Forum Member

Default Dress for an interview *I know a suit should be worn but read*

I will hopefully have an interview coming up with the paid department in my county. And after talking to a few people about the interview process and asking about what they wore I got the answer casual dress (golf shirt, nice polo pants and black shoes).

Now from reading the forums I know the answer is suit and tie but my question to Captian Bob and everyone else is if people have gotten hired wearing casual dress is a suit needed? or should I go with the casual dress?

Thanks for any responses

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

If everyone else is going to be wearing casual clothes then it would be ok for you to wear casual clothes, but why would you want to be like everyone else? I say suck it up wear a suit, if no one else is wearing a suit, it looks good for you because it shows your serious about the job, and also it will make you stand out from the other candidates in a good way. If your worried about being the only guy in the waiting room wearing a suit dont worry about it, other guys might thinking ha, hes trying way to hard or somthing like that but dont worry about it, you can have the last laugh when you get hired before they do.

Forum Member

Default Suit is the only way to go

Suits are formal attire, casual wear is just that. Do you view this interview as formal or casual? The answer to that question will tell you what you should wear.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Golzy oh I still planned on showing up in the suit and tie I was just wanting other opinions about it.

Forum Member

Default Suit or casual ?

I think the suit is the way to go, especially if everyone else wears casual attire. Not only will you stand out from the rest of the candidates but show respect for the interviewers.

Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Better to be overdressed than underdressed.... go for the suit
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

Default Suit!!!!!!

What you wear to an interview is the strongest non verbal statement you can make. Dress for success. Wear the suit unless you're instructed other wise.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I am not one for wearing suits and ties,a habit from my Navy days when I was a dirt magnet when in my dress whites.I could leave my rack inspection perfect but by the time I climb two ladders and opened three watertight doors to the Quarterdeck,the Officer of the Deck would be on the phone to my Division Officer or my Chief,if he REALLY wanted me in trouble,asking why I wasn't fit for the quarterdeck.
    That being said,you are trying to get hired for a job and will be needing to put your best foot forward.Just dropping the application off at the administration office is one thing but having the interview portion is where you need to be well dressed and presentable to the officers who will be deciding if you are going to have your shot at getting on the department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wear a suit. It always leaves a lasting impression.

The only time I didnt wear a suit was for my very first FD interview when I was 19. I didn't get the job but that is not the point of the story. An interesting thing happened that day. While sitting in the waiting room, I looked around and only saw one guy in a suit out of the 12 of us there. Some had shirt and ties, and some had polos. In my mind, I felt very underdressed but I wasn't going to let it show. Anyways, the BC steps out to call the first canidate and as he looked around the room, his eyes fell on the guy in a suit. The BC then said, Sir I appreciate you taking the effort to wear a suit and you look great. I will inform the other officers, but before you come in here I want you to lose the jacket and relax. So he did as instructed. He was one of the ones that got the job.

Point: If they want you to dress any less, they will tell you, but always show up in a nice, unwrinkled suit that fits appropriately.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are a serious candidate you will wear a suit and tie. If you canít afford to purchase one, borrow one from a friend. You are looking to portray a professional image. You do not want the board to focus on something that is not positive. You are two steps behind if you are not dressed appropriately.
    Good luck and donít forget to do your homework prior to your interview. Be passionate about why you want the job and why you want to work for THIS department.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of Smoke Your Firefighter Interview and The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-year Plan
    www.smokeyourfirefighterinterview.com

Forum Member

CaptBob and everyone else thanks for the replies went suit shopping today and picked up the suit however CaptBob is Dark Blue and Grey the only colors you recommend or would brown suffice? I know you say Dark blue and grey but brown was what I ended up with any advice

Forum Member

Default Colors

The suggested colors are only suggestions. Who picked out the color? A lady in your life? The personal shopper?

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I ended up picking the brown out because it was either a brown cotton suit or some awful colored polyester suit and from what I read polyesters out so I figured the brown wool suit was a better choice.

Forum Member

Default Colors

The the suit been tailored to you yet?

Permanently Removed

1. Buy the suit. (I see you already did) I suggest a suit because once you buy it, then you can use it for funerals, weddings and your future oral interviews. I bought my last suit in 1998 and it still fits me and doing the job. Got my money out of it.

2. Color- I like a charcoal grey with pinstripes. Think "business", not "fire department" when picking out a suit and color. Shirt should be white.

Forum Member

yes CaptBob it is ok this is probably a first I took a picture if a candidate came in for the interview wearing this suit with a white shirt would it send a good first impression or not quite
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 11-11-2005 at 05:28 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I sit on dozens of oral and promotional boards. The color of oneís suit doesnít matter to me as long as I donít notice it.

Let me explain:
    Itís kind of like the referee in a ball game. He is a necessary part of the game but you donít notice him until he makes a bad call. If he is doing his job, he is not noticed.

I donít notice a candidateís suit unless there is something peculiar about it. Stick with conservative.

Remember the people who are grading you are conservative by nature.

Lastly, most of us dread putting on a suit. We expect you to wear one out of respect for the panel and to make a statement of how important the job is to you. Hopefully, once you get hired you will have to blow the dust off it on occasion for a wedding. Just another perk of the job!

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    Author of:
    Smoke Your Firefighter Interview
    The Aspiring Firefighterís Two-year Plan
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

My captain sits on the oral interview board for a rather large department and one day we were talking about this very question. I have some friends trying to get in my department and my captain said one thing he and some of the other oral board interviewers do not like to see worn to the interviews are class "A" fire dress uniforms (from volly or other career depts) or military uniforms.

MembersZone Subscriber

I completely agree with lagerboy's post. This is especially true when it comes to a volunteer wearing Class A unifirms. DON'T DO IT.

Military men and women:
    I thank you and respect you for protecting our country. Your contributions will be duly noted in the interview. Don't over do it by wearing your uniform.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

MembersZone Subscriber

Wear the suit to EVERYTHING. Polygraph, psych etc....
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dneptun81
    Wear the suit to EVERYTHING. Polygraph, psych etc....
    Wear it to turn in your application, to do the written test, to the physical agility test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd like to see someone do a PAT in a suit!
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

MembersZone Subscriber

I interviewed for a private ambulance job in a suit and they about freaked out. They said they never seen anyone wear a suit for a private ambulance job.

Just dont walk in their wearing a pimp suit. Wearing something you would wear to church or maybe a funeral. You need a tie, some nice shoes, and if you button it, know which buttons to button and which ones not to. Also, make sure its not wrinkled and make sure it fits. If it fit 20lbs ago... good chance you may need a new one

Thread Information