Thread: Any Chance

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any Chance

Is their any chance for a department that has not yet gotten the 10 questions to get a AFG grant this year. I have not gotten a denial and no questions so I am just wondering if we have a chance still?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default We're with you

BT ~ We're in the same boat you are, so to speak. The suspense is killing us. I read somewhere in the forums that it was thought that all 10 ?s would be out by the end of this week. Since no awards were announced I don't know if that theory still holds true. Either way, we are supposedly going to know either way by the end of October. So, good or bad we have about a week to go.

Forum Member

Good question, sure would like to know.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Since there were no awards, I doubt any DJs or questions went out. Awards will resume the 28th, so I would venture to guess that that last set of DJs and questions et al will be out shortly so they can get things closer to being wrapped up. If I hear any news I'll keep y'all posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

I received our 10 questions email from DHS on 09/01, replied, then on 09/02 received the info to login and fill out the SF-1199A and take it to the bank, then snail mail to DHS. We were then awarded in Round 8 (10/7). So, once/if you receive your 10 questions it doesn't take all that long to get your award, as long as you are prompt. If awarded, you must have the equipment on hand before you may put in a request for your funds, and that is fairly quick. Only takes about 3 business days to be direct deposited.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be willing to bet, with all the activity of the nation's storm damages recurring so close together, Everything including afg awards are running at a very slow pace. my grandaddy always said. Patience is a virtue
    The Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually, I had spoken with someone at DHS about that and they said that the storms should not hamper the time frame of awards. Most of the "labor intensive" stuff has been completed, and the funds are earmarked, so they can't use it for anything but AFG.

The problem we're running in to is the manufacturers. For example, MSA is on a month back order on the Firehawk SCBA package due to all the grants.
    Assistant Chief

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wouldn't it be nice ...

... if, since the funds are earmarked already, they just sent everyone who is getting a DJ the dreaded letter so they can stop thinking about it and get on with their life?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think he means the funds are "earmarked" strickly for the AFG program (since someone started the rumor that money would be used for hurricane relief) and not necessarily to individual departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evfd3100
    I received our 10 questions email from DHS on 09/01, replied, then on 09/02 received the info to login and fill out the SF-1199A and take it to the bank, then snail mail to DHS. We were then awarded in Round 8 (10/7). So, once/if you receive your 10 questions it doesn't take all that long to get your award, as long as you are prompt. If awarded, you must have the equipment on hand before you may put in a request for your funds, and that is fairly quick. Only takes about 3 business days to be direct deposited.
    I've had a few departments that it appears to be about a 2 month delay from the questions until the awards, some are still waiting to be awarded, but have completed the 1199 and the ?'s quite some time ago. In fact, one department, answered more than a month ago, then sent in the 1199. Just in the past week they received a call with a reduction of $2K on the TIC. So, a little slow, but steady. Maybe this week will be a HUGE round...

We're just hoping that SAFER jumps in this week as well...after the lengthy delay, some awards would be nice

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as the reduction goes, if they gave that department that call then I would imagine they are going to be awarded. Same thing happened to me, our TIC (Bullard T3 MAX) got adjusted by $400. They wouldn't be worrying about adjusting anything if they were not going to award it.

The city right next to us (Foley Fire Department) just got their SAFER Grant in Round 1...they are very excited about it. They are combination, 7 paid the rest are volunteer.....they needed it badly to hire some more FF's.
    Assistant Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

My surprise came over the time it has taken for the call on the reduction...I have had several others get it in their questions, or get an email or call right after the questions. Not a month or two later. But, they have been busy with SAFER, FP&S Peer coming up (this week, I think) and getting the PG for '06 ready, along with the usual management of the awards.

MembersZone Subscriber

SAFER SAFER SAFER SAFER......
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

if, since the funds are earmarked already, they just sent everyone who is getting a DJ the dreaded letter so they can stop thinking about it and get on with their life?
    What if some of us don't have a life? Think they'll still send them anyway?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    What if some of us don't have a life? Think they'll still send them anyway?
    In my case, it will be a "Dear Art" letter.
    We're on a first name basis now!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicknc
    I've had a few departments that it appears to be about a 2 month delay from the questions until the awards, some are still waiting to be awarded, but have completed the 1199 and the ?'s quite some time ago.
    So if no questions by now (10/25) then it doesn't look good? I'm still holding out hope, I haven't heard anything.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ENG5TRK
    So if no questions by now (10/25) then it doesn't look good? I'm still holding out hope, I haven't heard anything.
    Given what's going on with the Rescind letters going out today (see that thread!) there may not be another round of DJs or ?'s for a few more weeks, so, still no news is good news...

Thread Information