Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default diabetic firefighters (type 1)

i want to be a firefighter. i am 14. our department has a jr. firefighting program for 16-18 yr olds. I am diabietic (type 1). since our department is volunteer, they have no health restrictions. however, i have heard about firefighters getting laid off because of diabetes in major cities. is that legal? also any diabetic firefighter with any advice how to stay in control while fighting fires would be helpful. thanks

We have a firefighter in my department who has juvenile diabetes but still got hired. As long as the diabetes can be controlled by medicine, I don't think they can hold it against you. I think that's part of ADA requirements. I never noticed that it caused him any problems during the academy.
    Last edited by rookiemove; 10-17-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Forum Member

i thought so too. but i also read that in 1998 a fdny firefighter adam simms i think was put on light duty deskwork. he started in i think 1989 but was diagnosed in '92, but no one found out until '98. from what i read he never got his job back with that department. diabetics are the same as everyone else. we can do the job just the same as anyone else. thank you for your response

I should have mentioned that we also have firefighters in my department who developed diabetes over their careers and are still on the line. I am not familiar with the case you mention. Did his diabetes develop to a point where he could not work safely on the fireground? If the department can document someone having a diabetic crisis while working, or having diabetes that is not controllable, that might give them grounds to take that person off the line. Can you call a national diabetes foundation and ask them about your employment rights?
    Last edited by rookiemove; 10-18-2005 at 03:51 PM.

Forum Member

it was a court document. it said from his doctor that he has had a clean medical record. it said he never had any emergencies with his diabetes while on the job. as far as calling i can email the american diabetes association for anything. like i said in my first post, i am 14. at 16 i can become a jr. firefighter/paramedic with my department here. here there is a firefighter that is diabetic (type1). i have been wanting to talk to him but since it is a volunteer department, the only time i get to talk to him is after a call. i just figured this would be a great way to meet others and their experiances as a diabetic firefighter. at first i wanted to join the military but they have a policy against diabetics. i will email the ada for any information. thanx

Forum Member

also what department do you work for?

Thread Information