MembersZone Subscriber

Default Was wanting some advise

on what i should do first would like to get a costume and a smoke house for the schools in my area where do i start ????????????????

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Even though you may not be applying for it through the FP grant program since the application period closed a couple of weeks ago, you still want to do an assessment. Look at the current FP program you have and get surveys on how effective they are by finding out how much the kids remember about fire safety. If they don't remember anything, then improvements are neeed. Even if you end up going before private funding such at the Fireman's Fund Heritage Program, you'll still need proof that what you are proposing will actually solve the problem.

If you have no FP program now, even as simple as visiting schools and talking, then you'll have to try that before you claim that a smoke house and costume are the only answers. As I said in my presentation at the IAFC-SW conference yesterday: if you are making no effort on your own to solve the problem, that is instant evidence that the project's desired effects aren't that important to you either, so they won't consider them a priorty and the application will be denied. You have to be doing something in order for you to claim it isn't working.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

Ok well we do goto the school and talk and have a maze thing they go threw i just want to get more in to what they need to do if there is a fire so trying to see all what i need to try and apply for a grant to get a smoke house we can get one for a different county but not always

MembersZone Subscriber

I might add that when you are trying to develop a "fire safety quiz" for the students that you should take a good hard look at what the safety house is designed to teach. Ask yourself, what is it that this excercise is going to teach them? Then structure your questions around those answers. That will certainly help in justifying that the information that is lacking in your students, is what the trailer is designed to teach. You should also inlolve an elementary school educator in the devleopment of your "safety quiz" so that it is phrased appropriately for the age group it will be adminstered to.

You will want to give this test to the students prior to making application for the trailer, as the trailer will be justified based on the responses that you recieve and compile from the quiz.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ok so it looks

like i need to start by comming up with a quiz for different age groups right now we go and opnly teach k-3 so i would wonder how the kids would do in the older classes any help is very welcomed i have never done this but really would like to try and upgrade it we do have a college and nusry home in town is that something that can be used?

MembersZone Subscriber

The specific age catagories that are the targeted age groups of 14 yoa and younger and senior citizens 65 yers of age and older.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

It is going to be very hard to test pre-school however; from there on up you should target yout tests to two grades at a time 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th, 7th-8th.

The test for seniors will have to be targeted according to what the trailer or your curriculum is designed to educate them on.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information