MembersZone Subscriber

Question Leather or Rubber Structural Firefighting Boots?

I am a firefighter in Memphis, TN and am looking for some feedback concerning turnout boots. I am currently working on my final project at The University Of Memphis, and would like some info from firefighters and not just from manufacturers. I am wondering what type of boots are being worn in different departments and areas around the country. Do you wear leather or rubber boots? What type of boots does your department supply? Which type of boot do you feel is more comfortable, durable, and safer? Do you feel that leather boots are worth the added expense, and if so do you buy your own, or would you buy your own if they were not supplied to you? if anyone can help me by answering these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Please, feel free to add any tales or experiences to your remarks. Thanks to everyone who responds.

Forum Member

Our department issues the Pull-up and Zipper Haix. I would never go back to rubber boots and would try to purchase leather boots if they werent provided. I've never had a problem with my leather boots, but others have worn their toes to the metal after the fire academy. I use the pull-ups myself and haven't heard anything wrong with the zip-up models.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mlavoie
    I am a firefighter in Memphis, TN and am looking for some feedback concerning turnout boots. I am currently working on my final project at The University Of Memphis, and would like some info from firefighters and not just from manufacturers. I am wondering what type of boots are being worn in different departments and areas around the country. Do you wear leather or rubber boots? What type of boots does your department supply? Which type of boot do you feel is more comfortable, durable, and safer? Do you feel that leather boots are worth the added expense, and if so do you buy your own, or would you buy your own if they were not supplied to you? if anyone can help me by answering these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Please, feel free to add any tales or experiences to your remarks. Thanks to everyone who responds.
    I wear leather boots..Warrington Pro 5000s

The Department issued turnout boots are Ranger or Servus rubber boots.

For comfort, durability and safety: leather! Mine fit and feel like a pair of my favorite atheltic shoes.They are worth the added expense!

I used my uniform clothing allowance to get mine. Should they need replacement, the City will pay the amount for the standard issue rubbers, the difference would come out of my uniform clothing allowance.

Some people question wearing leather fire boots when dealing with hazardous materials. SInce the gear you wear is more than likely contaminated and would be replaced by the insurance company for the creator of the incident, this is a moot point.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I have said it many times before. If I could only buy one thing for the fire department it would be leather boots. My department issues them but I do own a pair in my personal gear.

Its like having a shoe on. Uncomfortable feet can make for a very long day.

the main issue I have with leathers is they are damn slippery in the snow.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Most of the career departments in Texas issue rubber boots.

Forum Member

we issue rubbers ..........but you can buy leathers.........I have and will NOT go back.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

recently got leathers ... will never ever, ever, ever go back....ever. Of all the "crap", "gizmos" and "Do-hickeys" that we buy in this service, LEATHER BOOTS ARE THE BEST.

Also, do a search on this... there was a thread on this recently and they had alot of experienced guys chiming in.

STLRES2CUE

Forum Member

Leather.
    The only time I wore rubber is in fire academy. The main advantage as already stated: comfort.
    The only issue I've ever had is while going through training (after getting hired my department puts you through 12 weeks of training, even if fire certified), the toe gets extremely worn from crawling around. This was easily fixed by keeping a nice layer of duct tape on the toe cap. Would I purchase my own if not issued? I don't know, but it would be hard to switch back to rubber after wearing leather (Warrington)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firefight99
    Leather.
    The only time I wore rubber is in fire academy. The main advantage as already stated: comfort.
    The only issue I've ever had is while going through training (after getting hired my department puts you through 12 weeks of training, even if fire certified), the toe gets extremely worn from crawling around. This was easily fixed by keeping a nice layer of duct tape on the toe cap. Would I purchase my own if not issued? I don't know, but it would be hard to switch back to rubber after wearing leather (Warrington)

you can also take it to a shoe repair place and they will put a piece of leather over the toe for you.
    thanks what I did with my first pair
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

i realy like leather boots, fit better and more comfie.! but they also are harder to clean, unlike rubber. My FD in New Jersey provide either rubber or leather its up to the FF.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department issues rubber boots, but many of us have opted to purchase our own leather boots. The comfort and fit of leather is superior. I also think they feel warmer in the winter months than the rubber boots.

Forum Member

Recruits are issued Rubber Boots, upon graduation from the Academy for Career folks they are issued leather boots, Volunteers are issued leather once they have qualified FF-I/II.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

The department I work for in north central texas supplies either, it's you're choice, and they furnish LaCrosse from Fire tech.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go with leather........Head and Toes!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ves9102

That's exactly what I did!

I have had my own N6A for years (my new red N6A is on its way as I type this), and about three years ago I bought myself a pair of Warrington Pro 5000's.

I think the 5000 indicates how many times better they are than the Ranger rubbers our dept. issues!

I wear a size 16, and they are soooo much more comfortable and lighter I couldn't believe it.

Kevin :-)

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ves9102

That's exactly what I did!

I have had my own N6A for years (my new red N6A is on its way as I type this), and about three years ago I bought myself a pair of Warrington Pro 5000's.

I think the 5000 indicates how many times better they are than the Ranger rubbers our dept. issues!

I wear a size 16, and they are soooo much more comfortable and lighter I couldn't believe it.

Kevin :-)

BTW, Why does my profile say "Guest"? I registered over two weeks ago.

Forum Member

My Dept issues rubber, and will not allow us to wear leather firefighting boots. Their justification is something about refusing to be responsible for buying new if they get contaminated at a hazmat incident. Having spent 13 years on the job without ever having been on a hazmat incident requiring decon, I said I'd replace them out of my own pocket. Answer still NO, they wouldn't be the same as everyone elses. After that, the Chief threatened to write up a guy who was caught wearing them at an outlying station-when a Deputy Chief had given him permission.

Forum Member

Default Go With Leather

My department recently began issusing leather boots to all firefighters. Prior to that, I had purchased my own pair. They are the only way to go these days. A man is only as good as his feet, if he is uncomfortable all day he will not perform his best. Firefighters spend a lot of time in there boots on calls and need good quality foot support and comfort that any rubber boot just can not provide.

Forum Member

[Most of the career departments in Texas issue rubber boots.]

I guess mine is the exception.
    "Dont forget to wear your Reed"
    "When you buy junk, you now own junk"

J.Brown

Forum Member

Default Leather vs rubber

I guess this is as good as place as any to ask this. I have always wore rubber boots but was thinking about leather. Some of the guys have leather and like them, the only complaint is that they get floppy and are hard to get on in a hurry. Some have also had the pull loops come off. Any thoughts about these issues would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nail200
    Most career departments around this part of Texas issue leather boots. Our department will face a major uprising if we were to attempt to return to rubber boots.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Originally Posted by Nail200
    Also, Houston FD also issues leather boots.

Originally Posted by MrIrons
    Some have also had the pull loops come off. Any thoughts about these issues would be appreciated.
    I wear a pair of leather boots that are made by Knapp. They eliminated the loops that are sewn into the boot. They cut an oval on each side of the boot at the top. No more pulling out of tabs.

Copy this link
    http://www.nafeco.com/ProductDetails...ductID=N502-XX
    "Dont forget to wear your Reed"
    "When you buy junk, you now own junk"

J.Brown

Thread Information