Forum Member

Default Rescinded our DJ letter

I'd love to know if anyone else recieved this communication today...

Dear AFG Applicant,

As you know, Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) are competitive, and the competition relies on first, how well each application conforms to established funding priorities and second, on the results of the peer review of the applications that most reflect those funding priorities. We recently transmitted the first round of turndown letters to applicants that did not successfully enter the second phase, the peer review. In responding to numerous applicants who disputed our determination that their application was focused on the funding priorities, we ascertained that a small number of applications should have continued on to the panel review. Your application was in that group. Your application should have made it past the preliminary review and should have been evaluated by the panels.

We are, therefore, rescinding the turndown letter that we just sent you and we are convening a special panel in November to peer review your application. This notice is in no way an indication that you will be awarded a grant. But, we are advising you that your applicaton is going to receive additional consideration. We will relate the panel's determination in the very near future.

We apologize for the confusion.

Thank you for your patience and continued participation in the fire grant program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well that's the first one of those that I have ever seen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Holy....run a new wrinkle of confusion in they system....Batman

While that's some great news for those who get the letter...holy smoley it sounds like they're going to open a whole new set of problems.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I have two of my departments who have recieved these this afternoon already. One EMS/Rescue and one FD. Maybe a reprieve is in the making for a couple of you out there.Sometimes it pays to be a squeaky wheel" looks like some might get oiled after all, if you mistakes in the front questions were innocent enough. I am just wondering if a special peer review panel will be convened or if these will be reviewed by FPS.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

And what about a worst case scenario where the apps that are now going to be reviewed may score higher than an app that has already been awarded a grant....not a problem until you get to the end of the rewards and they may have some apps that should've recieved an award, not getting one because they were not scored in time.....I'm betting money that this could slow down the rest of the awards til they score these new apps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Kurt, had a RS Org. receive one today...and I agree, what if you had a FD or RS/EMS that was awarded in an earlier round that already scored lower than one of the ones being reconsidered? Hmmm, food for thought. Although, we would never know, since the scores are not made public. Possible PR nightmare for someone, though. But, good fortune for those in the reconisderation group.

I would like to know the approximate number of letters/emails that went out today. Just FYI.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Looks like if I had read the whole notice better I would have answered my own questions. A special peer panel will be convened in November to look at these.

Dixine it did say " a small number" but, 3 out of my 5 DJs got notices today; 2 FD /1 EMS
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into the re-review, after all, if the score was so low coming out of the computer after being denied, the average may not make a difference after being read.

Lots of folks that addressed the priorities were denied. There's only so much money to go around, and if everyone addressed the priorities, then some will still get denied. Just the way it is.

It will be interesting to see what goes down in a few weeks.

Forum Member

So, if this means they found errors in AFG, whats to say there were not errors on SAFER since the applications are basicly identical, and the process the same.

It's kind of the "Pandoras Box" thingy isn't it!!!!!!

Forum Member

What did the your depts. apply for?

MembersZone Subscriber

My RS applied for PPE...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The word from one of my DHS contacts:

The basis for any appeal is that an application did not get fair and impartial treatment due to a technical or procedural problem. In the case of vehicles, the machine miscalculated the scores on equipment requests but every applicant received the same treatment, thus there is no basis for claiming "unfair". The issue with the miscalculated score is that the machine did not treat all applicants consistently with our program guidance. We ran all non-paneled applications through the new formulas (treating all fairly) where the new formulas reflect (fairly) the program guidance and we determined that 300 applications should have been paneled. It is only fair, therefore, to panel them.

We work really hard to make certain that all the applicants are treated fairly (the same way). When something like this happens we know there will be talk but that's way better than not catching the mistake or not repaneling them.
    So they re-ran all apps through the computer with the adjusted scoring, so this wasn't a random set of apps that was chosen, nor was the re-review the result of any kind of whining or screaming on the department's part. Or any members of Congress either. There are still no guarantees of anything, and no mention of how competitive the 2nd computer score was, so it is possible that the same fate may await this set of apps, but they now have a better chance than before, so only time will tell.

- Brian

Forum Member

Wouldnt all the remaining grants have to be re-scored against those who have now re- entered the pool? This should cause a chunky delay. This may answer to the delay or lack of 1199's and 10Q's.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not likely. It's not expected that any of the re-reviewed apps are going to end up in the winner's circle. Getting to be reviewed only means you were in the range of the top 200% of funds available. Over half those reviewed still will get denied, so while getting to review is good, you still have a 50-50 shot once in. So these re-scored apps most likely came in at the low end of the scoring scale, so there is a long line of reviewed but ready to be denied apps ahead of them. And only 400-500 more awards to go, so not really much money left anyway.

Mostly, they are being reviewed because when they ran them through the computer, they found they should have been reviewed instead of 300 others that did get reviewed and are about to be denied. So to make sure all of the bases are covered, they are going to a panel so that the due diligence is done. No changes in awards are expected, they just want to make sure the process was done properly just in case 1 department does get scored high enough to bump someone else off.

Forum Member

Cool

Brian,
    So at this point is it pretty well safe to say that if your dept. hasn't received a DJ, that they are still more than likely to get one, especially since most questions and 1199's are received weeks ahead of actually being announced as getting a grant!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's my ed-ju-ma-kated guess since there are close to 5,000 DJs that haven't been send for those that were reviewed but denied, and only about 500 awards left to hand out based on their numbers. Slim chance, but not none yet. I figure we ought to see the DJs within the next two weeks for sure.

Forum Member

Unhappy

So if you were a betting man, would you say the 500 to be awarded have more than likely already received their 1199?

MembersZone Subscriber

Just an FYI on this, I have about 3-4 FD's that are sill awaiting awards that have had their ?'s (& 1199) for several weeks, some as long as 2-3 months. The paperwork is all in order, the reduction email was received, etc. So, we're just waiting to hear something! (I think 6 weeks - 2 months is the average for my departments)...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd go All-In on at least half having received them already. Which is more likely than we winning when holding Pocket Aces lately.

Forum Member

Question

Dixie,
    Did any of those depts. that got their 1199 get funded in the last round?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    I'd go All-In on at least half having received them already. Which is more likely than we winning when holding Pocket Aces lately.
    Got our email DJ yesterday.
    That puts us 0 for 5.
    Funny thing is that our app made it to the very last round last year.
    The only thing we changed this year is that we requested less money.
    Peer review told us last year that it was a very good application.
    Peer review told us this year that we failed to meet criteria in FOUR areas.
    Talk about confusing.
    But it makes me wonder...
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian:
    Please note that I'm biting my tongue here!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Brian:
    Please note that I'm biting my tongue here!
    CR
    What did you apply for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

CR, I thought I heard some cursing coming from the general Illinois direction yesterday. Sorry to hear about it again, but I wouldn't read anything into the "failed to meet" part, it's a form phrase they pre-programmed for when it reads scores not high enough to award.

Shoot me an email offline if you want to go over 2006 options.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hope!!!

BC79r...You are almost 100% right but I hope your post from 10-28 is wrong . But then again I am kinda biased, 1 of my fd's dear john got cancelled with that batch. The fd I put in for was for ppe, air paks, and a tic. Rural VFD, 100 + runs per yr. This would also be a first for this dept. Good luck to all with your grants!!!

Thread Information