MembersZone Subscriber

Default Info on Cincinnati?

I heard Cincinnati just exhausted their eligible list a couple months ago. Anyone have any info on when they will have have another test?

Forum Member

Cincinnati will be putting a class of 30 in in January. They will be hiring off of the previous list. There is a recommendation that they hire a lot of people and with the drop program a lot of guys will be coming up for retirement. Keep your eyes open I think they'll be hiring a lot in the near future. But to answer your question, no they have not exhausted the last list. They only hired one class off of it so far with one coming up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bump

When can the next test be anticipated? If they've only hired two classes so far, so are we looking at early 2007?
    Last edited by engine1321; 10-28-2005 at 12:03 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bump to the top

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the current list expires in May of this year, so I would anticipate another test. Letter have gone out to those from the current list that have possibility of moving on in the process. The next class of 30 is slated for early 2006, but that all depends on how the new incoming city council votes on the budget for next year.

The recent consultant's report reccomended hiring 35 additional FFs, and the current city council has a proposal to increase the number of firefighters to reduce overtime costs. There will be a new mayor and atleast 2 new council members (most likely more) so things at this point are up in the air. If you're not on Cincinnati's list and/or you haven't recieved a letter for background info/reccomendations then you'll be waiting a bit longer.

Getting your\Being a paramedic will not hurt your chances either as most likely changes in the CFD EMS system will be coming in the next year.

There really isn't too much info to give you, as no one can really get hard numbers until the new council and mayor is elected. If you're really interested in working in the Cincinnati area... look to the suburbs.

MembersZone Subscriber

2/11/06
    Centenial II Plaza
    1st Floor Conference Room
    805 Central Ave
    0800 - 1100

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, I picked it up on the 'net

MembersZone Subscriber

They should be hiring atleast 30 off that list as well. More is possible depending upon what the budget allows. The TriData report suggested closing a few houses, but only after relocating a few houses, and that most likely won't happen. Recently admin shutdown Truck 14 in favor of creating a second heavy rescue/hazmat truck (in addition that squad will also do department training). There is also the good possibility that all the ambulances will be converting to medic units, thus spreading the EMS load over a greater number of units. The hire group from the last test (2 years ago) is just now (started 15 days ago) going through the academy. The class off this list should start much sooner though, most likely late fall or next winter.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

could someone send a link to the website with the info.

thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default time of test

the test is on march 25th, but what time is it?

Forum Member

The last test was given at two seperate times. You will be told what time your test is when you apply. (I believe)

Forum Member

The City of Cincinnati is looking for exceptional Men and Women between the ages of 18 & 36 to become the newest members of the 1st paid professional fire department in the nation! Cincinnati Fire Department

24 Weeks of paid training $32,911 annually

Initial sign up on Saturday, February 11th from 8am to 1pm at Centennial II Plaza, 1st Floor Conference Room. 805 Central Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202

Thereafter, applications will be accepted Monday thru Friday in the Human Resources Department at: Centennial II Plaza, 805 Central Ave., Suite 200 8:00am to 5:00pm

Applicant must not have reached age 37 by appointment date (estimated date of January 1, 2007)

On-line sign up will be available starting February 13th, 2006

For more information: contact Lt. Harold Wright (513) 352- 1684 Harold.Wright@Cincinnati-Oh.gov

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi, I am getting ready to apply for the FF. position and I was woundring what are all of the steps in the process? I know you have to take the civ. service test. but what after that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Box2565
    On-line sign up will be available starting February 13th, 2006
    Where did you find that info you posted? And where online will the sign ups be?

Forum Member

The text in the post is direct from the city of Cincinnati web site. Here is a link to the PDF document: Hiring Announcement. I have no additional information beyond that.

Forum Member

Default Resumes

Anybody actually bringing resumes to this on Saturday or send them in later?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Box2565
    The text in the post is direct from the city of Cincinnati web site. Here is a link to the PDF document: Hiring Announcement. I have no additional information beyond that.
    Thanks, i looked on their website but couldnt find it.

Forum Member

You don't need a resume. Just bring ID. The last test they didn't even have interviews. They don't care about your past qualifications since everyone starts on the same page anyway. Oh and if you're a volly, don't bring your pagers and wear a I'm a hero tee shirt. No one cares.

Forum Member

Gee, no resume or job experience? Kind of makes me wonder why i spent so much time gaining experience and getting all those certs. Good to know that a large city department would just as quickly hire a bum off the street as they would a well qualified applicant like myself. Guess thats just more inscentive to do well on the tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WIff4hire
    Gee, no resume or job experience? Kind of makes me wonder why i spent so much time gaining experience and getting all those certs. Good to know that a large city department would just as quickly hire a bum off the street as they would a well qualified applicant like myself. Guess thats just more inscentive to do well on the tests.

good point, thats frustrating not to get any prefrance points for stuff like that.

Forum Member

If you're going for a suburban job or a smaller fire department that stuff will help a lot. If you are focusing on the larger cities then don't waste your time (although training is never a waste of time if you're willing to spend the money). Most large cities are stricly civil service and don't require you to bring anything to the table since they train everyone the same regardless of previous experience. Big cities want you to start from scratch so you learn their way and their way only.

Forum Member

Just curious though. Im currently in a fire management class, and our project for the semester is to compile a portfolio for interviews. It includes a cover letter, resume, qualifications, certifications, everything that can make you look good to a department.

My question is, will this benefit me in an interview for a big city, or could they not give two ****s about a portfolio or resume? I would just assume bring it anyway though, might help me look more professional. What do you think?

Forum Member

Can't hurt to bring it. Some departments have a professional interview, some don't. Cincinnati's last process didn't have any interviews at all. In the past Cincinnati had an interview however it was more an oral test than a professional interview. Civil service commisions make it hard to have a professional interview for a big department because its hard to qualify answers. They usually have to stick to a point based interview to ensure fairness. For example Phoenix has an interview that is professional but they are looking for you to say key phrases to get points in them. So you're not wasting you time by any means, just don't be upset when a larger city can't use your previous certifications. If anything the training will better prepare you for the job and promotions down the road.

MembersZone Subscriber

Applications for the Cincinnati, Ohio fire exam can still be obtained for the March 25, 2006 exam. Go the links below exam prep and additional exam information.

Exam prep can be found at the link below

http://www.fireprep.com/cincinnatti_...er_examin.html

Additional exam information can be found at the link below

http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityhr/pages/-4270-/

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com or www.firemanemtparamedic.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Jobs/Careers Article section on the drop down menu to the LEFT of this posting.
    Good luck !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cinci hiring

is cici planning on actually hiring more people soon, or are they just renewing their list?

Thread Information