MembersZone Subscriber

Default "Still Can't Convince Your Firefighters to Wear Seatbelts?

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/

I am passing this on as it was posted in my current class on Fire Prevention Management by one of my classmates. Watch this video. It is on the home page.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/

I am passing this on as it was posted in my current class on Fire Prevention Management by one of my classmates. Watch this video. It is on the home page.
    Eerily accurate. CLICK
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife uses that clip in the child passenger safety class she does for law enforcement officers. Usually saves it for the point in her presentation when an officer makes the "seat belts should be a personal choice" comment. She follows it with "when you fly through your windshield and kill my child or my husband, it becomes my business". Tends to quiet the naysayer.
    Buckle up.
    And take your POV and children (or grandchildren) to a child passenger safety check, you'll be amazed at what you might learn.
    earl

Forum Member

Wow. I like that better than the dashcam of the guy flying around inside the car. While this is clearly staged, it makes a good point. When you aren't buckled, you are the projectile.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Wow that video is intense, I wonder how they film that kind of stuff. Really sends the message home though, hopefully it gets through to everyone especially the "invincible" kids.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Forum Member

I've never seen that video in the US but it should be on every channel. I'm someone would sue because it is to graphic.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    I've never seen that video in the US but it should be on every channel. I'm someone would sue because it is to graphic.
    Ya no kidding eh. Which is too bad because it would appear to be quite effective.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Virtual Reality can be a cool tool. Thats a good video to show people, esp new drivers. Goes to prove my feeling that seatbelts should be required for ALL occupants not just front seat ones or ones under a certain age. Look how many times the unrestrained driver comes in contact, including head to head, with the female seated to his right. Just proves that your actions are effect more than just you as an individual.

On a side note, check back on the link on FF Closecalls and look at the picture above it... Are you freakin kidding me!?!? You set a FF on Fire to teach Stop, Drop and Roll to KIDS in an obviously occupied school!! Man would that be a Darwin award if something happened to the guy.

Forum Member

The video reminds me of two MVI's with in a week of each other, both were single vehicle incidents. (I hate the word "accident" as most aren't accidents.) First incident driver drove off the road, rolled once, no seatbelt. Easy call, as part of his skull was outside the vehicle. Second call SUV was side swiped, hit concrete barrier, flipped onto roof. All five passengers were wearing their seat belts. Driver suffered a broken collar bone, all other passengers were unijured. Still members of my fire dept. refuse to wear seatbelts.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

We've been doing a lot of visits to the local grade schools for fire prevention week and one thing I've noticed when we get to the part where they can climb into the rig for a look-see is EVERY one of the kids will look around to find where the seatbelt is and start to put it on,even though we are telling them that we won't be taking them for a ride.
    I don't want to tell them they don't have to put the belt on because that would undermine the lesson that they have learned to always put a seatbelt on when entering any car.

Forum Member

If I drive to the top of my driveway to get the mail, I put it on like an idiot out of habit.

Early Adopter

Exclamation Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    Wow. I like that better than the dashcam of the guy flying around inside the car. While this is clearly staged, it makes a good point. When you aren't buckled, you are the projectile.
    I've always thought the dashcam video was sort of eerie -- regardless of how the driver fared afterwards. Nearly 12 years ago, I was in an accident and was unrestrained. Seeing that poor dude bounce around the passenger compartment brings back bad memories.

Forum Member

besides the video is GREAT ............you should all check that site ofter for info, pics and tips on how to go home after every call.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    besides the video is GREAT ............you should all check that site ofter for info, pics and tips on how to go home after every call.

And that, my friend is what I want for all of you. To end the preventable deaths and go home safe everytime.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    And that, my friend is what I want for all of you. To end the preventable deaths and go home safe everytime.
    ......and thats why we love Cheffie !!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I believe this may be the dash cam video some are refering to: http://www.bofunk.com/video/2111/sleepy_driver.html

Here is the direct link for the topic video, in case they happen to remove it from the main page: http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com...atbeltNOBS.mpg
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

WOW!! I've been slacking when it comes to wearing my seatbelt, but after seeing those videos, I am definitely wearing mine ALL the time now! Espically after seeing that first one.......
    All of the above comments are solely mine and not those of anyone else.

Nobody is ugly after 2 A.M.

Some see the glass as half-empty, some see it as half-full, I just wonder who in the H#$* is drinking my beer!!

MembersZone Subscriber

They are from a series of hard hitting advertisments screened in Northern Ireland.

There is another one, I'll try to dig it out, with three kids showing what happens when they do and don't wear seatbelts....one is holding Pizza and the mess the pizza leaves on the windscreen leaves you in little doubt to what it represents.

They are showing them over here on the mainland as well, but they were originally made for NI because of the high incidence of young Driver accidents.

The UK is known for its award winning TV advertising of all genres, but they really do well with these safety ones. Slightly off topic, there are a couple showing a young Britney lookalike showing us around her wonderful house in the future like on MTV, then it cuts back to her as a schoolgirl in uniform chatting while crossing the road and getting hit by a car....cutting her life and consequently the Rock Star future short.

The change from the girl crossing the road to the car hitting some sort of body enhanced by CGI is seemless... it is as if you are witnessing the kid getting killed.

I think they are very worthwhile...but will people ever learn?
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I found the seatbelt one and posted a link below. There are various others on the site for teenagers, drink driving, child safety seats etc...

Backwards.mpg
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Steve got there before me with the source of the first video. Would you beleive that when it was first produced, it was deemed "too graphic" for the rest of the United Kingdoms TV audience...we still get loads of unrestrained occupant RTC's where deaths and serious injuries occur every year. Go figure
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

I used the fist one from the close calls website in a class this morning. It worked well, definately had the desired effect.

Thread Information