Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Just A Little Halloween Safety Reminder

I got this from my Daily Safety Bulletin:

HALLOWEEN SAFETY
    Some Tips for Protecting Your Kids
    By Catherine Jones

Halloween is a safety conundrum. It's a holiday in which our kids engage in behaviors that we normally discourage: Horseplay, talking to and taking candy from people we don't know, walking around the streets at night, etc. But since there's no avoiding it, follow these tips to keep your little ghouls and goblins safe during the trick-or-treating and other holiday festivities:

Costume Safety

Choose bright costumes or add strips of reflective tape for visibility;

Avoid costumes that are long and flowing to prevent trips and entanglements;

Avoid masks and hats that restrict vision; instead use non-toxic makeup or face paint;

Look for "flame resistant" or "flame retardant" labels on costumes and accessories Trick-or-Treating;

An adult should accompany trick-or-treaters, especially younger ones;

If you have older kids who are going it alone, plan the route with them and restrict it to a neighborhood you know well. Also be sure to set a time you expect them home;

Stay in groups;

Cross at crosswalks;

Use the sidewalk;

Carry a flashlight and batteries.

At Home

Remove from your yard obstacles that could trip trick-or-treaters;

Sweep leaves off your sidewalk and steps;

Place lighted pumpkins on a sturdy surface, far from the reach (and costumes) of small trick-or-treaters;

Examine all the candy your kids bring home. Throw out anything that's been opened, not in its original wrapping and homemade (if you don't know the source).

For more Halloween safety tips, visit the websites of the Home Safety Council (www.homesafetycouncil.org) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (www.aap.org).

Jack 'O Lantern Product Recall

Halloween decoration recalled.

When decorating your house for Halloween this year, don't overheat your Jack 'O Lantern. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a warning about Jack 'O Lantern buckets containing eight tea lights. If all eight candles are lit at the same time, it can generate too much heat and pose a fire hazard.

There have been three reports of fires when all eight candles in the bottom of the bucket decoration were lit, including damage to carpets and a table, other minor property damage and one second degree burn.

The Jack 'O Lantern buckets are tea light candleholders sold in three colors: orange, cream and black. The buckets are about 6.25 inches high and about 7 inches in diameter at the top. They have item number 14609-00 or 14609-02 written on a sticker located on the bottom of the buckets.

If you have this bucket, use only a single candle at a time and trim the wick of the tea light according to the instructions on the bottom of the bucket.

For more information, contact Far East Brokers and Consultants, Inc. toll-free at (877) 332-9006 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

SafetyXChange [newsletter@safetyxchange.org]
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-25-2005 at 12:34 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I did a similar posting on our local forum.. I see one thing that can be added..

If you have dogs, keep them inside or leashed in an area other than where the kids will be coming to the door. Dogs may be afraid of kids in costume and vice versa!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Mmm yes, especially when he's a 100 pound Suck who really does like kids
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information