Forum Member

Default Purchasing Committee frustrations!! Please give your 2 cents!!!

Long story short:

Once upon a time the line officers of the companies would spec out their own replacement rigs. They would then go to the board of commissioners and say "this is what we need, and why we need it" , and the purchase would be made. A certain company screwed that up bigtime in my department, so now the apparatus purchasing committee consists of (3)commissioners, (1) line officer to represent the company, and the Chief.

Now to my problem:

I have been trying to work with the commissioners to get this rig spec'ed and bid for the last year!! I have done all the homework, I have done all the research, and I have convinced the committee that what I have spec'ed, is what the company needs. The problem is the commissioners always throw the line "well, your just a rep of the company, we as commissioners make the final decision anyway", and I feel that my hard work and dedication is being taken for granted. The committee never seems to have time to meet, and when we do meet, the chairman asks if we have any changes, and when/if we do have changes, he tells us he has to go back to all the manufacturer's, and they will make the changes and re-submit a spec. Keep in mind that this is BEFORE we go out to bid!!! When it comes time for someone to sit down and go over the information, it always seems like I'm the one doing it.

Well, I've about had it. This rig should have been bid MONTHS ago, but instead, the commissioners fail to do their jobs, and it doesn't get done. I don't want to do this anymore, I don't want to have any part of it; BUT I feel that I have an obligation to the company to stay active in the committee, and make sure that things get done the way the members want it, and not the three commissioners.

So I come to my fellow brother firefighters for guidance; what do I do?? Do I stay on the committee, and continue to do all the grunt work? It's not like I don't have anything else to do, I'm a full time student working towards my BS degree, and I also work a f/t job! Or do I just say "f*ck it" , throw my hands up, and let them embarass themselves when they purchase us a rig that doesn't even resemble what the company needs?

Forum Member

Never be a quitter.

The commissioners won't be riding the trucks, you will. Fight till the end.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Cool been there

Been there, done that and still at it. If I lose I place the blame right where it belongs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Never be a quitter.

The commissioners won't be riding the trucks, you will. Fight till the end.
    bing-freakin-oh!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thank you gentlemen, I have decided to stay in and fight to the end, no matter how many toes I step on! I'll keep you updated

Thread Information