Forum Member

Default Lateral transfer questions

I am currently a career FF/AEMT-I in NY, and due to my wife's worsening asthma condition, may have to relocate out west to a drier climate. Are there any career departments that anyone knows of in the AZ, NV, NM, UT area that will take an out of state transfer, or would I have to repeat the civil service / hiring / fire academy process again? I have all of my state and national certifications, and while I don't have a NREMT certification, (not recognized in NYS) it wouldn't be too hard to obtain one. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out the city of North Las Vegas. We are accepting lateral transfer applications from Oct 17. to Nov 17.:

Go to the city of North las vegas website. Go to the top right and click "employment". Scroll down to "Lateral Entry Firefighter". It's at the bottom.

We are also giving a test in Jan for new hires.

The laterals may have to do a 4 week academy in April.

Good luck.

Some Guy

Could I send yoy an email BrainandGail?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lateral transfer info.

Brian,

Could you send me an email with some info. regarding the lateral transfer ie. physical's needed, agility test, etc.? Also, what pay do you top out with and how long to get there ie. 5 years to top step etc. Thanks.

Christian
    MFDLAD1@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

There are also some departments in California who offer lateral transfers. Even if a department does not offer laterals, many departments would sure love to latch on to a seasoned firefighter who has a good attitude.

I will caution you on one thing:
    One of the downsides to hiring firefighters from other departments is they feel they have already proven themselves. As a probationary firefighter you will be expected to make the coffee, run for the phone and assume the duties of a PROBATIONARY firefighter.
    Good luck in your endeavors!

Forum Member

Default Rusty?

Your best day could be getting your National Medic Certification because 80% of the job offerings are for fire medics.

One large department tested for medics only last spring. Only 225 showed up. Don't just take lateral tests. As a medic even tests where it is just a ff test if they know you're a medic in the oral board it can work in your favor.

www.firehouse.com

www.firecareers.com

Shall I move my family to the area I want to test for?

Do yourself and your family a big favor. Donít even think about moving until you get the invitation in writing that you have the job. Never move away from family, friends, support and established connections thinking that will improve your chances of getting a badge.

Lateral
    The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with seasoned veterans taking entry level or lateral tests is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board's skills are rusty and antiquated. It's hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan is in place.

One thing that will cut down the flying all over the country and being a frequent flyer king is to learn how to take a firefighter interview.

I think this says it all:
    It was five years ago that I first visited the bulletin board. It was how I found and landed my first job at a small career department, and served for four and a half years. The entire time I wanted to make the lateral move to my hometown dept.--a larger city, more opportunities, Paramedic and tech. rescue opportunities...But I was a bone head. I thought because I was already on the job elsewhere, I could waltz through the process, and to some extent I did--all the way to the Chief's interview twice, but never got the call. Laterals, my advice to you is this: we are our own worst enemies...you think you are a good judge of your interview skills, trust me you're not. Don't be a bonehead like me and go through the process twice before getting help from professionals like Captain Rob and Captain Bob. Think this is some baloney sell-out advertisement? Well, all I can say is after five years of trying, my recruit academy starts in two weeks. You be the judge.
    Matt
    Last edited by CaptBob; 11-05-2005 at 09:18 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Any more info. on North Las Vegas Fire?

Brianandgail,

I've done some research on the department. I assume, by your response, that you are a NLVFD firefighter. I've sent in my application for the Lateral Entry position. How busy is your fire dept. with respect to medicals and working fires, what type of structures do you go to more readily ie. home fires vs. industrial, commercial, multip dwellings (apts.), highrise (are there any?). Also, those new communities that are popping up (Aliante etc.)...is there a station for each new community protecting each area and how do you find the area for living for firefighters or do most live out of the area (living expenses vs. salary of a NLVFD firefighter)...Are more stations planned to keep up with the area's progress????

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is Brian, I will be sending you an email today.

Good luck.

Thread Information