MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any Michigan Firefighters?

Hey, I'm a 20 year old fire cadet at a local community college and was wondering if there are any firefigthers from michigan that visit this forum. Maybe we could possibly start a thread posting job openings and just talking about local fire news in the state of michigan.

P.S. I'm taking my state practical/exam in 2 weeks so if you have any tips or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

where are you taking your academy at?

and as far as the job posting thread, its a hit or miss there are some websites that post it, but i havent seen any recently.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Academy

Oakland Communty College Auburn Hills Campus (CREST site)

MembersZone Subscriber

good luck on your state boards, its not as hard as everybody makes it out to be..i guess depending on how you were taught.

where do you live? you should try to get on that towns FD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Reply

Thanks, we were taught pretty well. My lowest test score has been and 84%, so I'm not that concerned about the written final, but the state practical is what make me nervous. They really havent told us all of the events that are on it and everytime it seems like a different instructor is teaching an event, they tell us something different. I understand that people and deparments all do things differently, but when you have to get a 100% in an event and you get three different ways to do it, it becomes very frustrating. When did you take your practical/written exam? Any pointers you can give me about what events are going to be covered on the practical, or what subjects I should focus on for the state written? Also, what departments are you talking about? Sorry, I live in Royal Oak/Southfield area

Forum Member

Default Practical testing

The State FF I and II practical consist of 12 stations. I can't recall exactly what they all are. I do know a few; ropes and knots, hose streams, power and lighting, SCBA, Forcible entry tools, Search and Rescue, Water supply, ladders. They are all fairly easy if you have studied up. There was a form on the MFFTC website that listed the requirements and what is done. I may even have some other stuff to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information about the stations. Any additional info would be great. Do you happen to know the website? Thanks again

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I too am a graduate of o.c.c fire training institute, it is one of the best in the state and is the only one that has a live fire training program. I am sure you have been in the burn box already and gone up to crest several times by now. Just rely on your training and you will succeed, you should have seen some of the dopes in my graduationg class....they made it and so will you. you only have two stations that are 100% and one timed donning...so if you have the opportunity to train with other guys at a fire station or even in your house doing search and rescue, I would recomend you do so...the written is not that hard and the instructors all give you the run around, but you did get a class syllabus in the beginning of training and that should have all the info you need. you really should get together with at least two of your pals and spend some time honing your skills...a refresher if you will. It can't hurt and it wil definetly help you. You know this stuff!!! Thats what you have been trained to do so get to it and good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by drawn2flames
    the only one that has a live fire training program.

acutally i think theres 4 or 5...

MCC has had a live fire burn for a while. i grudated from there

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WaffleHut
    acutally i think theres 4 or 5...

MCC has had a live fire burn for a while. i grudated from there
    I think GR has one too
    Smoke Detectors Save Lives!!!!

Thread Information