Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Radio Interoperability

I'm in search of a generic copy of a SOP/SOG for Radio Interoperability and radio interoperability interconnect device(s). Any suggestions and or SOG/SOPs? If you need to email something, let me know and I will give you an email address.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

radio interoperability interconnect device
    You mean... a REPEATER?

Most Motorola / Kenwood mobiles have the ability to be linked together with simple cables, and function as repeaters. This is probably one of the easiest routes to go, as it will only take a radio shop about 15 minutes to build up the appropriate hardware and to have it running for you... once they get the parts that is, which can happen overnight if need be.

Please notice I said Motorola and Kenwood. I wouldn't trust anyone's life to any radio other then those. ICOM, Yaesu, and all the others, are just TRASH for the fire service. Motorola is blundering a bit too, and Kenwood is trying to catch up and take their place. Stick with those two and you'll be all set.

A quick and easy fix, give your IC one of each radio needed. If you need to talk to PD on UHF, and all other public safety is on VHF, give the IC a UHF portable. You may also want to consider installing UHF/VHF mobiles in your rigs, or atleast in the frontline apparatus and command vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

This Interconnect device allows you to be out in the field and you take a portable on each channel that you want to link together and hook a cable to them. It's designed to be done in the field without having to go to the repeater. For example, you would take portable 1 on channel 1, hook it up. Take portable 2 on channel 2 and hook it up. Now channel 1 and two are cross-linked to each other.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Interoperability

Try having a repeater in your vehicle. Put one simplex channel on a UHF. Put one channel on a simplex VHF and hit the enable button on the repeater. Make sure you take both mobiles off scan. You are now connected on that channel and you can use either portable radio that is set to one of those channels.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    I'm in search of a generic copy of a SOP/SOG for Radio Interoperability and radio interoperability interconnect device(s). Any suggestions and or SOG/SOPs? If you need to email something, let me know and I will give you an email address.
    Cannot help you on the SOP/SOG. Here is a link to a interconnect device that we just purchased for our mobile command post. There is a smaller unit available for command vehicles (Surbans, Expadetions).

http://www.jps.com/index.asp?node=88
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by HFRH28
    This Interconnect device allows you to be out in the field and you take a portable on each channel that you want to link together and hook a cable to them. It's designed to be done in the field without having to go to the repeater. For example, you would take portable 1 on channel 1, hook it up. Take portable 2 on channel 2 and hook it up. Now channel 1 and two are cross-linked to each other.
    I definately wouldn't be using portables in the field for that. I've got a couple of TK-240D 's that are setup like that, but it's not anything I would use in the Public Safety fields. Battery life would be horrible.

What about a Pyramid repeater?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

The setup is set, i'm just helping in the research for SOPs/Gs. The unit is similar to the ACU 1000. I didn't ask for opinions on setup of the system, I need SOP/SOG info.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

We just got one with the police. We are working on the same thing. My thoughts were to designate interconnect frequencies. PD uses 500 mhz, we use 150. I thought we could pick a little used 150 and the police secondary frequency and designate it for command operations.

There is a delay in the audio also, we are working on getting the police to use simplex when connected.

Our initial thoughts are that it would be limited to the command staff for interagency communications. Both our local police command unit and our county field comms also bring a decent supply of portable radios as well to get people on the same channel.

Thread Information