Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster
    Since you asked...

http://www.stormsurvival.homestead.c...ers_page1.html

And I quote:

"During Hurricane Andrew, looting was common place and accepted as a way of life."
    clicked in anger and error
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 10-27-2005 at 03:52 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm gonna leave my political view point out of this...I know better.

But c'mon George, you accuse him of putting a liberal spin on this, but you are taking what the press reported on in NO and "spinning" it to fit your argument.

He doesn't need to cite any references to looting in FL after Andrew. Its just simple human nature that when services are disrupted to the point that law and order cannot be enforced, anarchy takes over. Its the reason we have laws in the first place. I would find it hard to believe there has been one single major disaster in this country where looting did not occur, justified (taking of vital supplies) or not.

Hell, there was even looting in Manhattan after 9/11, even firefighters ALLEGEDLY looted stores in the WTC basement.
    I agree with FFRED 100%. You have the audacity to send me a PM, asking for my forgiveness for your past slander of people and then you post garbage like this? I hope you rot in hell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    You can keep quoting the liberal talking point about vital supplies. It's simply not true. Is a plasma screen TV a vital supply? It is but one tiny example.
    Not true at all or not true in every case? It's not about being liberal, it's about what did and did not occur. Was there looting of vital supplies? Yes. Was there looting of non-vital supplies? Yes. Is this exclusive to New Orleans? Absolutely not.

However, let me make something clear. The link cited earlier by medicmaster has bad information also. It would have you believe that looting is a rampant problem at every disaster. That simply isn't the case. The media does like to focus on looting (not matter how limited in scope it actually is)...sometimes this leads people to believe it was more widespread and rampant than it actually was. I will give you this, I'm still involved in the disaster management community and they have already received quick grant money to research the looting that occured in NO as an "exception to the rule"...however, early speculation is that it was once again blown out of proportion. We'll see what they find.

I asked before, can you source that there was looting after Andrew?
    I might dig through my boxes of papers and books when I get home tomorrow if you are truly interested in reading about it, but won't if you're just trying to argue. I got by bachelor's degree in emergency management in the years following Hurricane Andrew. It was discussed plenty, but I can't cite sources off the top of my head.

You can flood and shut down any city in FL you want. That state is far too prepared to have the same end result as NO.
    Florida has done a remarkable job in the post Andrew years. Again, it's very difficult to compare NO to any recent Florida hurricanes. They share the same trigger, but vary in many other ways. I know you're far too smart to think you can flood a FL city the size of NO and not have many, many problems so there is no sense in arguing about that. Whether FL would do a better job than LA in preparing and recovering? I hope so????? They've been very proactive in building codes, preparedness exercises, and developing recovery plans before the incident even occurs...LA did many exercises over the years. The "New Orleans Scenario" was not a surprise. What was a surprise is how poorly the event went down. The problem is much bigger than the mayor or governor....though they don't appear to help much.

You can cancel his Bush vote, but you can't cancel mine, too. What has he done that is so bad?
    Him personally...nothing. As it stands the Bush's will have been in the White House 12 out of the last 20 years...if Jeb gets in we could be talking about 16 to 20 of the last 28 years. If it's anylike like GBI and W they will surround themselves with a lot of the same people. A little change may do me some good.

Wink Priceless!

I agree with FFRED 100%. You have the audacity to send me a PM, asking for my forgiveness for your past slander of people and then you post garbage like this? I hope you rot in hell.
    To use your words:

"post duly reported to the webteam"

By the way, I did not send you a PM asking you for forgiveness of my past slander of people. I sent you a PM apologizing to you for calling you what I called you which ultimately led to my banishment temporarily. I never slandered anyone.

Since it was meant as a PM, but you decided to bring it up in public, I'll post it for all to see:

"George,

I am sending you a private message to simply let you know that I have no ill will towards you...even if you don't care. I am truly sorry for the things I said that led to me being temporarily kicked off the forums. It was inappropriate and wrong.

Yes, I am a young firefighter/paramedic, and yes, I am very passionate about what I do. I care very much about the advancement of the professions of firefighting and EMS. I also care deeply about performing the job safely which was why I posted the video of the squad cars being hit by a van as a reminder of what could happen. I really did not mean to inflict a jab or insult cops as alleged.

If you want to disagree with me..that is your right. But please, do not disagree with me simply because of what happened. I would very much like to move beyond that and continue usuing the firehouse forums to learn and share information.

I would hope that you would feel the same way, so please accept my apology for what happened and let's move on.

Thanks"

But, since you can't seem to move beyond it...it was obviously a waste of my time.

I may have disagreed with you on this particular thread, and stated my opinion...I even cited a reference...which you for whatever reason dispute. I did not attack you, slander you, or otherwise.

So you tell me...if you tell me that you "hope I rot in hell", how is that any diffrent than what I said to you, which you reported, and got me kicked out of here. (which everyone magically jumped to your defense and climbed all over me for acting "unprofessional" and a "disgrace to the fire service") I came back, have followed the rules and tried to play nice, but apparently that is too difficult for you.

Have a Nice Day!
    Last edited by medicmaster; 10-28-2005 at 01:30 AM.

Default Are you in the IACOJ??

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Listen you Sh*tbag EMS Slug...you got some balls posting that when it was proven to be false. You don;t have a f'king clue about what you are even talking about. Stick to what you know...a-hole.

If you have a minute check this out:

Truth about Ladder Co. 4

FTM-PTB

WOW!!!

I may or may not be a "****bag EMS Slug" (which shows a lot of class and professionalism) but, the last time I called someone a-hole...I got kicked off the forums.

As someone once said to me:

"post duly reported to webteam"

Also note that on my post...I used the word Allegedly...I even put in all caps so it would not be taken out of context...which you did!
    Last edited by medicmaster; 10-28-2005 at 02:10 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

To use your words:

"post duly reported to the webteam"

By the way, I did not send you a PM asking you for forgiveness of my past slander of people. I sent you a PM apologizing to you for calling you what I called you which ultimately led to my banishment temporarily. I never slandered anyone.

Since it was meant as a PM, but you decided to bring it up in public, I'll post it for all to see:

"George,

I am sending you a private message to simply let you know that I have no ill will towards you...even if you don't care. I am truly sorry for the things I said that led to me being temporarily kicked off the forums. It was inappropriate and wrong.

Yes, I am a young firefighter/paramedic, and yes, I am very passionate about what I do. I care very much about the advancement of the professions of firefighting and EMS. I also care deeply about performing the job safely which was why I posted the video of the squad cars being hit by a van as a reminder of what could happen. I really did not mean to inflict a jab or insult cops as alleged.

If you want to disagree with me..that is your right. But please, do not disagree with me simply because of what happened. I would very much like to move beyond that and continue usuing the firehouse forums to learn and share information.

I would hope that you would feel the same way, so please accept my apology for what happened and let's move on.

Thanks"

But, since you can't seem to move beyond it...it was obviously a waste of my time.

I may have disagreed with you on this particular thread, and stated my opinion...I even cited a reference...which you for whatever reason dispute. I did not attack you, slander you, or otherwise.

So you tell me...if you tell me that you "hope I rot in hell", how is that any diffrent than what I said to you, which you reported, and got me kicked out of here. (which everyone magically jumped to your defense and climbed all over me for acting "unprofessional" and a "disgrace to the fire service") I came back, have followed the rules and tried to play nice, but apparently that is too difficult for you.

Have a Nice Day!
    I think that expressing my personal hopes and desires is vastly different than calling a person names.

BTW, you really didn't see how much you embarrassed yourself with this post, did you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kayakking
    Not true at all or not true in every case? It's not about being liberal, it's about what did and did not occur. Was there looting of vital supplies? Yes. Was there looting of non-vital supplies? Yes. Is this exclusive to New Orleans? Absolutely not.

However, let me make something clear. The link cited earlier by medicmaster has bad information also. It would have you believe that looting is a rampant problem at every disaster. That simply isn't the case. The media does like to focus on looting (not matter how limited in scope it actually is)...sometimes this leads people to believe it was more widespread and rampant than it actually was. I will give you this, I'm still involved in the disaster management community and they have already received quick grant money to research the looting that occured in NO as an "exception to the rule"...however, early speculation is that it was once again blown out of proportion. We'll see what they find.

I might dig through my boxes of papers and books when I get home tomorrow if you are truly interested in reading about it, but won't if you're just trying to argue. I got by bachelor's degree in emergency management in the years following Hurricane Andrew. It was discussed plenty, but I can't cite sources off the top of my head.

Florida has done a remarkable job in the post Andrew years. Again, it's very difficult to compare NO to any recent Florida hurricanes. They share the same trigger, but vary in many other ways. I know you're far too smart to think you can flood a FL city the size of NO and not have many, many problems so there is no sense in arguing about that. Whether FL would do a better job than LA in preparing and recovering? I hope so????? They've been very proactive in building codes, preparedness exercises, and developing recovery plans before the incident even occurs...LA did many exercises over the years. The "New Orleans Scenario" was not a surprise. What was a surprise is how poorly the event went down. The problem is much bigger than the mayor or governor....though they don't appear to help much.

Him personally...nothing. As it stands the Bush's will have been in the White House 12 out of the last 20 years...if Jeb gets in we could be talking about 16 to 20 of the last 28 years. If it's anylike like GBI and W they will surround themselves with a lot of the same people. A little change may do me some good.
    Anyway, getting back to intelligent discussion...

I would be truly interested in reading about the supposed looting after Andrew. I remember reading nothing about it.

Also, doesn't seem a little silly to vote against a very competent candidate; one that you admit has done nothing wrong, simply because he was related to past preseidents?

Forum Member

Anyway, getting back to intelligent discussion...

I would be truly interested in reading about the supposed looting after Andrew. I remember reading nothing about it.

Also, doesn't seem a little silly to vote against a very competent candidate; one that you admit has done nothing wrong, simply because he was related to past preseidents?

I'll look when I get home for the info on looting during Andrew.

As far as Jeb is concerned, it's not simply because they're related...the president is bigger than himself...my fear is that he'll keep many of the same people in the White House there in one form or fashion. I could only speculate who or where. I tend to favor tree huggers and liberals more anyway. They're not all bad.

Medicmaster.. why would you bring up the IACOJ in your post to FFFred?

I agree with him..even though you put "allegedly" in caps when referring to "alleged looting at the WTC"... it was proven false, yet you threw it in as a dig in an attempt to legitimize your post. Slandering the memories of 343 fallen brothers isn't the way to do it.

You can cast your lot with mutts like Langeswieche if you choose. I do hope your coworkers read your posts. In my firehouse and department, you would be an outcast.

You are lucky I am not on the firehouse webteam. I have had enough of your crap. Don't pm me for apologies, and don't bother posting them here, either!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-28-2005 at 12:26 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

WOW!!!

I may or may not be a "****bag EMS Slug" (which shows a lot of class and professionalism) but, the last time I called someone a-hole...I got kicked off the forums.

As someone once said to me:

"post duly reported to webteam"

Also note that on my post...I used the word Allegedly...I even put in all caps so it would not be taken out of context...which you did!

I have to say, Iím with FFFRED here. Your accusation had no bearing on the conversation. Your remark showed a lack of class, and commonsense. Your allegedly doesnít cut it.
    Itís posts, with attitudes presented in them like this that put you in the category of MUTT.
    Seems to be contagious, lately.

Thread Information