MembersZone Subscriber

Question Intake relief Valve

Can any tell me if its against NFPA to have the Piston Intake Relief Valve for LDH on the pump operators side of the Pump. If it is do you know the number.

Forum Member

Smile intake

Try looking at NFPA 1901 on page 1901-44 for Pump Intake Conections. We have the intkaes on both sides but the connection is usually made on the Captains side. Hope this helps.

Forum Member

We've got the Jaffrey Valve on the officers side, and a buttefly on the engineers side. Both are 6" threaded connections and are able to be adapted to 4", 5", or dual 2.5"/3" lines in the even we are using smaller hoses.

If we need 2 4" lines, we'll be using the big intakes, and one of them will have to be by the engineer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default intake relief valve

NFPA 2003 says on page 45 that if a valved appliance is attached to the intake it has to be equipped with a 3/4" bleeder and a automatic pressure relief device.

IE. a piston intake relief valve.

Forum Member

it doesnt mater what side of the truck it is placed on .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Exclamation

It doesn't matter which side of the pumper the valve it on, Front, Rear, Left Side or Right Side.

For a safety standpoint, I would not like it on the operatorís side, normally the left side of the pumper. I have seen LDH come uncoupled and sometimes a larger than a pin hole develops in the hose jacket. You can and will get very wet of this happen.

I for one, do not like anything, when I was a pump operator, coming off the side that I had to work on. I would prefer that all intake lines and discharge lines, come off the opposite side or rear of the apparatus. This also goes for cross lays. Nothing is worst than having these hoseís hanging over your head and getting caught up in them.

I stress to my members of the company that they pull lines and connect lines opposite of the operator.

Forum Member

We have a piston intake on the side away from the pump operator. When connecting to a hydrant we lay a 5" line to that side to get if away from the pump operator. We have a BIV valve on the pump operators side to use for drafting, so that he can open and close the suction line as needed while running the pump. Both sides can be adapted to allow for either type connection. This set up has worked very well for us because we have both areas with and without hydrants. Where we don't have hydrants we normally use drop tanks and set up a draft.

Forum Member

Default PIV side choices

Nothing in NFPA 1901 to prohibit it. But there are specific prohibitions from having a discharge at the operator's panel larger than 2.5".

If it's unwise to have a large diameter discharge near the operator, why would anyone want a large diameter intake near one?

I've seen some stout hydrants in my day, and all it takes is one moment for a 5" to break an ankle.

1. Put the PIV on the Captain's side.
    2. Teach drivers to preset the Discharge Relief Valve to protect the preconnects when he opens it and can't throttle down when making the changeover.
    Last edited by txgp17; 09-19-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

For a safety standpoint, I would not like it on the operatorís side, normally the left side of the pumper. I have seen LDH come uncoupled and sometimes a larger than a pin hole develops in the hose jacket. You can and will get very wet of this happen.

I for one, do not like anything, when I was a pump operator, coming off the side that I had to work on. I would prefer that all intake lines and discharge lines, come off the opposite side or rear of the apparatus. This also goes for cross lays. Nothing is worst than having these hoseís hanging over your head and getting caught up in them.

Jonnee, I have to agree with you on this one. I would like to add that if you order a new unit with behind the panel butterflys, they will come with behind the panel intake relief valves. That means you can get by with only the adapters you need to make the hose connections.

I do like the idea of not having intakes and discharges running by the MPO.
    One exception to that is having hard suction on the panel side, little easier to watch the drop tanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
    Nothing in NFPA 1901 to prohibit it. But there are specific prohibitions from having a discharge at the operator's panel larger than 2.5".

If it's unwise to have a large diameter discharge near the operator, why would anyone want a large diameter intake near one?

I've seen some stout hydrants in my day, and all it takes is one moment for a 5" to break an ankle.

1. Put the PIV on the Captain's side.
    2. Teach drivers to preset the Discharge Relief Valve to protect the preconnects when he opens it and can't throttle down when making the changeover.
    Interesting! How about a 2.5" or 1.75" at 3 times the pressure of the LDH and way less weight? I'd say you have a better chance of getting hit hard in the squash by a smaller diameter than LDH, but I'm sure NFPA knows a lot more than I do.

Thread Information