Forum Member

Default Safer Dear Johns

Well we just recieved our Dear John for the SAFER today. One thing that confuses me is; we did not make the peer review in SAFER according to our DJ, and states we did not follow the Grant guidlines.

We are some smart cookies and we DID follow the guidlines!!! Time for us to look at our application.

It also states that next years guidlines may not be the same as this years, so study up all!!!!!

Forum Member

Got our Safer Dear John today also, still haven't heard anything on the AFG yet

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Dear John;

I think I'm going to change my name to John. Got the DJ for AFG last week, got the DJ for safer today, bumming big time. So many needs only so much $$$. Already planning for next year, everybody out there keep up the great info. I will be using a lot of it to improve our future grant requests.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sorry to hear about the DJs everyone.

Culpster - don't read too much into the DJ's wording. If everyone followed the guidelines, then those that didn't make PR would still get a DJ that said they didn't. It's just a form letter.

Although some didn't because out of 2800 apps, 1800 were kicked because of incomplete or incorrect information in the application itself. The rest may have followed the guidelines, but pure competition knocked some out of the race.

I'm assuming that the letter stated that you didn't get to the second phase or Peer Review, or however they're wording it?

- Brian

Forum Member

Thats right, it says that we didnt make the peer review. I am not really reading into the letter because when we filled out the questions on the application, all the information that was there from the AFG was still there, so all that info was identical and we did not have anything change. I believe that there were a couple different questions but not many.

We believe that we made it to the peer review with our AFG, so we are still waiting to hear on that one.

From 64 million to 110 million (325 firefighters to 550 firefighters); boy an extra 225 firefighters (an average of about 10 FF's per state) across the U.S. and some other little po-dunk places... WE NEED MORE FUNDING!!! Plus, our communities need to get off their duff and and put politics asside to put more firefighters on!!! Our community sees putting a new firefighter on as a burden to the tax payers when our combination department has a hard time responding an engine during 0700 to 1900...

MembersZone Subscriber

It seems DHS is really keen on awarding SCBA/TIC packages with AFG this year. We're all Volunteer and have received our award for 18 new MSA packs and a Bullard T3 MAX TIC. Foley Fire (combination dept) is the next jurisdiction over, and they received their AFG for 40 new SCBA, and also were awarded SAFER for $600,000 in the first round. I know of alot of departments that went for a structural firefighting package (SCBA/TIC) and got it. However, I do know some depts down here that have already got their DJ. If you haven't gotten one by now hopefully you might still have a shot!
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Forum Member

i was told when i came in this mornig that the chief had received a dear john a couple days ago on safer and not told anybody. im the one on these forums getting info every shift and he didnt even tell me! he will here about it tommorow

Forum Member

Poland, right next to Russia, Town that is.

Lightbulb

So if you haven't recieved your DJ yet and haven't recieved questions yet, could one still be in the running or should I expect a DJ next round?

Either way I think its cool I made it this far.
    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Thread Information