MembersZone Subscriber

Question Grant Amendment Response Time

I put in a grant amendment last month. Does any one know how long it takes the DHS to approve or deny amendments?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

We did several on our last grant, seems like 3-4 weeks each time.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. We entered it on 9/23. Guess I will just have to wait....

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Quick amendment reply.

I sent an amendment request at around 0100 hours on the 7th of this month. The approval reply was received on the afternoon of the same day that the request was made.

MembersZone Subscriber

andersonnhc, many of the staff FPS are in Emmitsburg working on 06 AFG PG and also getting prepared for the FP&S peer review. They only have 30-40 staff people so amendments might be a little slow for a couple of weeks. Be patient and follow through in about 7 days with a email and or phone call. They have usually been very responsive this year to requests.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

So what happens if your request is time sensitive? Our performance period ends today. Monday night we realized we needed to file an extension.

MembersZone Subscriber

Procrastination, the bane of FPS. get on the phone today and don't stop calling until you have talked to an FPS either in DC or at regional FEMA office.. Get a followup email from them and email them. Document everything!Put this at the TOP OF THE TO DO LIST TODAY! Don;t let Wilma hit and them get tied up with that aftermath beofoe they know about your problem.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

You do have the 90 days (after the end of the period) to close out everything, so am sure since you have made the necessary attempts, LEAVE MESSAGES, SEND EMAILS, try the alternate contacts, there are usually more than one rep for an area...and then you will have to perhaps try on Monday. Since the date and time will be documented on their VMs and emails, they can see that you did in fact call prior to the end of the deadline, and will perhaps have some mercy.

However, I don't usually recommend waiting until the week of the deadline before making that call. I know you won't be resting easy. The unfortunate thing is, alot of the DC and DHS folks don't work Fridays. They have a rotating schedule, since they travel so much for the workshops and the site visits, to cut down on OT and such, so almost every other Friday they are off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry What! One day!

You got a response in a day and I have been waiting for a month? I have made three phone calls to my FPS and each time I get should be anytime soon. Well I am glad someone is getting responses. I guess I will have to ask them in person next month when I am at Emmitsburg for Leadership training. Maybe if I buy them a couple of beers at the Ott House (I think that is the name of the bar) they will get to my amendment quicker!

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503
    I sent an amendment request at around 0100 hours on the 7th of this month. The approval reply was received on the afternoon of the same day that the request was made.

MembersZone Subscriber

It just all depends upon what workload they are working with andersonhc and what "previous" relationship you have established with them. The better you get to know them, the better they are at dealing with your indivdiual problems. It is about networking too, so maybe bendig a few elbows with them would be a good idea. By the way, did you establish a documention of your emails and phone calls? If not, be sure to do so , you may need it later. CYA!
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Well 2 weeks ago I called the helpdesk and explained my situation. I was then transferred to the regional guy. I left a message explaining my situation and both my home and cell number. I NEVER HEARD ANYTHING.

So I sent an email through the FEMA Grant login. Got a response there that I needed to create an amendment. I did this, about 5 days before the period was up.

Now you guys have me worried. Lets just say the don't approve it. Do I lose the money I haven't requested? I can't see why they would not approve it, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Calling them now.

Forum Member

Oh well, cripes. Can't get the grant page to load. Who has the helpdesk number handy?

Forum Member

1-866-274-0960. I left a message.

It's not as much procrastination as it is the vendor being backed up. We haven't received our generator yet and cannot pay for it until they build it. We also cannot get a bill from the installer either, since he obviously cannot bill us until he does the work.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    1-866-274-0960. I left a message.

It's not as much procrastination as it is the vendor being backed up. We haven't received our generator yet and cannot pay for it until they build it. We also cannot get a bill from the installer either, since he obviously cannot bill us until he does the work.
    All the hurricanes in FLA least year, along with the usual here in NC, and the ones in the Gulf Coast this year have (I am sure) created a backlog for the Generator Vendors. This is a legitimate reason and since you have been trying to get "Help" from the (un)Help Desk (standard) and then got shuffled around (ALL of which I would document).

What I would do this afternoon, Right now, in fact, is send a long email to your Grants Management person, explaining everything that has happened up until now. I would give names, dates and times, if you have them, for sure. CYA, as Kurt so graciously stated! GOOD LUCK. If anyone has a case for an extension, if has to be a generator sales company (over-worked, back-logged, as they have to be!)

Forum Member

Website is still down for me. Can any one else access the AFG login?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    Website is still down for me. Can any one else access the AFG login?
    It's up for me.

What you need to do, is open up a new page, click on Tools (across the top of page, beside favorites), then click on Internet Options, then Click on Delete Cookies. This will erase all the old pages it is remembering (where the pages wouldn't load, apparently). It will also, erase all your passwords that Windows has memorized, so, beware, if you don't know them! But it should help with your problem. DHS' website is extremely sensitive and have know several departments that had to do this...

Good Luck!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

With everything going on and their ranks being thin and whatnot, I don't see anyone up there suddenly being unreasonable about the extensions, amendments, etc. At least y'all are trying to make contact, which gives you more credit than others that are sitting back waiting for DHS to call and say 'you're late'. At which point, it is.

Thread Information