Forum Member

Default Junior Firefighter/historian

IN our junior fire department we have been up and going for about 2 years now and i have rare complaints , my father and our fire chief started the juniors and we all have been busy , we have officers and their titles are : Team Leader , Secretary , Historian . The only problems we have are our commisioners and insurance company not allowing us to go on any calls except grass fires. My question is are their any other junior fire departments with this problem. I have served as pat Team Leader and now I am the Historian and soon i will run for Secretary when my term for Historian is up, if u can answer my questions it will be well appreciated.

JUNIOR FIREFIGHTER
    JOSH HENNEMAN

MembersZone Subscriber

At what age can you be a Junior FF in your department? In ours there are Explorers (14-16yo) and Juniors (16-18yo).
    The Explorers are not considdered FF's, they can't go on calls, don't get gear. They can train with us and do our weekly drills as long as they're supervised. They are not insured by the department, but are picked up by the Boy Scouts, I believe.
    When they turn 16 they can become Junior FF's. They are members of the Department, get gear and can run calls. They are only allowed to take part in Exterior operations on a fire-ground and are not considdered "Pack qualified".
    Once they turn 18 they can become a full-fledged member of the department and can qualify for interior ops.

Forum Member

Angry

Many posts respond while some don't.

One question, how does the department feel about the explorers?

Our explorers are not allowed to go to the station or respond. They are very strict about this. To give you an idea, when I was an explorer, I also worked for another department with the city. The fire station happens to be in the same building as city hall. I would occasionally have to stop in, either because of my job or for personal reasons (I was also a city resident). I can't remember how many times I was in city hall taking care of buisness and somone from the station (usually someone who didn't like the explorers) saw me and decided to raise a big stink that I was 'responding.' Then I'd get the 20 question routine. Did I mention I never set foot in the station? After several rounds of this nonesense, I ended up telling them that what I was doing is none of their buisness unless I'm in the fire hall.

One can only respond if they are 18, FF1&2, passed the county written and physical firefighter test, passed all background, drug and driving record test, CPR card, and hold a current medical license.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department has an explorer program, and they can't respond to structure or wildland fires. They can, however, report to the station after mopup to help with securing the apparatus (nothing like help at 3am after a -20 degree house fire), of course attend training nights and learn some of the basics. And in the past some of the most dependable/trustoworthy ones have had the "priviledge" of responding to the station and setting up water suppy (getting everything in place for water shuttle operation so the tenders can just hook & refill).

For us, the program is more about the firefighting TRAINING than the FIREFIGHTER training. When they turn 18, they will have a good jumpstart on everyone else their age because the'll already know the trucks/tools/tactics.

My three cents worth.

Forum Member

Here at my department, you can be a junior when you turn 16, and after a 2 month probationary period you are given a pager, and can respond to any/all calls however we are restricted to exterior operations until we turn 18 and take FF1. We do the drills with all the regular guys, and we learn alot so we have a little bit of an advantage once we reach fire school
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

our department is quetionable about our junior fire dept , but we are NOT explorers i get frustrated sometimes with the petty bull crap.

Forum Member

WE DO get pagers and can respond but most of the time we do mop-up and dont get credit for it by the other firefighters , Sometimes we do though so i cant say never but i had a minitor 3 pager then i gave it back for my minitor 2 becase the minitor 3 sucked and had 1 frequency and the antenna sucked.

Forum Member

JuniorJJHenn,

Don't be too mad with what you guys do. Be lucky you get a Minitor 2, I am the only guy on the post with a pager and it is a Minitor 1. I love it though.

We can respond if we are called by incident command, and we will first have to drive with normal traffic to the station before heading to the incident. WE have yet to get called out while I have been on as the IC is usually too busy to remember to call us, but if they get a run right before of during one of our explorer meetings and hose needs to be washed and repacked or the tank filled, we usually do it or assist the firefighters.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

RFRDxplorer i am glad to have ours and it is the same case our incident command forgets to call us in see my department is mainly mutual aid department and we are not allowed to respond to mutual aid calls due to insurance so when we do have a fire of our own in our district we are forgotten my incident command, but i guess i could see why they forget us tooo. do u have anyother problems with your explorer post

Juniorfirefighter
    Josh

Thread Information