Homeland Security Commercial Equipment Direct Assistance Program
    Rural Emergency Responders Initiative
    Dept. of Natural Resources Volunteer Fire Assistance Grant Program
    First Responder Institute
    US Department of Agriculture's Rural Development Community Programs
    US Fish & Wildlife Service Rural Fire Assistance Program

MembersZone Subscriber

TUMS Grant-In-Aid

You can also go to www.boundtreegrants.com. By filling out a 14 section needs assessment, Boundtree will e-mail you prospective grant opportunities. This service is free. Other services such as grant writing etc. do have costs associated with them.

I recieved 3 e-mails last week for grants to look into.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncfpd1
    Rural Emergency Responders Initiative
    Dept. of Natural Resources Volunteer Fire Assistance Grant Program
    US Department of Agriculture's Rural Development Community Programs
    US Fish & Wildlife Service Rural Fire Assistance Program
    Any websites or contact information for Illinois for any of the above programs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Think outside the box. Indiana SEMA did a two day seminar on the basics of grant funding last summer. Tedious weekend, but it was well-spent. There were a lot of ideas that changed hands, and most of them were concepts. For example:
    We recently talked about something we may want to purchase. It was made from recycled material, so i sent an inquiry to our local solid waste district to see if they had a source. The director is now taking our (very informal) funding request to her board in two weeks. I have a total of 20 minutes invested in that one, which may result in a $2,500 award. It may be a few months before we learn, but we're not competing with other departments on this one.
    There are lists (books) of foundations and organizations--takes some legwork to sort out who may want to fund the project you need. I'm learning that there is a lot of "non-competitive" funding hiding under some rocks out there.
    Good Luck!!
    earl

Forum Member

Actually, the TUMS Grant-In-Aid funding is no longer available.

Forum Member

Some of the major automotive manufacturers have established non-for profit organizations that will either donate money or have a grant process that you can apply for. I know that DaimlerChrysler is one of them. Most of them however will not fund vehicles (which seems odd to me). We had originally looked at them to try and get a tow vehicle for our fire safety trailer.

I also know that there are other organizations in some communities that are looking for projects to do. Some agencies like the Lions Club or Shriners, etc, are willing to do the labor of the projects if you provide the material. So maybe you need to paint the station, or put on an addition, but you don't have the money to pay for the contractor and you don't have the time for your guys to do it themselves. These are other options.

Right now we're looking at local businesses and other local resources to provide for lettering, decals, and potentially a tow vehicle for the fire safety trailer. Don't overlook what's in your own back yard.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    Actually, the TUMS Grant-In-Aid funding is no longer available.
    Wow, I just got on the website and hit apply and it says

"Applications are no longer accepted at this time
    as the program has come to a conclusion.
    We are searching for a new sponsor so please check back regularly."

Glad that I got my application in before the deadline this time. Had really thought about waiting until the next quarter to apply. Anyone else have any insight on this?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

People are eating better and not getting indigestion?

Or Zantac OTC and the others are cutting into profits.

SBC Excelerator program is available for funding technology related solutions up to $25K, or if more than one organization is involved, $50K.
    http://www.sbc.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=6417

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    People are eating better and not getting indigestion?

Or Zantac OTC and the others are cutting into profits.
    I prefer Pepcid

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    SBC Excelerator program is available for funding technology related solutions up to $25K, or if more than one organization is involved, $50K.
    http://www.sbc.com/gen/landing-pages?pid=6417
    Like what kind of technology related solutions?

MembersZone Subscriber

There are also numerous state/local private foundation funding that is sometimes more difficult to get, but like Earl mentioned, less competitve. I have had departments tell me in workshops they have gotten 'blown off' by the Board of Directors, but then again, others have been more successful.

Basically, it's better if you have a project to take to them to request funding. Similar to a narrative...you lay it out with similar headings, etc. and approach it like that. You're trying to justify to them why they should fund you. They may be suprised at how professional you look (Make sure everything is spelled correctly and the English is right, often the non-profits are a little more picky than the fire grant...just a friendly tip)

A suggestion from someone who does this for a living...before you send these in, you need to work the 'politics' of the local funding. Meaning, you probably know the Board members of those non-profits. They are more than likely your bankers, realtors, neighbors, etc. You need to make sure they are aware of your need, and know you will be applying.

You can access the local grant info one of two ways: A trip to a larger branch of your Public Library to find a set of the Foundation Directory - or subscribe to their online version (which I do). It's a monthly charge (or yearly) but worth it, if you plan to need alot of funding for a large project (building a new station, for example).

http://fconline.fdncenter.org/

It's used primarily more for professional grant writers, but it's a great data base of grants and foundations available by category - by state or even city! Good Luck!
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

SBC will award anything from wireless internet solutions, broadband, computers, PDAs, funds for software. Just about anything that's cutting edge technology that can enhance service delivery to the public.

As Alana said, there are hundreds of outlets for funding, but it will take time to dig them all up.

Thread Information