Forum Member

Default Advice for the junior men/women

Not even just juniors i think it goes for everyone . If someone in your Dept has more experence than you and they offer you advice and little tricks LISTEN TO THEM!!!! ...Dont blow them off and then say crap about them how " So and So thinks they know everything" They are only trying to help YOU out.

Dont think cause your dad has been in the Dept xxx years that means you are better/more senior to others!...or that that gets you our of assigments!

ASK Questions at drills. It amazes me as to how much someone is baffled but for some reason doesnt ask questions. Yet says that some people ask " too many questions"

Dont go around acting like you are an invisable saint

Myself I was a junior at once and no longer am, but even when i was and to this day i still ask questions and listen to the senior men above me

Sorry for the rant but ..well nevermind its a long story i wont get into!

Forum Member

I definatly agree. Being around the fire department since you were born (like in my case) is an advantage, but your dad or mom has been on the dept. for x number of years not you. I definatly have learned alot from my Dad, but I don't know half of what he does and I hope to learn as much as I can.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Former Junior Capt. Henneman

that is the same case i have been in, my dad has been in the fire dept for 23 yrs now and i have been goin there since i was a baby, and i take alot of advice from my dad. if u have aol instant messenger im me at nikej07

Forum Member

I couldn't agree more with you. But the thing that gets me is even the people who haven't been around the fire department... only experience that they have is what they have learned either in the juniors or regular membership however they still seem to think they know everything..
    Back when I was an officer for my junior corps. I would get the question from a few people. Do I have to do this? I already did it. And my answer would be back in a question and most times it resulted in that you have to do it... I hate how people have performed a drill one time before and thought that they never needed to participate in the drill again. So new and old people take this advice with stride. ASK QUESTIONS! If someone wants to help then let them help. You can learn alot from the older guys in the department. I have and I couldn't be better... And I am still learning...
    Stay Safe
    Demps
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

I definatly agree with you. I for one, love going to drill and learning things. Even if I already have been through the drill before, it is good to refresh yourself on the topic and sometimes it is a fun drill also.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    I definatly agree with you. I for one, love going to drill and learning things. Even if I already have been through the drill before, it is good to refresh yourself on the topic and sometimes it is a fun drill also.
    Not only that, but first hand experience in a non-emergency situation is vital to gaining confidence and an understanding of what needs to be done, and how to go about doing it.

Forum Member

Amen to that brother!

Thread Information