Forum Member

Question Your Fire Department Profile

Is your Fire Department/House/Station made up of entirely Volunteers or is there a mix of Full Time Paid and Volunteers?

Are there any other Volunteers within your Department that are not Firefighters. For example, Ladies Auxiliary etc?

What is the age of your oldest Volunteer?

As a Volunteer, are you provided with price discounts on goods and services from the local traders?

Does your Station House have a good Social Club.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Company is entirely volunteer. Our oldest member is in his 70's and has been on the Company for 53 years. We disbanded our ladies auxilary years ago, however the other two companies in our town have them. We do not receive discounts from anyone, and I'm not sure what you mean by "social club".

We are a small town in North Jersey population about 16,000, and the whole department has approximately 90 members currently.

Forum Member

also see here and dont forget about search .........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Our company is all vollie. we have talked about though, in the next 1-2 years, adding a few full time guys just to man the station during like, M-F, but thats still a bit down the road. our oldest member is in in his 60's and has been on the dept almost since it started. he has 40+ years. we have been a FD for a little bit over 50 years now. we started a womens aux about 3 yeras ago and we started a cadet program about 4 years ago. at the local sonic, we used to get half off everything, but we no longer accept it.

we are just outside kansas city, ks. we have 40 sq miles with a pop of under 5000. last year we had 400 calls, and this year to date we have 399 call.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    also see here and dont forget about search .........
    Thank you for the link to the other Thread, Weruj1.

As you can see by my questions, my topic is more towards the personnel of the Station rather than the type of equipment and that is my reason for raising a separate Thread.

I'm sure that if there is any problem, a Forum Admin/Moderator will combine the two Threads.

I'm not sure if your comment, "....and don't forget about search....." was meant to be an instruction, a helpful suggestion or a criticism. Perhaps the use of the word 'Please' would have made your intended tone more clearer.

Forum Member

Is your Fire Department/House/Station made up of entirely Volunteers or is there a mix of Full Time Paid and Volunteers?

All volunteer

Are there any other Volunteers within your Department that are not Firefighters. For example, Ladies Auxiliary etc?

No some of our wifes do some stuff for us. but not real ties.

53. Joined when he was 16.

As a Volunteer, are you provided with price discounts on goods and services from the local traders?

We had a movie place that would leave us and a guest in for free. Had to pay for anything else. Was nice but alot of people really didnt take them up on it. I did bu they made out with me super big everything else lol. They have since closed.

And a local part store that gives us 10% off. nice of them. started that after they had a fire we stopped quick.

Not sure what you mean by Social Club I would say no. Have a few of the guys that retired that still come visit but thats as close as it gets.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

We are what's considered a Combination department, We currently employ 6 career "Firemedics" (IAFF 3151) as we also man two ALS ambumlances the department is backed up by 35 (IVFA) oncall or volunteer firefighters 21 who are also EMT's. As we just broke ground on a new station with additional bunk rooms I hope to have 4 man crews in place by next July.Our department averages 1,000 calls a year and covers the largest unicorporated area of the State.

There is a newly reformed auxiallary and we are present exploring the CERT program

52 that would be the Chief 2701

Yes
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber

I run on Wauseon vol. Fire Department. in Wauseon,Ohio
    we are vol. but pay per run.
    we do have a full time ALS crew.24/7
    and we have two firefighters on 7am to 4pm M-F.
    the oldest is our ***.chief. not for sure on age. but I do belive when god saide let there be lights he was their to throw the switch.
    we have about 37members.
    we do have a ladies axu.
    and out of the 37 members only three are woman.

Forum Member

Department is volunteer, 2 stations.

Each station has their own Ladies Auxiliary, 1 is more active than the other.

Our Treasurer is in his high 60's and though we kid him about it, he is not one of our original members (we are 120 years old). He comes to every meeting, makes most fundraisers, but does not ride the trucks all that often anymore and when he does, he advises us young guys.

Each member gets a free beach badge for one of the local beaches. The "Thank You's" from our neighbors is enough.

We have a hall that is rented out for many different events. We have a back room with pool table and play some cards and darts once in a while, but it's not a very "active" area.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Smile The Station

Good stuff folks, thank you for your replies.

Just to clarify what I meant by Social Club.

Members subscribe a $ amount per month and this allows members to participate in Golf Days, Horse Race Days, Family Functions, Bar-Bee-Q's, Christmas Functions etc, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

All Volunteer

We have a dispatcher that is older and does not respond to scenes, no auxiliary or anything else.

over 70

No

We get together every so often, but not on a regular basis.

Forum Member

All Vollie. Cheif is paid, we have one guy that volunteers is career with Bham, and a couple that are or working on becoming EMS.

We have a association group that does alot for the station. Mainly comprised of spouses, but also FF's. When we have calls, usually 1-3 of the spouses of volunteers that respond end up at the station to help out, and also bring drinking water to the scene if a fire or vehicle extrication

Mid-70's. Its my grandfather, he is at the station for every training, meeting and call. He runs the dispatch and does paper work.

In the few establishments we have in our district, we could get discounts, but we dont accept them. Instead we encourage to donate to the department as a whole.

Our meetings and training drills are always fun and everyone is sociable. When we get back to the station from a call, we usually sit around for half an hour or so and discuss the event or just bs.

Forum Member

All volunteers at our station, although our county has several paid stations

We have what we call "associate members" which consist of men and women alike which help work bingos, other fundraisers and misc duties.

I am not sure because not only do we have older "active running members" we also have lifetime and founding members.

We recieve donations from local stores for our functions but other than that I dont believe so

Yes

MembersZone Subscriber

station staffed weekdays from 0600-1800 with POC support. POC only when station not staffed

Explorer Post & Ladies Auxilliary

not sure on age, but just finished his 35th year with the department

no discounts of any kind from anyone

none of any kind....we do that kind of socializing off station
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

All Volunteer, three stations.

Station 1 has a ladies auxillary, they aren't very active though.

My company, 60's. Station 1 has a couple prunes though, closer to 80-90.

Not that I know of. Many people in this area don't realize we are volunteers.

My station, station 3, has a very active group. Anytime between 6pm and 3am you could go up to the station to find 3 or 4 guys hanging out in the rec room.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuard

All volunteer, normally hovers between 25 to 30 active members at any given time.

We used to have a quite active Ladies Auxiliary, but they sort of disbanded. We still have some of the wives who get together to help with stuff, like plan the annual awards banquet, but nothing formal. I'm trying to get that group active again, though, because there's lots of things they could help us with.

Active members? I think he's in his late 50's, but he just got active again after getting out for the last 3 or 4 years (he just retired, so he has more time now). Before he got back in I think the oldest was in his mid to late 40's. We do have some dues-paying non active members who are in their 70's, but they are not counted among the roster of firefighters....usually former active members, stuff like that.

Not officially. We do have a seafood place next door that has given some of us discounts. He came over one night during drill and gave us a big tub of crawfish, that was a nice surprise! Some of the local stores will donate supplies if we're having a fire department supper or for our annual banquet. I think the local gym will also cut you a little discount on membership. That's about it.

No. You can get free soft drinks from the drink machine after a fire. Used to be free all the time but it was costing us a fortune

I'm not sure if your comment, "....and don't forget about search....." was meant to be an instruction, a helpful suggestion or a criticism. Perhaps the use of the word 'Please' would have made your intended tone more clearer.
    Don't mind Weruj1...he has over 6,000 posts but I think about 4,000 of them are of the "Did you do a search?" variety....he lives for that....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Volunteer 1 Station

Ladies Auxiliary we have but ....when I see them i'll get back to you ( havent herd one thing about them but do know there is one)

O man.... oldest guy we have has been a member for 55 years. He is i think 75ish. Average age though is early-mid 40's late 30's.

Not that i know of.

Not really. Supposedly a few years ago it was alive and kickin' but as of late everyone is older ( except a few young guys like myself) and they all have work, and families now but its starting to get better. Usualy on a friday night there will be a few of us there hanging out watching tv, playing darts.

Forum Member

Only volunteers--apparently there are 24, but for example there are 2 I've never met and I have a really good attendance record. Not all are very active.
    There is not a Ladies Auxiliary but there is a community sort of group that works along with us for our fundraisers (and it's pretty much 95% women involved) but they are not within the department.
    Not sure if he is the oldest, but one of our guys turned 72 in the summer and he is still really involved with driving the trucks.
    We don't get any discounts...
    And lastly, Social Club?! What Social Club? LOL! We have a "club room" that we go to after we meet Monday nights but it's not that exciting and we have one really old pool table. Our dept. hosts card parties for the community in the fall/winter so I guess that's a social event.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    ......Don't mind Weruj1...he has over 6,000 posts but I think about 4,000 of them are of the "Did you do a search?" variety....he lives for that....
    Thank you once again for your replies.

My reason for this question was to compare Volunteer Fire Brigades from a community and social aspect, particularly beween countries such as Australia, Canada and the US.

No probs with Weruji, I understand the importance of doing a 'Search' before posing a question, I just thought that his Post was a little abrupt and as such, 'ruffled my feathers' a little.

Forum Member

1.All volunteers and the Chief is a paid position.

2.We have a Fire Explorer Post.They help with rehab and gofer duties but do not do live fire training or entry.Period.
    The female members are not auxiliary.They are full members and just as"burnable"as the men.

3.No one's brave enough to ask him.He's been on 25 years though.

4.Some of the restaraunts give us discounts on meals when we are returning to station and decide to have breakfast before we get back.Usually it's the same places we've been to for calls and impressed them with our efforts.We sure don't do it for the bennies though.

5.Not really.We socialize during meetings,calls and when we see each other in town.

Last edited by doughesson; 11-01-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Forum Member

Kickapoo Twp. Vol. Fire Dept. Leavenworth Co. Kansas.

We are totally vol. running 35 FF's and 6 trucks out of whats soon going to be 2 stations.

We just started a Cadet Program 4 active members.

No benifits except using the City jym for reduced price.

Good social events I'd say.

Our oldest member is the chief and he's mid-60s

Forum Member

Nestucca Rural Fire Protection District, Nestucca River Valley, South Tillamook county, Oregon
    Our District has four paid employees(Chief, DC or Maintainence and Operations, Fire Marshal/Pub. Ed. specialist, Office secretary) and we have a bookkeeper that is provided through out lawyers office. All non admin members are volunteer.
    We have both firefighters and EMS personel(some are both ofcourse) and as far as lay people alot of the members spouses pitch in where its necesary like for potlucks and such.
    Our oldest active member is 65 but everymember who is active for 20+ years has a lifetime membership. One of those such people just turned 95 at our last awards banquet.
    We are not provided with price discounts and I dont think I would accept them if I did. I am personal friends with all the business owners around here and would rather support the community than take a percentage away from their profait.
    All of our members can deal with eachother fine on a personal level. We do have some problems when it comes to teamwork and agreeing on whats right to do in specific situations. That is why we have a lawyer. Our district is definently going through some troubles right now, but I cant comment on them that would be against our policy.

Thread Information