FH Mag/.com Contributor

Default What kind of animal is this?

I just received a clarification on what constitutes a Vehicle-Refurb project versus what stays under the Equipment Category and wanted to share. I'm like that because my wife is a Kindergarten teacher and teaches sharing. And keep the comments to yourself about us being a perfect match because I act like a 5 year old. Especially since they're not that far from the truth.

Anyway.....

It is not the intent of the program is to pay for replacing a leaky tank on a converted milk truck unless the truck could then meet the NFPA standard. If you submitted having the entire project done, it would be a refurb and would be considered a vehicle request. A new body is definitely a refurb.

A light tower added to an existing vehicle could be equipment if the grant didn't pay to install the tower. Other retrofits would depend on the cost of the equipment but anytime the grant is paying to install the equipment, it's going to fall under the vehicle category.
    So basically, if it involves major structural changes (pump, chassis, body replacement) or you are requesting funding for the labor to do the work as well as the parts, it will be a Vehicle Category project. If it doesn't involved labor or a major overhaul (light tower, CAFS/Foam) that can be done properly in house, then it's Equipment.

The reason that this is important is that we all know (at least I hope we all do) that the Vehicle Category funding is limited to 25% of the available monies, which with the decrease in overall funding for next year, brings it down to about $145 million for 2006. This will translate into about 800-850 awards if the average award only increases with the average price increase we've been seeing over the past 5 years for trucks.

In other words, start on 2006 now, and remember: you can't think outside of the box when you're in it.

Good luck, and Happy Granting. - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Ain't that just great. As we are essentially limited to winning only one vehicle award in any departments lifetime are you going to apply for/"spend" $25k to put an NFPA tank on that old sled (+$25 for other NFPA "BS")? And you're not going to get/win it anyhow. Or just go for $150K for an entired new truck when you equally (or more) also need a replacement pumper which you're ALSO not going to be able to win.

Foolish. What is the opposite of stretching limited resources? Spendthrift?

MembersZone Subscriber

neiowa, I think you missed Brian's point,entirely I believe what he was trying to say is that rather than "waste" your one shot at the truck, re-think it and consider putting some of your department money in the mix for the labor issues and then request the "equipment" under the larger 75% PPE/Equipment part of the program and you will have a considerably better shot at getting what you need to get by with.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    I
    So basically, if it involves major structural changes (pump, chassis, body replacement) or you are requesting funding for the labor to do the work as well as the parts, it will be a Vehicle Category project. If it doesn't involved labor or a major overhaul (light tower, CAFS/Foam) that can be done properly in house, then it's Equipment.
    No. Replacing a tank is a major structural change so will be a Vehicle project. AND then you are going to have to add in all the misc NFPA stuff, increasing project cost.

MembersZone Subscriber

OK maybe I am as confused as a hound dog chasing two rabbits here. Brian, clarification on replacing a 1200 leaking steel tank with a poly tank, department does the work ( or pays out of pocket for the labor) on an otherwise sound truck/ 1250 gpm and good chassis/engine. Equipment or apparatus side of program? i will defer to the "king" of trucks.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you pay for labor yourself, or do the work yourself, it's equipment. Even if it's a tank; that was my original request of my contact on what tank replacement counted as. So if you have no decent shot at replacing a tanker that's got a bad tank as well as being a converted fuel truck, if you ask for a new tank and will perform the labor in house or go out of pocket, it's equipment. So if you have a converted milk/fuel truck, another option is have someone build a whole tank assembly with dumps and then pay to have them put it on yourself. Those types of setups aren't much more than bolted to the chassis, that's the cheap part of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Neiowa does that clear this up for you?
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information