Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default WHEN to repaint a leather

I am new to Cairns leather. The question I cannot find in the search is when do you repaint it? Mine is fairly new, but now has some paint flaking around the edges from a job. I thought I might wait a while to repaint but I do not want the leather to be permanently damaged. I don't often have to go interior as I am an A/C. The paint on the brim and main body of the helmet is okay, just the edges. So you guys who have a ton of experience with Cairns leather, whadda I do?

You have two choices.. touch up the paint that is scuffed on the edges, or show the scars of battle proudly.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Cut your losses and go tupperware!
    Viva la Plastique
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV
    Cut your losses and go tupperware!
    Viva la Plastique
    What kind of devil child are you!?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    What kind of devil child are you!?
    An ugly one if they used their picture for their avatar.

Just kidding...

Tupperware has it's places... The refrigerator being one.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by 231Engine
    I am new to Cairns leather. The question I cannot find in the search is when do you repaint it? Mine is fairly new, but now has some paint flaking around the edges from a job. I thought I might wait a while to repaint but I do not want the leather to be permanently damaged. I don't often have to go interior as I am an A/C. The paint on the brim and main body of the helmet is okay, just the edges. So you guys who have a ton of experience with Cairns leather, whadda I do?

I can't speak for you, but to me, battle scars are what give a helmet its character!

My current black N6A has blistered paint, bare spots that are blackened from smoke, cuts, scrapes and scratches...The traps are scorched and barely visible and the bourkes are blackened and partially melted. Basically, it's just now getting "broken in"!

Due to a recent promotion, I have ordered a new N6A...I can't wait for it's first good burner to knock the new off of it!

Since I am retiring my current lid, it will be given to my girls when they are older as a keepsake of their Daddy's career, as will my old badge, insignia, etc.

Remember, we fight fire...It's a dirty job...albeit the BEST job in the world!

Leather Forever!
    Kevin

An ugly one if they used their picture for their avatar.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Touche

I just cant trust having a cow on my head. If the cow's skin was so strong, how come it got slaughtered in the first place?
    All helmets in Australia are plastic, we dont have leather ones, i was just making the comment to get you guys going
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks 4949,

That's about how I feel, I was just unsure if the exposed leather would end up damaging the helmet permanently. Sounds like it will be just fine with a little leather showing on the edges. . .

MembersZone Subscriber

Never :d

Forum Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Touche

I just cant trust having a cow on my head. If the cow's skin was so strong, how come it got slaughtered in the first place?
    All helmets in Australia are plastic, we dont have leather ones, i was just making the comment to get you guys going
    Look out - possible vegetarin here aka plant killer! Silly girl cows are made to eat and make leather helmets! Or is it roo meat there?
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Default Repainting a leather helmet

There are a few options with regards to caring for your leather helmet.

First of all, you must determine if you want aesthetics or a long service life. If your department uses the same color helmet for everyone, then you may opt to have it "serviced" at regular intervals.

You're probably asking what constitutes "servicing" and when are the "regular intervals"... call the helmet's manufacturer or a vendor and ask them. A word of caution, they may tell you to "service" it at a fairly frequent schedule because they want your money.

Keep in mind NFPA regulations as well - I am not sure if leather helmets are specifically addressed for maintenance or if a blanket "NFPA-approved" cleaning schedule is described.

Another factor is worker's compensation laws in your state. Here in Texas, if worker's comp can place the cause of your injury on a factor you had control of (i.e. damaged equipment that SHOULD have been removed from service when you inspected it at the beginning of your shift), they will do everything in their power to not pay (or pay as little as possible) the claim. If your leather helmet has Bourkes and your state calls for NFPA eye protection - you better have googles on your helmet OR if a post-accident investigation can determine that your "burnt to the size of a piece of charcoal" leather helmet had more wire hanging out of it than it did leather covering it BEFORE the fire, you will need to get creative as to why you were wearing it when it should've been removed from service. The bottom line is this... research the care of your helmet and maintain it as it should be maintained.

FYI - I wear a Sam Houston and love it. My helmet is very salty but it is serviceable. My FD uses the same color for Firefighters and Driver/Engineers so I will wear it until I promote OR it is no longer safe to wear. At either point, I will replace it with a new one and display the old one in my office / man-room.

I hope this shed some light for you.

Don't play with it...leave it alone.

MembersZone Subscriber

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Touche

I would bet that if you took the same nail driver or whatever type of gun, they used to slaughter a cow, and used it on a plastic helmet it too would be destroyed.

Forum Member

One thing, if you do decide to touch the edge up be sure to use the proper paint. Sherwin-Williams makes a paint called Kem Lustral. It is a flame retardent paint. It is the paint that Cairnes uses to paint their helmets. This can be bought at any Sherwin-Williams store but it only comes in gallons. Whatever color you need (according to rank). If you use any other type of paint it may dry the leather out and ruin it.

The other option is to just leave your battle scars out in the open for everyone to see. FTM-PTB

Thread Information