Forum Member

Talking Elsanor Fire/Rescue

If yyou get a chance come on down and visit our new web site! It's www.elsanorfire.com.
    I've been working over the web site and looking for some new input, opinions, etc....! I'm the Captain of the Elsanor Fire Dept. Just drop us a line or two and let us know what ya think!
    Thanks guys
    Captain Steve Williams
    Last edited by TheLineman; 04-08-2006 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Updated web pages!

Forum Member

Steve

I am a new guy to this forum...but I have been in web advertising and looking 100's of websites weekly for about 5 years.

honest opinion....I think there is too many thigns moving and flashing on your site and some of the backgrounds make it hard to read the text.

I woudl even go with a lighter Background color on the main page, rather than black....even just lightening it up a few shades would probabaly help.

I am in the process of developing a site for our local Dept. as soon as I get it live and a few pages up, I too will report here. Good luck adn drop a line if you have other ?'s.

The Russman
    (firemonkey13)

Forum Member

Talking Thanks for the "honest opinion"

Thanks Russman for your opinion! I guess web sites are kinda like a hamburger! Some like it all the way while some others like it with only mustard or ketchup only! I realise that I've got alot of "Flashy" items on the page which can slow page loading progress and some of the pages might be improved upon, but, It's a work in progress and the guys in our department love it! I guess it really is only a matter of opinion. Anyway good luck with your webpage when you get it up and running. Lots of luck!
    The Lineman!

Forum Member

glad to show my "burger"

good job and I commend you for designing your site yoruself and tryign to do it all internally.

I am way new to our Dept. and I have been dabbling with computers for 7 years or so, just in spare time....so it was really easy for me to ask about setting up a site once I joined up.

Keep it up man.

The Russman

Forum Member

Talking Thanks!

Thanks Russman, I too have been fooling with computers since around about 1990 or so and have been building them for friends for the last 9 years. As for web sites I really didn't have the time to tinker around with designing sites until a few of years ago, and those sites were freebiees also! Recently, I've received several inquires from other local departments about helping them design web pages so..... I guess I'll be helping them also! Just another way of Volunteering my time! After all, I'm a born Volunteer... I'm a CubMaster, Ball Coach, etc....... Anyway Russman, Be safe out there and Thanks again for the nice comments.
    The Lineman
    Steve Williams

Forum Member

Default I like it

I like it.. I am the same way.. I like them clutterd and flashey.. ours is.. I care what others think myself, but I need others to check out my sight and tell me what i need to change... I think your doing a great job.. Keep it up..

The "fire" soundbite.. I wish you would email that to me..
    jeffkrc@burkfire.org

thanks
    www.burkfire.org

Forum Member

Talking Thanks Jeff

Thanks for the nice comments Jeff! as for the sound byte, check your email! Have a great day and Be Safe Out There!!

Forum Member

Default post your sites

You can post your site(s) on our link page to try and get some more traffic.....

Forum Member

Talking

Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

In my experience with websites I will offer the following to consider:

Who is your audience? Are you trying to inform your members, or the public, or promote your department to others in the fire service? It can be all three if you want.

I would recomend using your different audience(s) to outline you navigation. i.e. Keep public safety, department information and information on volunteering close because they are both of interest to the public. Where as a drill schedule, and meeting announcements are geared to the membership and likewise are better off close together.

Lastly, consider what you put 'above the fold' to use the newspaper term. This is what you can see when your page loads without having to scroll down, or click to another part of the site. This part of the site should identify your department, as well as tease visitors (from all audience groups) further into your site. A general idea would be a picute to lead people to your pictures section, an upcoming date to lead members to a calendar page, a safety tip to lead to a public education page...

As far as how flashy/serious/colorful... That is up to you (and your audience(s)) What ever works to get your message out to the audience.

Every website is forever a work in progress and the content/layout options are endless, but you are off to a great start. If you have any questions you can email me at anytime.

I hope my 2 cents helped.

Rob

Forum Member

Made some changes, hope ya'll like em guys!

Thread Information