Forum Member

Unhappy What Are Some Officer Names We Should Use For Our Junior Dept????

I was wondering what are some good titles me and our comrads can use in our JR DEPT. and i was alson wondering what types of problems other junior/explorer depts are facing right now if any?????

Forum Member

Ok the rank structure really depends on how much people you have. if you have ten + people you need a chief, capt., lt., and/or training officer. but if you only have 5 or so all you need is a chief and posibly a Lt. or capt. What ever you do don't make a historian, sectretary or other ranks like that just incorporate those jobs into to chief, lt., etc. names like treasurer are so apart from the FD it is just gay.

the only problems we have faced are not being accepted by a few firefighters in the FD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffhall3
    What ever you do don't make a historian, sectretary or other ranks like that just incorporate those jobs into to chief, lt., etc. names like treasurer are so apart from the FD it is just gay.
    That's incredibly inaccurate once again. Many if not most departments have a secretary, a treasurer, a historian, sometimes a president, VP, etc. It isn't totally apart from the FD and it certainly isn't gay.

I can understand why you haven't been accepted by a few firefighters.
    Last edited by nmfire; 10-21-2005 at 03:27 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thumbs up former junior fire Capt. Henneman

Thank you for the advice and we have the same problem in common, in our fd, i would like to see us use batallion chief because we are basically a batallion of Junior Firefighters so Id like to see us use Junior Battalion Chief, and President. If u have any other questions let me know.

Forum Member

That's incredibly inaccurate once again. Many if not most departments have a secretary, a treasurer, a historian, sometimes a president, VP, etc. It isn't totally apart from the FD and it certainly isn't gay.

Very true, I mean my Fire Dept. has all those that you have just mentioned and is not gay in any form. Now for a junior Firefighter group no you do not need a historian but the other jobs would be very usefull,depending on your man power as well.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

We have a Capt. and 1 Lt. But in our by-laws it states that we should have 3 and each one would have a certain position, such as secretary, gear and eqipment Lt. or Sgt-at-arms for the business meetings. I am pretty much the gear and equipment Lt. and the Secretary even though I am not yet an officer.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

.... etc. names like treasurer are so apart from the FD it is just gay.

With this attitude you will not only not be accepted in the Fire Department, but you will also not be accepted on these forums.

Take it else where scooter. Stuff like your above post is pathetic.

Forum Member

thank you guys for backing me on our officer positions i agree that they are not gay ,and the reason we have a historian is so when we get older and are chiefs and stuff like that we can look back and say wow thats where i started, i thank you guys for your oppinions and lets all do good in our fire careers. THANK YOU GREATLY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire

I can understand why you haven't been accepted by a few firefighters.
    well i am sorry nmfire but were i come from we don't have any of that secretary, etc. stuff. "I can understand why you haven't been accepted by a few firefighters." I don't care, one thing i do know is that none of you people are going to be giving me a job one day and evem if you did you would not know it was me. i enjoy posting my opinions, watching yall get mad, and then comeing back the next day and doing it again. it is fun watching yall act like you are 13 agian and makeing yourselves look like idiots argueing with teenagers you don't even know.

Forum Member

well i am sorry nmfire but were i come from we don't have any of that secretary, etc. stuff. "I can understand why you haven't been accepted by a few firefighters." I don't care, one thing i do know is that none of you people are going to be giving me a job one day and evem if you did you would not know it was me. i enjoy posting my opinions, watching yall get mad, and then comeing back the next day and doing it again. it is fun watching yall act like you are 13 agian and makeing yourselves look like idiots argueing with teenagers you don't even know.
    Hall:

I visit these forums to assist young people like you by sharing information that you may find helpful. I do not come here to argue with you, or anyone else. I will not call you names, belittle you, harass you, or anything like that. I will only offer you friendly advice.

Today, my advice is this: I'm not sure why you enjoy arguing so much, but hey, different strokes, I guess. I know these forums are relatively anonymous, but don't assume that somebody won't recognize you. If you develop a reputation as an argumentative know-it-all, it is something that will follow you for a long, long time. It might not seem important right now, but when you start looking for jobs, it's likely to come back and bite you in the backside.

To give you an example, one of my part-time firefighters (adult) has just such a reputation. He desperately wants to find a full-time job somewhere, but because of his reputation and some of the stupid stunts he's pulled, nobody will touch him. He doesn't have a prayer of getting hired anywhere in this or any adjoining county. It's too bad, because he's got a good heart and wants to do the right thing, but his know-it-all attitude covers up his good qualities.

Again, I say this because I want you to be successful. You're young, so there's still time for you to rehabilitate your attitude and hopefully prevent yourself from acquiring a bad reputation. Instead of using these forums to start or participate in arguments, try using them to practice being respectful to your elders and maybe learn a thing to two.

MembersZone Subscriber

"i am" ... "i do" ... "none of you people" ... "evem if you"... "i enjoy" ... "watching yall" ... "comeing back" ... "yall act" ... "agian and makeing" ...
    Well good ... We both enjoy something on these forums. You enjoy trying to get everybody going and I enjoy watching you spell like a six year old.

With spelling and grammer skills like the above, I wouldn't worry about your application reaching the interview process... much less you getting hired.

Forum Member

it is fun watching yall act like you are 13 agian and makeing yourselves look like idiots argueing with teenagers you don't even know.
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I find this statement incredibly ironic. See, this hereby negates his pretend apology in the other thread... not that anyone believed it anyway.

Forum Member

What ever you do don't make a historian, sectretary or other ranks like that just incorporate those jobs into to chief, lt., etc. names like treasurer are so apart from the FD it is just gay.

the only problems we have faced are not being accepted by a few firefighters in the FD.
    I'll chime in with the others. Not only does such a comment show a lack of respect for those positions, the comment boarders on becoming a cultural diversity issue which is something, as a junior member, you should be learning NOW so that is it not an issue when you move on in your career.

I started my public safety career as a Law Enforcement Explorer. We used the President, Vice-president, Treasurer and Secretary positions as our rank structure and it worked very well. It eliminated concerns about confusing titles at incident scenes, and generally the persons elected by the members to these offices are the "leaders" of the group that the members will follow... which is what you want in an officer on a scene.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

We act like we are 13????? HA

Treasurer, Pres. and V.P. may not be operational positions in some fire departments or positions at all in some fire departments, but are vital positions to those department. If you call us 13 for saying that they are not gay, you must be acting about 5 or 6 by saying that they are gay and arguing with anyone who posts a proverbial inch off your course.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

one thing i do know is that none of you people are going to be giving me a job one day

What do you mean by you people?
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Like thats breaking news. With his attitude, 'us people' sure as hell wouldn't be giving him a job in this lifetime.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StLRes2cue
    Well good ... We both enjoy something on these forums. You enjoy trying to get everybody going and I enjoy watching you spell like a six year old.

With spelling and grammer skills like the above, I wouldn't worry about your application reaching the interview process... much less you getting hired.

Roger that

Forum Member

If it is alright I would like to say something about a Jr. Program.

We treat our Jrs the same as a fire fighter, except for any sitatuion where there are hazardous conditions, death and the situation gets to dangerous. NO MATTER WHAT, they are one of us. They work as hard as we do and they are respoected by us. yes they take razzing and they understand that fire fighters come first, i.e. equipment concerns.

That being said, we limit our juniors 13 -16 years old to six members. We acccept all who are 17 because by the time they turn 18 we can have them certified. We have a training officer that ensures that.

We do not have official ranks for Jrs. Unofficially we have a Jr or two that excel and we utilize him as a leader for the other Jrs. We had a Jr. Chief once but that kind of falls apart when school sports starts and they have to be at proactice and games. We also recognize a JR of the Year and he gets an award as such, just like a Fire Figheter.

I need to reiterate, Jrs must be respected. We are the teachers. We are to show them the ropes and what it means to be a fire fighter. Giving them and administrative structure will also teach them the command and business side of the department and why it is so important. It will also give them a goal to reach for.

The voice of intelligence ... is drowned out by the roar of fear. It is ignored by the voice of desire. It is contradicted by the voice of shame. It is biased by hate and extinguished by anger. Most of all it is silenced by ignorance.
    --Dr. Karl Menninger

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
    --Plato

"Intelligence is not in the written word, it is in the words themselves"
    --Myself, after many years of listening to those with experience but could not write well

Forum Member

This is not a knock at the jr.s program. My question is why do you need officers? I know the answer of organization and pecking order. But realy you can do that without titles. Realy I think when you have people competing for these different spots it will increase tension and attitudes, when it could just as easily be done by having a firefighter (non-Jr) be in charge and having him delegate chores/tasks as need be.

Forum Member

Thank u guys for your input and i apretiate the replies and i like using the forums on here to better our organization, and i hope everybody else does this too and lets act professional not like 2yr olds for the few of you.

Thank you for comments and i am free for more at my aim sn at nikej07

Forum Member

Please accept my apologies, I confused you with someone else who had been posting on this thread. I am sorry.
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 11-02-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Forum Member

It wasn't him calling fire companies like mine 'gay', it was the other brainchild.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MEck51
    This is not a knock at the jr.s program. My question is why do you need officers? I know the answer of organization and pecking order. But realy you can do that without titles. Realy I think when you have people competing for these different spots it will increase tension and attitudes, when it could just as easily be done by having a firefighter (non-Jr) be in charge and having him delegate chores/tasks as need be.
    I can see maybe having administrative duties and titles for juniors (Secretary to keep records, Treasurer to plan fundraisers), but I would not want to see junior officers with a line function in my dept. A firefighter or fire officer should be assigned to the juniors to hand out tasks, conduct training, etc., and that's it...

Look at what happens in a fire dept. around election time...political garbage...competitions, @$$ kissing, rumors, you name it...junior firefighters should not and do not need to be subjected to that when the goal should be to learn how to be a firefighter...not a fire officer...you build a house from the bottom up, not the top down...stick to the basics and only have the offices that are absolutely essential...in a big dept. w/ lots of juniors maybe one or two group leaders would be okay if they were appointed by the dept. or the person in charge of the program and they were merit based. But other than that, NO, No, nO, no, 100-times NO!
    IACOJ

"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap it if we do not lose heart."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Co11FireGal
    Look at what happens in a fire dept. around election time...political garbage...competitions, @$$ kissing, rumors, you name it...junior firefighters should not and do not need to be subjected to that when the goal should be to learn how to be a firefighter...not a fire officer...you build a house from the bottom up, not the top down...

Well said. Here is what we do. As I said we do not have officer positions for the Jrs. Our officers are ultimately responsible for all of the Jrs training, safety and actions. We have the Lt. or a senior FF in charge of the Jrs. We do give them responsibilities though. They are not responsible for anything major, i.e. engines, resues, tankers, equipment, cascade or admin duties. For example we have a loft in our department. it is the Jrs. resposnsibility to see that the loft is kept in order and everything there is in good shape. There is nothing vital to operations there. But we believe giving them some responsibilty will get them involved more in the department and foster a stronger since of pride.

Firemanwesley05
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool 6-year-olds

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ffhall3
    "i am" ... "i do" ... "none of you people" ... "evem if you"... "i enjoy" ... "watching yall" ... "comeing back" ... "yall act" ... "agian and makeing" ...

Posted by:StLRes2cue

ffhall3,

StLRes2cue is a wise person, you should spend more time listening than griping. What he says is very true. Fire departments want people that are professional, and EDUCATED. Just reread your writings before you post them thats all I do. Your spelling is incredible though.

Now as to the original post. My post's officers are: Captian, 1st Lt., and 2nd Lt. everyone else is a cadet. Personally all suggestions I have seen here are useful in some way. Good luck to you, once your post is firmly established, it will be really benificial to the department and those who seek a future in Fire-Rescue.

Thread Information