Thread: Boat Grant

Forum Member

Default Boat Grant

Has anyone ever recieved a grant for a boat. If you have information regarding this, please e-mail me, or post it to the forum. We are trying to replace a 1968 Boston Whaler with a grant. Thanks!

Forum Member

Has anyone out there had any luck in getting a fire boat for the AFG grants? We are a community located right on the Atlantic Ocean and we are running with a 40 year old boat that is pitiful. We mainly need this boat for dive/rescue more than fire ops but we would like to be able to throw a portable pump on it and hook it up to a monitor. There are no working radios on our current boat and the town has no money for a new one. If anyone has a narrative that they could share that would be great. Or if anyone has info on the best way to attempt this.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

MembersZone Subscriber

Annapolis, Maryland received a grant for a fire boat last year. You can find their contact information on their website at http://www.annapolis.gov/info.asp?page=1319

MembersZone Subscriber

johnemt try reading this. I have had good luck using this resource for a number of departments.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/fu...r04_11_19.html
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Dixie would know better, but I think it was Wilmington NC that got one last year?

Boats were Priority 1 only for Suburban & Urban classified departments, so unless they make changes for Rural from P2, and you are Rural, don't bother. Too much competition at the P1 level, DHS themselves have basically said that. If you're one of the other two, have at it. But considering Fire Boats cost almost as much if not more than your average aerial/quint, that's a 1 in 40 shot versus 1 in 10 for a lower priced vehicle. Large vehicle awards do not happen often, but they do happen. Make sure the app is bulletproofed. Or even better, firefighter-proofed.

Forum Member

We have a year round population at 15,000 which increases in the summer. Where does that put us..Rural? The boats we are talking about are 110-150k We are in need of a dive/rescue boat. We are not looking to fight big time fires with it! We respond to a good number of water incidents with our 40 year old boat and want a good platform to dive from. We had an incident this summer with a boater that went under. When our divers went in one had a problem. I had him on the side of the boat but was unable to get him on board because of the high sides. I had to hold him until a boat could come in and pull him on board his boat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Dixie would know better, but I think it was Wilmington NC that got one last year?

Boats were Priority 1 only for Suburban & Urban classified departments, so unless they make changes for Rural from P2, and you are Rural, don't bother. Too much competition at the P1 level, DHS themselves have basically said that. If you're one of the other two, have at it. But considering Fire Boats cost almost as much if not more than your average aerial/quint, that's a 1 in 40 shot versus 1 in 10 for a lower priced vehicle. Large vehicle awards do not happen often, but they do happen. Make sure the app is bulletproofed. Or even better, firefighter-proofed.
    Yes, Brian is right, Wilmington, NC did receive funding for a Fire Boat (I was told) last year, I believe. BUT, they had tried several years, and they are a lot larger than the majority or departments that are applying for Fire Boats (I have seen). It took a lot of political pull/PR to get theirs to go through, I heard. And apparently at a reduction (if someone knows more details, please feel free... )

And, once again, to reiterate Brian, if you don't meet the Priority classifications, then, you would be an incredible long shot (ie: waste of time, in my opinion).
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Rural is <500 permanent residents per square mile. Urban is >2500. Suburban is in the middle, one of the many obvious statements I am known to make.

Dive/Rescue boats might not fall under the Fire Boat category, they are primarly talking suppression operations with this grant program. That would definitely be something to check out soon. Since Dive/Rescue Squads are not eligible entities to apply to AFG, I would venture a guess that anything to support those operations would be of a lower priority. There are other programs that you could check out, the Fireman's Fund Heritage Program would be one to hit first. They award every quarter.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are going to have to have a large commercial port type operation to get a fire boat or have heavy shipping activity and warehousing, piers, docks etc. for it to be a priority.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out DOD surplus. MANY boats and engines in the system from zodiac, jonboats up to 50' launch. LOTS to thru Norfolk and other yards in the NE. State foresters operates the FEPP program where you can get free permemant loan of DOD and GSA surplus. In Iowa the Forester will not req/won't get boats. I'm not sure if this is just Iowa or entire FEPP program. Check with your state forester FEPP contact.

If they can't/won't you can still go thru your state Federal Surplus Property office. They can get the same equipment but may charge you a fee for the paperwork (or more depending on how much "work" they do and how much you do in finding/transporting). If you want to see some of the stuff that NOONE in gov't requested, look around at www.govliquidation.com.

Right now there is a decent looking 26' whaleboat available located in Portsmouth, Me. You want to spend some $ on transport for a large boat there is renovated LCM (the Sandwick) located in Portland, Or https://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/N/...edges-sandwick

Forum Member

How likely would a all volunteer department be to get a fire/rescue boat of any size from a grant. We would be considered a rural area.

Our department has a major river that is our district line on one side. We cover easily 20miles of water front, and have mutual aid agreements even farther than that. Alot of it is wooded, but a vast majority are homes as well. We have a high recreational influx in the spring/summer and into fall.

I would say 50% of structure fires we are called to could be accessed by water as well, and would be easier because alot of the small roads make it difficult to get our engine to. Water supply in our 15sq mile coverage area is scarce as we only have 19 hydrants (with low flow) and we have to use our tanker quite a bit. Our tanker we have been trying the past 3 years to get replaced but have not had luck. Its a 1979 truck that we converted from a tar hauler the county donated. When the odometer stoped 2 years ago it was on 170,000 miles. Water pumped from a boat through a monitor would easily take place of our tanker in a large number of our structure fires, especially if we cannot get the engine close to the area.

We have large amounts of barge traffic up and down the river, since it is a direct route to the port in Mobile, AL.

Our most recent water rescue situation was a woman who was reported as o/d, but when we got on scene, she thought we were the cops and all of a suddon jumped in the river and started swimming out into the middle. 2 of our guys went after her after finding life jackets on the patients dock, but we had no way to get out there and help out men. We have been lucky since our department opened in '02 that we have not had any drownings in our district, but there were 2 the year prior to us opening.

We have a local Elks lodge that is waterfront and have already said will help us dock a boat if we are able to get one.

I have been trying to locate grants to have our chief apply for, but have not been to lucky. Any more specific ones you guys know of that could help us in our search?

Thanks, i've learned alot just from reading these grant threads.
    Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

Scott contact me offline, look at profile, and I can help you out.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

e-mail sent. Thanks Kurt.

Scott

Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me Kurt. Great information and nice guy to talk to.

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem guy, anytime. That is why I am in here. If you get the DJ, get back up with me and we wil fix it.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Scothew
    How likely would a all volunteer department be to get a fire/rescue boat of any size from a grant. We would be considered a rural area.
    Scott
    I'd bet slim to none.

Why not apply for a water tanker/multipurpose supply vehicle? Tanker is priority 1 for a rural dep so you have a shot. Short WB handy baby tanker. As I recall 1500gal is min for a firegrant tanker so go with that. You just wrote your justification for adding a supply pump and LDH. Add a hosebed (or trailer mounted real) with the qty of LDH you see as appropriate for your draft sites/structures. Perhaps somethinglike a front mount 1500gpm pump. Drop foldattank at fire and dump water then reverse lay LDH to lake and then nose the tanker into the lake, pump water. Maybe rational there for 4x4. Tiny tanker could go anywhere your pumper could go and is small enough could also be used for wildland unit.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

1250 gallons is the tanker-pumper dividing line. Something in the DHS tanker range (what we'd call a pumper-tanker) with CAFS and a portable pump that can be dropped at the water's edge and flow back to the scene has been done before. Using CAFS a 500gpm portable pump would be more than enough to run an aggressive operation. 10 to 1 effectiveness ratio when compared with water, so you'll need to flow less GPM's for the same fire volume as compared to plain water.

But NEIOWA is right, I'd put the chances closer to none than slim for a rural FFing boat.

Forum Member

You guys are right. Thats what I discussed with Kurt yesterday.

We have been trying to replace our ancient tanker through the AFG grant, but have been unsuccessful so far (no DJ yet this year though). As kurt pointed out, through some of the government liquidation sites, we may be able to raise funds to acquire and come up with our own boat through fund raising.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Scothew
    You guys are right. Thats what I discussed with Kurt yesterday.

We have been trying to replace our ancient tanker through the AFG grant, but have been unsuccessful so far (no DJ yet this year though). As kurt pointed out, through some of the government liquidation sites, we may be able to raise funds to acquire and come up with our own boat through fund raising.

If you're a fast talker not much money is required. I have a deal worked out with our state Fed surplus property office. I locate it, and transport it and they charge us $75 to process that paperwork. Takes them maybe 20min of time and they fax us the paperwork. I locate/arrange truck and pickup the equipment. In NE many potential Navy/CG locates that you can easily go to in order to inspect potential boats.

Forum Member

Default Fireboat

We were turned down for a boat 2 years ago. We cover part of the Connecticut River. We did a fundraiser and gott a "24 ft packman" with a 250 murcury for about 60,000. It was from Munson marine in Washington state. MetalCraft Marine also has similar type boats and fire boats. They are in Kingston, Ont. Canada.

DRFD 50

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Don't forget folks that "Fire Boat" under AFG means exactly that: it must be able to put out fire. AFG has not funded rescue boats, and unless they completely changed focus for 2006, they won't this March either. No pump, no master streams, not a fire boat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    If you're a fast talker not much money is required. I have a deal worked out with our state Fed surplus property office. I locate it, and transport it and they charge us $75 to process that paperwork. Takes them maybe 20min of time and they fax us the paperwork. I locate/arrange truck and pickup the equipment.
    Neiowa,

Don't know of any places that we could get that kind of deal around IL do ya? I'm looking for a tow vehicle for our Fire Safety Trailer and don't want to spend too much. $75 sounds just about right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    Neiowa,

Don't know of any places that we could get that kind of deal around IL do ya? I'm looking for a tow vehicle for our Fire Safety Trailer and don't want to spend too much. $75 sounds just about right.
    Contact your state forester. This is the org that can obtain DOD or GSA surplus for final loan to you. Or contact your state Fed Surplus Property office if you want to own it. Every state in the US has both offices. Some are worthless some actually do something.

There are many vehicles available at Great Lakes (Chicago) and Scott AFB (St Louis). Most are snapped up by the Chicago area cops (thru the LESO program). "Reportedly" they then sell them to raise cash (they get title under LESO). Nice slush fund opportunity. Most/all vans, crewcab pickups, SUVs disappear down that blackhole. Reportly GAO/DOD is conducting an investigation as this is illegal.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Example of DOD surplus boat

Example of DOD surplus boat

See: http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
    22' BOSTON WHALER BOAT W/ 70HP JOHNSON MOTOR & 1983 MAGLINER BOAT TRAILER

You need a boat? You could have obtained this outfit thru your state Federal Surplus Property office. As previously stated price arrangement subject to what you can negotitate with them. No one requested this boat so is being auctioned off to the public. Not new, not perfect but I'll bet a begger could do a lot with this unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt, the link you posted is incomplete and doesn't work.
    http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/f...er04_11_19.html

My VFD applied for a fireboat in 2005 and not surprisingly the grant was denied.

I have lots of fireboat related information on my website:

Fire boats
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/PMFD/messages/?msg=419.1

Our department did get a state grant for a portable pump which we can use from a boat or the shoreline.

Thread Information