Forum Member

Default Background Checks

Hello,

I am working towards becoming a full-time fire fighter and have a question about background checks. Way back when I was a teenager I got into some trouble and ended up with a misdemeanor (receiving stolen property) arrest. Since then I have done everything I could to redeem myself; radically changing my life, receiving a college degree and serving honorably in the military.

(Like everyone else in the world) It has been my life long dream to become a fire fighter and am doing EVERYTHING thing I can to achieve that.

-However with my record; will that disqualify me or greatly decrease my chances of ever getting hired?
    -And how many years does the background check go back?

This is not a crystal ball question, just a request for any honest information from anyone who knows the hiring process.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Because you were a minor at the time it should not show up on your record so you should be good to go.

Forum Member

Unfortunately I was 19

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Background

I am no expert. If they ask about it just tell them you have really turned your life around or whatever. Don't lie but don't volunteer unneccesary information. In my state there was a fireman who served two years in prison. By all accounts he was a great fireman. Everyone makes mistakes in life. Yours seems minor. However once again I am no expert. I hope you succeed in your quest.

Forum Member

You can talk to a Lawyer some states will let you exponge your record after so many years of a clear record if it was only a misdemeanor.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

MembersZone Subscriber

My advice is to open and declare it, if you say nothing and it subsequently comes to light, it could very easily disbar you from the process. Being honest about your mistake will go a long way towards making a favorable impression on the board.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by protomkv
    My advice is to open and declare it,
    I have sat on are hiring board and we know if you have an arrest record or not.....so don't lie! We hire from age 21-29... so screwing up at age 19 will get a harder look the closer you are to 21 then if you were 29. Maturity and poise and confidence will go a long way...being cocky is a no go..be yourself!
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Ltmdepas3280, I also have some problems with background checks. I have nothing on my record, but when my fingerprints get ran through FBI, there is a report admitting some things i should have gotten in trouble for. Is this how the fire departments you interviewed for did background checks? Did you run fingerprints.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost421
    Did you run fingerprints.
    Yes, we do fingerprints ...all I can say is be up front about your past. We do interviews with your neighbors and all the referances that are on your application.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Default Records

You can plan on a department background investigator pulling your DOJ (Department of Justice) file. Many believe a juvenile record is sealed. Not true. Most background packets (30 pages or more) ask questions like have you ever, etc. If you omit important information, it can be grounds for instant removal from the hiring process.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

i was never convicted, and i dont believe its on my record. when should i tell them about this report, if they are going to find out anyways? i dont want to wait too late, and make it seem like i was hiding it.

Forum Member

Also, last time my fingerprints were ran it was for the military, and they went through the FBI. Is that what most fire departments do? or do they use another service/method?

Thread Information