• P85

1 1.96%
  • Other non Listed hood

2 3.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Fire Hoods

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Hoods

Our department has been using the short nomex hoods and several times small incidences have happened. Well we are moving to larger hoods but not sure which kind. WE are debating on The cabron hoods, the P85 and PBI. All vented or non-vented hearing several things about all. I heard the carbon may not as good as it seems to be even though it is farely new, due to the heat mainly that it keeps inside the hood. I have also heard htat the vented tops took all the heat to the top of the inside of the helmet. What does everyone suggest. The guy I spoke to didnt even mention nomex as he felt it was inferior quality. Our service is trying ot better its firemen but we need some other resources before we decide. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I like my carbon hood. never had a problem with it.

I personally do not like the vented hood.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

I have heard from a couple guys on my department their carbon hoods have worn holes in them from normal use. Some of the guys still use them, but I have no experience with them.

Wouldn't want a vented hood, incase the helmet got knocked off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by erics99
    I have heard from a couple guys on my department their carbon hoods have worn holes in them from normal use. Some of the guys still use them, but I have no experience with them.

Wouldn't want a vented hood, incase the helmet got knocked off.
    We had two guys in a minor training burn get 2nd and 3rd degree burns on their ears this evening...carbon waffleknit hoods.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you believe in wearing a hood the best hood to wear in my opinion is the Reed hood. (Mostly worn in Houston) Best hood I have ever worn and I have tried them all.

To all those that will talk crap about wearing a bunker coat around my head
    If you haven't tried it then how do you know.
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Mine is black.

HNFC FF/President

My company uses PBI hoods. We have never had an incident where our guys got burned through the hoods. They are very dependable to us.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Hfd,My opinions on Reeds are pretty well known.If you look around the country you'll find the outfits that use them are predominately in your area.They don't seem to have a big following outside of Texas.Yeah.I know there are a few areas but they aren't real popular.Why do you suppose that is? My feelings on them are that if you NEED a Reed to make the attack,not only are you putting your crew at risk but there are a few other pieces of the puzzle missing.Like adequate Vent/ladder company operations.Plus the degrading conditions of the structure under that much heat not to mention any potential victims.I know they seem to work well for you guys,but I'm not interested. If you like 'em,I'm pretty sure my thoughts aren't apt to sway your opinion. But just like the "new"gear I believe it allows personnel to "go"where maybe they should be thinking about leaving(too hot,too deep).Only time will tell if I'm right. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-20-2005 at 12:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

T.C. The Reed Hood is like any new piece of gear or equipment. There is all ways a plus and a minus. That is why I stated (in my opinion) Years ago I was made fun of by old heads because I put on bunker pants and A SOCK HOOD now today hip boots and no hoods is a thing of the past. It took sometime for me to get used to wearing the hood, because I had to rethink the way I entered the building, just like guys have had to do from switching from hip boots and no hoods to bunker pants and sock hoods. For me I like the added protection around the thing I care about then most. My head and neck. Wearing the hood does not replace me having to pay attention to my surroundings and be aware of the conditions Iím presented with. And all though many do not like the hood (of course I would say I bet 99% of not tried it) there have been many lives and property saved by using the hood. Again this is just my opinion.

Just curious have you ever tried one? I know you said that your opinion is well known and Iím not trying to be smart with you, but this is the first I have talked to you about so Iím just curious why you don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Hfd,My opinions on Reeds are pretty well known.If you look around the country you'll find the outfits that use them are predominately in your area.They don't seem to have a big following outside of Texas.Yeah.I know there are a few areas but they aren't real popular.Why do you suppose that is? My feelings on them are that if you NEED a Reed to make the attack,not only are you putting your crew at risk but there are a few other pieces of the puzzle missing.Like adequate Vent/ladder company operations.Plus the degrading conditions of the structure under that much heat not to mention any potential victims.I know they seem to work well for you guys,but I'm not interested. If you like 'em,I'm pretty sure my thoughts aren't apt to sway your opinion. But just like the "new"gear I believe it allows personnel to "go"where maybe they should be thinking about leaving(too hot,too deep).Only time will tell if I'm right. T.C.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

i've never tried one, let alone seen one in real life. But doesn't that flap in front mess with your facepiece on the SCBA? If someone could please tell me more about them I'd be grateful. All i'eve ever seen of the Reed Hood is from online catalogs.

Forum Member

Hfd, I tried one a while back on a burn building fire.I don't even know where it came from(a salesman I think) as they aren't used around here.I equate it to a fire entry suit we used to have here.In EXPERIENCED hands they might be a good thing. Our personnel are,for the most part,a pretty experienced lot and I can see them getting in a world of hurt with a Reed. They get in deeper now with a sock than some of them have experience for.I can't imagine wearing a Reed in the Texas heat but I guess it's all in what you're used to.Having spent half my career(+ or-) in 3/4's and a long coat I understand what you're saying about rethinking and adapting. The most amusing part of that is when the "new" generation of FF's come on here and tell me you can't fight todays fires in the old ensemble. The heaviest fire in my career was fought in;GUESS WHAT?,the OLD stuff. But with experienced hands and good truck work. Would I let the "pups" do it today? No,because they don't get the run volume(fires) nor is the work ethic(attitude) the same. But I still kinda miss the old stuff when the humidity and the mercury are in the upper ninety to hundred range. Like you say,it's all in what you're used to. For us,that's full PPE with a sock. T.C.

Forum Member

The most amusing part of that is when the "new" generation of FF's come on here and tell me you can't fight todays fires in the old ensemble.
    We do it everyday and have fun doing it. You can keep bunkers as far as I'm concerned.

MembersZone Subscriber

hfd838,

Could you, or someone else for that matter, please post a picture of the Reed hood being worn by someone from your dept.? I've only found pictures of it on the manufaturer's website - which does me little justice of seeing how it is worn / incorporated into the rest of the gear ensemble. I tried unsuccessfully to get one sent to me for a trial but the vendor refused to send a sample.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

En6ine
    I was amazed as I looked through all my pics that I had no real good pic of the hood, so when I get to work today I will snap some shots off and get them to you....

Needlejockey
    The flap in the front doesn't get in the way because it wraps around the bottom part of your mask just under the reg. I'll post some pics here soon

For all those that don't know. The Reed Hood was designed By Captain Reed a 30 year Houston firefighter (hence the name Reed Hood) People say it like wearing a bunker coat around your head...well, to a point it's true the hood is made from the same material and has the same layers as a bunker coat. There are pluses and minuses of the hood. I am not going to say that it is perfect or that some cases made against this hood are not correct. I'm not that signal minded to say that just because I use it is the best or that it is the only way. I just believe for me and the way I fight fire. I would not wear anything else.

When I get the pics posted I will explain more for those that are interested.
    For those that are against the hood. I do welcome a good debut as long as at the end of the day we show respect to each other and each otherís opinions

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Chicago,How's the bunker changeover coming? You're gonna love it,(snicker).Maybe you get lucky and do it Boston style. Now REMEMBER you CAN'T fight today's fires in 3/4's;it's not ethical,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Chicago,How's the bunker changeover coming? You're gonna love it,(snicker).Maybe you get lucky and do it Boston style. Now REMEMBER you CAN'T fight today's fires in 3/4's;it's not ethical,Hehe T.C.
    No change yet! The city had a bunch of sets in the field for testing (I talked to four guys who were part of the test and not one liked the stuff) and after the tests finished they picked the ones "the guys" liked. Fortunatly the union checked with "the guys" and found out NO ONE picked that brand - it was the cheapest! So the whole process came to a halt and I haven't heard a word about it since (thank god). Hopefully the whole thing just goes away now.

Thread Information