MembersZone Subscriber

Default NFPA rules on evacuations

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a written rule in NFPA that during a fire alarm activation of a commercial building that employees have to evacuate and if so where can I find that rule?

I work as a security director for a commercial office building (which is not in my district) so until I speak with the district fire marshal I do not know of any city ordinances on this subject however if I can find an NFPA code I can put more pressure on the powers to be that evacuting is a must not an option, including if it is just a drill.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a place to start. Good luck.

FAQs about building evacuation (from NFPA site).

"Are building owners or operators required to hold regular emergency drills for occupants?"
    Although not mandated for all buildings, NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®, requires that workplaces, healthcare facilities, educational institutions and other occupancies provide evacuation/relocation plan information and routinely schedule and hold drills when practicable.
    Last edited by superchef; 10-20-2005 at 08:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nozzelvfd
    I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a written rule in NFPA that during a fire alarm activation of a commercial building that employees have to evacuate and if so where can I find that rule?

I work as a security director for a commercial office building (which is not in my district) so until I speak with the district fire marshal I do not know of any city ordinances on this subject however if I can find an NFPA code I can put more pressure on the powers to be that evacuting is a must not an option, including if it is just a drill.
    Dude, its your building. You tell them what to do and when to do it.

Short of that, check the NFPA Life Safety Code (101) or The National Preparedness Standard on Disaster/ Emergency Management and Business Continuity Programs (1600).

MembersZone Subscriber

Check whatever fire code your jurisdiction has adopted. There should be a clear outline of what is required during an alarm activation and if it's been adopted, it's LAW.

Thread Information