Forum Member

Default Treatment of others

Recently, within the past few years, the treatment of members in my department by other members (mostly officers) has been really crappy. Everything from looks and words, to members being yelled at for showing probies how to do things at drill. "If you did that at your real job you'd be fired". In the last few months we have had members leave because of threats by executive officers such as suspensions and arrests. Many times it seems like these people (officers) act this way to intiminate new members and gain respect by fear.

It is so bad, that we have members who respond to calls, but once they hear certain officers sign on the air, the stop their response and go back home. We have members who have stopped going to drills because of the officers who are running them. Although those actions are probably not the best ones to take, members are sick and tired of dealing with the officers crap.

Withing the last couple of months we have had members get suspended for activity that they do outside of the firehouse. The problem is that when it a person of rank (officer or board member) their punishment of minimal if not absent. I understand that you represent the department and the service with your actions inside and outside of the public view, but come on now.

We are a VOLUNTEER fire department. We take time out of our day and choose to do what we do. If I wanted to get yelled at and repremainded, I would screw up more at work...hey atleast I'm getting paid.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas on ways we could get this to end and get back to being a fire department?

History:
    We are a full volunteer fire department that runs only fire calls
    We have a department and a fire company which is seperate from each other
    Our Chief is elected by the members and he/she appoints their officers
    Our Executive Board of the company of also elected by the members
    We have members who range in age from 16 - 50+ yrs old

Forum Member

How long does the chief serve? If the membership does not approve the leadership, why is it still in command? Do they have a multi-year term and if so, how long until it is up?

Forum Member

The Chief is elected every year. There is no max. amount of time he/she can serve. The issue is not with the Chief, but with the an Asst. Cheif, a Capt., and a couple of Lt's. I guess a new Chief could be elected and they could re do the entire command staff, but I dont think that would be the answer. Part of the problem also is these offciers at are * * * * s are also top responders.

Thread Information