Forum Member

Default NY State FF's shafted again

There are approx 100-150 NY State ff's employed by the Division of Military and Naval Affairs throughout the states Air National Guard bases. The majority of us are civilians who received out training while in the military.

For several years now we have been trying to get classified as firefighters and into the NYS Fire and Police Retirement System. The state and our union (CSEA) Do not even acknowledge us as firefighters, we a currently classified as "other"

We have been trying to get some type of "heart and lung provision" to cover us in the event of a LODD or disability. Currently we have none.

The Govenor vetoed the bill last year that passed the house and senate unanimously. Citing "DMNA firefighters do not face the same degree of risks and hazards as their municiple counterparts." And "there is no evidence that approval of this bill would effect DMNA's recruitment and retention of firefighters."

We just found out today that he vetoed it again this year. Giving the same excuses. The bill numbers are New York Senate bill s-4768, NY Assembly bill A-8244. The Governor's veto # is Veto Message 110.

We will try again next year, but in the meantime we hope that some of our brothers can help by emailing Gov. Pataki on our behalf. And in the meantime we pray that none of us gets hurt or killed in the line of duty.

The ironic thing is that he was the speaker last week at the NY State's Fallen Firefighter Memorial. The very next day we were at a 5 alarm fire in the City of Newburgh.

http://www.ny.gov/governor/

Here is a link to the Senate Bill http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi

Clinton Bonnett
    Firefighter
    Stewart Int'l Airport
    Last edited by Kabosh1; 10-19-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for all that support............

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Maybe if you post it in the Firefighting Forum your thread would get more notice. Based on the number of views to this thread I'm guessing not many members check this forum out.

Good luck!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I figured that this would have been the appropriate forum since we are technically DOD firefighters.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yup, I figured that. I'm just saying, if you want more people to see it, the other forums generally get more traffic.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information