+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Forum Member

rah freakin rah..

Whoever put Firefighter807 up to this should be hung in the hose tower and flogged with a piece of old booster line...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Can I give him my Pierce engine? The one that the cab fell off when the hinges broke while tilting it? Please?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

An old piece of wet 2 1/2 is much, much better. I know, I'm a Shellback.

Forum Member

Firefighter807 must be having a quiet day.... Somebody get him a REAL firetruck and some fig newtons!

(Note "Real firetruck" refers to the good ol Tona Toy fire trucks)
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Pretty much everything you would need they can make.
    I think you're mixed up, they will customize your rig, just as long as it's something they offer regularly. LOL

In these days of "who owns who", Pierce has the unshakable roots of Oshkosh Truck behind them.
    Unshakeable?? Last time I checked, freightliner was alot bigger than oshkosh, and look what happened to ALF.

I'm a HUGE pierce fan, don't get me wrong, but some of your arguements are just plain silly.

Forum Member

I bet he'd eat s**t if it had the Pierce logo on it.

Forum Member

Parts twenty years from now? Unless they're REAL common,I doubt it like hell.Muliplexing? Well, the jury's still out there on that one,let's see how they perform in a twenty year run. I don't see a Pierce is gonna do any better in TCOO(total cost of ownership)than any other properly specced and maintained brand. But if you want to buy into that hype,I guess Oshkosh will be glad to have you.Allsteer was an "innovative" device that wound up being pretty good at shaking the confidence of FF's,who was using that again? Oh,I remember now;Pierce! Just 'cause it's "new" doesn't necessarily make it great. Oh Larry,don't you have a snippet on the ladder share? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who owns Oskosh????

Forum Member

Wink here we go again

I could see this coming. lol...nothing like stirring up the pot

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Firefighter807

Blah, Blah Blah....my bikes better than yours, my ball mitt is a xl-2000 so it's better, my dad drives a ford truck or chevy or didge so it's the best.

Geezus, grow the hell up. On any given day any manufacturer big or small, new or established can build a a marvelous apparatus that will last for ever and run and work flawlessly. But also on that same day the next one off the line could be the most catyclismic POS ever built. There simply is no guarantee anymore and the more complex they get the more there is to go wrong.

If you like ________________(fill in the blank) fire apparatus good for you, enjoy it. But don't try and convince me that ___________________(fill in the blank) fire apparatus doesn't build quality trucks too.

Okay let's fight about line green versus red versus white over red versus black over red versus all black versus the flavor of the day color of apparatus because it is almost as relevant as this nonsense.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sklump
    Who owns Oskosh????
    Oskosh Truck Corp.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Let me jump in here...we are an all Pierce department when it comes to aerials and pumpers. Our squad (aka rescue) is an EVI/Freightliner (which we are VERY happy with).

Our oldest Pierce is a 1984 Dash 1250/500 with 105K miles. It is the best one of the bunch. It has given us the least amount of trouble over the years.

I like Pierce, but the above should tell you something.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Dave1983...

Thank you for proving my point about technology. The less complex apparatus of the 80's do not have the electronic nightmare problems the new rigs do. I would wager that your 1984 engine has a vernier throttle and a relief valve versus and electronic engine governor. Granted the majority of the throttle governor problems have been corrected but the first generation was at best eractic, either it worked all the time or gremlins would mess you up when you needed it most.

I am an unahamed fan of Mack fire apparatus and in fact my volly FD has a Mack CF that just came back from annual pump testing and maintenance...it was horrible...40 rpm's over new to make pump test. 31 year old engine and only 40 rpm's over new...Do I expect the new generation of electronic trucks to be able to operate as long with as few troubles as our MacK? Not on your life and I don't care who builds it.

FyredUp

Forum Member

I am a Pierce fan too, but I for one can not understand why everyone has to be like " a truck is better than b truck. and b truck can just go die" It has been discussed endlessly on these forums.

Can't we all just get along?!?!?

(Insert song " Why can't we be friends" here
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Default pierce quality

my opinion is that pierce was a better quality product pre-oshkosh

when the parent co decided to convert the bradenton plant in florida to fire apparatus under the contender series they made some real lemons

youngstown ohio was forced by city fathers to go el cheapo and lease 2 of them

they had a terrible time

one thing after another wrong

finally appleton extended the warranty gratis on these rigs to appease the chief

the word out of the ohio pierce rep which isnt worth 2 cents regarding the oshkosh all-steer is to pass the buck on unskilled operator firefighers as the cause of all the troubles

so they will not offer this option but u may request it if u take time to learn how to properly use it

arrow xt appears to be destined to dominate the apparatus market generally

i predict it may be a future alf 700 series miracle

already it is being pushed by pierce dealers everywhere

if rescue 1 fdny passes the test of fire then i can see fdny inching over to pierce for other apparatus

dont know who will receive the order for fdny 12 towerladders since seagraves bid is thrown out

alf is shakey financially

eone is a disaster with the 5 fdny rescues

wouldnt be surprised if pierce offers 12 95 ft midmounts in lieu of 75 ft

MembersZone Subscriber

I give up. FireFighter807 your right. Pierce rocks and everything else sucks.

Pierce is the best because:

The have an aerial fail. They "fix" the aerial and then re-sell it. They then have more problems with it after the "re-sale". LOL. What a corporate philosophy that is..........No matter if the rig is a white elephant, sell it again so we don't lose money on it.

All Steer. A proven accident causing, non-perfected, rig turning over concept that has not been perfected and caused a recall. Thats a winner too.

TAK4. Actually a good concept. Too bad they didn't come up with it like the try to convince everyone of.

Pricing. Typically overpriced in our area for no other reason other than the fact that "Its a Pierce". I know, but its better so it costs more right?

Service. In our area, long time Pierce customers are bailing out and buying other makers rigs becuase the service after the sale is non-existent. It doesn't matter if every one of the parts they make is numbered and ISO 9000 certified. If the don't have a delaer network to get the parts when needed and have a service force to install them in a timely manner, it does no good.

Two-Faced. Over the years Pierce, along with others, went on and on about steel being better than aluminum for aerials. How steel is stronger, blah, blah, blah. Now when they decide to build an aluminum aerial its all the rage. Not what you call trend setting huh? Especially since E-One and Sutphen have been building aluminum aerials for decades. What a crock and you know it. It is a shame that a company as illustrious as you state Pierce is, is so hypocritical.

Multi-plexing. I agree, not proven yet to be the way to go. Give it 10 more years as a minimum before you start beating your chest.

Parts availability. Ha Ha Ha. I suppose that Pierce knows what they are going to be making 20 years from now.

Custom Ideas. As already mentioned by another member here, only if it meets there standard list of options. If not they won't do it. If they will deviate and grace you by doing it, they will SPQ it to within an inch of its life and make you not want to do it for cost reasons.

Rell Rounded Product Line. Do they offer a 75' MM platform like alot of customers want? No. Seagrave, ALF and Sutphen do. What about a MM Tele-Squrt type device? No. E-One and Sutphen do.

Sorry for the rant, just some thoughts.
    Last edited by STATION2; 10-24-2005 at 06:02 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 06:42 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807
    They still out sell everything in the market place.

(_!_)

What happened? Didn;t you get your own Pierce calendar once and now you are chewing on sour grapes?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

They Sould change the headline of this thread to
    [B]WHY PIERCE IS THE WRONG CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    nrz2334
    Just my view

I would rather push my Seagrave than drive your Pierce!!

TNT Rescue The Best!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldman21220
    An old piece of wet 2 1/2 is much, much better. I know, I'm a Shellback.
    (thinks to self......time to hijack this going nowhere thread.....)

So........Oldman......What kind of scuzzy crap was ooozing out of King Neptune's Baby when YOU had to kiss him???? I think it was a mixture of pudding, split pea soup, and 4 day old juice from the bottom of the trash cans when I had the pleasure!!! LOL
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp
    Firefighter807

Blah, Blah Blah....my bikes better than yours, my ball mitt is a xl-2000 so it's better, my dad drives a ford truck or chevy or didge so it's the best.

Geezus, grow the hell up.

FyredUp
    Iíll second that. Do I hear a third?

Forum Member

All in favor say "Aye"
    All apposed, light sign.
    Any discussion? (nope)
    Motion closed!
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I got the calendar. I put 4 pages of it under a '94 Pierce Side Door Dash I ride on to collect oil. Another 2 went under an ALF Eagle at the side job to collect transmission fluid. 2 Pages were used for phone messages and general doodling and the last 4 got used in the bathroom of the watch office.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Station2,

I think there is a cover, too - what did you do with that? I used mine to make a scary costume for Halloween. Scared the crap out of the firefighters and the mechanics.

A buddy of mine used his to start a fire at a training burn, but the throttle on their Dash engine wouldn't pump above 40psi, and their Quantum aerial came crashing to the ground before they could get to the roof, so they had to call if off.

Seriously, though, Pierce is NOT a custom builder. Choose from their list of options and you're ok, but they only like building their own designs. They wouldn't even bid on our pumper-tanker we just ordered; they hear a height restriction in conjunction with a desired tank and hosebed size and *bam*...."You can't build a piece like that." Once in a while they'll make an exception and mount a strobe where they've never done it before, and if you're really lucky, you might get an extra fold-down step.

Ok, now I have a theory. I was never able to figure out why so many people were obsessed with Pierce. I think I might have figured out why: nobody likes the look of the lower-rated front tires and wheels, right? They look wimpy and don't look as cool as the wider tires and flat-faced rims they put on larger axles. Along comes Pierce and realizes that every one of their front ends is overweight, so they have to put heavy axles, wheels, and tires on them. Then suddenly every Pierce has cool-looking wheels, and everybody likes those wheels, so everybody likes Pierce. They build the best.

Actually, (no, this is the truth now) I really don't give a care who builds it, as long as you have a good spec and they build it to your spec, then follow through on the service. It's just a lot of fun seeing all these people obsessed with one brand or another.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... Last

Thread Information