god

Default Tips, Just Starting Fire Explorer...

so at the explorer program, there is a 3 month probation period (after the 3 months, i get turnout gear and get to assist @ fire sites)...Can y'all give me tips on what i can to to insure they keep me around? I am really interested, and really don't want to mess this up! Thanks!

Forum Member

Follow all of the rules, don't whine when given assignments even when they do suck, read everything you can about firefighting, read everything on this website, pay attention, and keep your ears open at the station.

Good luck.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

on weekends go up there in the morning at the start of the shift and work all day with them. when they get back from a call don't ask them anything about it or bitch cuz u couldent go. but do ask questions about the fire department and learning stuff. then when there is down time go out to the truck and start memorizing were every thing is, that will be a big plus for you. trust me i have been there and done that about 5 years ago.

Forum Member

Best advice I can give you is to look for a mentor in the fire department. I found a couple of mentors in the fire department and it took me a ways down the line. Follow what your officers or advisors tell you too do. Follow the by-laws even though they might suck and stuff just follow them you won't get in trouble. We all wish we could do more but there are somethings that firefighter under 18 cannot do. Just learn what you can when you can. If someone is offering you training take it. Learn from the wise in the department and follow in the footsteps of your mento while making your own at the same time. I was in the juniors program since I was 14 and now I have been excepted into a company and I made the transition with ease becasue the people from the firehouse knew me and I knew them from working with them. Just take each little thing as it comes. You will learn enough in your time there. If you don't ask questions speak up and ask for certain drills that you are interested in. Back when I was a junior the advisors were always asking what we want to do for a drill... If you have an idea and it is doable by your department policies then ask them.
    But like I said before the best thing that worked for me was that I attached myself to a mentor. If they tell you do an assigment that you might not like for example hit a hydrant if you get on calls just remember that everyone working on the scene has been there at one time or another in their career as a firefighter so take with a stride. Do it efficently and correctly and then look for another task. But most of all just LEARN be like a spong and soak up everything that the older guys have to teach you. They are wise they have been around for a while take their advice.
    I know this is long. But I hope it works for you. I know that it did for me. I am not in my firehouse and have a great time with the guys from there. I think that if I didn't get active in the firehouse prior that my transition wouldn't have been as easy as it was.
    Good Luck, and welcome to the firefighter family...
    Stay Safe...
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

Also check out the Probie section, there are many tips in there.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

If u need info on starting a explorer post or a junior fire dept. contact me on aol, instant messenger at nikej07

former junior capt.
    Henneman

Forum Member

Talking Good Idea

A good way to get the approval of a Chief would be to on a rainy day roll up the window on his or her vehicle, if they left it down. Some say this is a suck up method but it works.

Firemanwesley05
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Exploring

Exploring is fun. I'm a lieutenant on FFD explorers and I love just being down at the station and helping out, you should appreciate the smallest jobs they give you, and put in extra hours, go there after school and say "what can I do for you" that earns you big brownie points, then if things happen and they need someone, they may look at you as someone they can use to their advantage. and learn the lingo, like what a boosterline is and speedy-dri, closet hooks, etc. if your really enthusiastic about it then they'll notice.

Good luck, it's not as hard as you think. oh and one more thing, NEVER, NEVER goof around on scene.
    Last edited by Firemanwesley05; 11-21-2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add pic

Forum Member

Do absolutly everything you can. I'll tell you, I took that path, spending my weekends at the firehouse, cleaning, checking packs on the trucks, changing out half full bottles, filling out paperwork that hadn't been completed. When on calls, you have got to leave your usualy personality behind. We've got guys who go on calls joking around and just plain being annoying; those are the guys everyone dislikes. Don't be that guy. Trust me, it gets you respect. A year ago I was at the bottom of the barrel, but since then I've worked my way up, gotten alot more priveledges and the approval (most of the time) of my fellow fire fighters. I'm no angel, and getting your superiors to like you helps get you out of alot of ugly situations.
    Montgomery Township Vol. Co. #1
    Station 45, Belle Mead, NJ

Franklin District #2 Fire
    Station 35, Griggstown, NJ

Forum Member

Learn everthing you can! The best way is to listen the firefighters around you have alot of knowldge and it will help in the end. I was a J.R at one time so I know how you feel. Put in as much time as you can a learn as much as you can about your rigs, this will help so you don't look lost when they ask for a tool.
    You will do fine, Stay safe

Forum Member

Default Advice

The best advice I can provide is simple utilize the CHAIN OF COMMAND!

Forum Member

Like everyone has said... chain of command, learn all you can, don't whine and you'll be fine!
    Bruce Baker

Medic Student, EMT-I, EMT-I instructor, Haz-Mat FRO

Fraternal Order Of Paramedics Society Member

R.I.P. 343, 9/11/01, God Bless America.
    "ALWAYS REMEMBER, NEVER FORGET!"

Forum Member

I've been off probation for about 5 months now. My advice

1.) Don't waste time talking and bullsh*ting. Take the time and learn about every single truck and everything that's on it. You don't know it until you can give the proper name, the use of it, and when to use it.

2.) Don't bitch! It easily makes people think you don't wanna do anything, but go on calls

3.) Don't worry about going to every call you can

4.) ASK QUESTIONS!

5.) Don't "but he said..." If the chief and the captain tell you to do two separte jobs, do what the Chief tells you first!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikie333
    so at the explorer program, there is a 3 month probation period (after the 3 months, i get turnout gear and get to assist @ fire sites)...Can y'all give me tips on what i can to to insure they keep me around? I am really interested, and really don't want to mess this up! Thanks!
    Do the best u can and learn as much as u can too and try your hardest too i have been an explorer for more then a year and its the best time in my life

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveChevyNova
    I've been off probation for about 5 months now. My advice

1.) Don't waste time talking and bullsh*ting. Take the time and learn about every single truck and everything that's on it. You don't know it until you can give the proper name, the use of it, and when to use it.

2.) Don't bitch! It easily makes people think you don't wanna do anything, but go on calls

3.) Don't worry about going to every call you can

4.) ASK QUESTIONS!

5.) Don't "but he said..." If the chief and the captain tell you to do two separte jobs, do what the Chief tells you first!

U are right learn every thing u can

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Firemanwesley05
    Exploring is fun. I'm a lieutenant on FFD explorers and I love just being down at the station and helping out, you should appreciate the smallest jobs they give you, and put in extra hours, go there after school and say "what can I do for you" that earns you big brownie points, then if things happen and they need someone, they may look at you as someone they can use to their advantage. and learn the lingo, like what a boosterline is and speedy-dri, closet hooks, etc. if your really enthusiastic about it then they'll notice.

Good luck, it's not as hard as you think. oh and one more thing, NEVER, NEVER goof around on scene.

I am an explorer captain for SVFD just like he said prove you want to be there ask if there is anything you and DO NOT goof off on calls at all

Forum Member

Well as a starter myself and being around the station for about 5-10 years already of my life, my best advice I can give you is always pay attention, learning from other members is key and know what is what and where it goes, you can never be too safe or too informed while on scene or in the station for that matter. Maturity and responsiblity is key as well, I know for a fact that goofing off at drills and training is no way to get on the good sides of your superiors. NEVER ever not ask a question, if you have a question ASK IT no matter how stupid you might think it is becuase you need all the information you can get as a new person, if they think that its a stupid question don't listen to them becuase no question is stupid around the firestation!

Thread Information