Thread: What the Heck!

Forum Member

Default What the Heck!

This one just made my blood boil, and i punched a hole in my wall.

An article on TV that was trying to get parents to keep military recruiters out of schools.

FACT #1 IF you kid signs up for the military under the age of 18 the parent is required to sign consent to enlist in the program where you go through basic between your junior and senior year. Some training senior year and go to either OCS or CS. IF you dont want your kid signing up, dont sign.

PLUS when they hit the age of 18, they can do whatever the hell they want. If you dont like it, TOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus, keeping recruiters out of schools is taking that resource from those students that want to enlist and plan on making a career or life change by enlisting. It might just be me, But alot of people are forgeting what the military does for this country and that things arnt free. Why ruin the chance for some to enlist, if you dont like it, dont do it.
    They arent hunting students down in the halls, just sitting at a table at lunch and the students come to them.

Also, IT is a Federal Law under NCLB that recuriters must have equal access to schools. IF you dont want them there, you must sign a form to keep your information private. I will laugh my rear off for eternity when some school bans recuriters and the federal govt cuts all funding to the district, then the same parents will moan about why they have no money anymore.

In my opinion, recruiters should be allowed. If you dont allow them, dont allow left wing and right wing colleges, dont allow job recruiters that align themselves with certain political parties, etc...

Rant OFF.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

So when did you serve and with what service? And who gets to go to OCS before they have even graduated HIGH SCHOOL? I am a bit confused by your rant.
    Semper Fi,
    Dennis
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Have not served yet. Got injured and never completed the task. I was on my way to USMC. But screwd the heck out of my knee on a 15' fall this was 3 weeks before I was going to sign.

I was just trying to recall the routes that my RDI had explained to me.

What I meant by OCS was once you complete highschool, the corps will help you find a college with a ROTC program in place. Once you graduate from college, you go to OCS.....etc. If you dont want the college route, you can go straight into combat school. It was 5 years ago when I was going to enlist, but the injury screwed me for a few years, its fixed now, but I dont know what I am going to do. Since I now have a distinct career goal and am about 3/4 the way done getting to it, I might go USAF or USAR reserve.
    I was alittle out on cold medicine and was pretty ****ed off at the tv, so I think I left a few things out of my rant.

But I personaly have a crap load of respect for those who serve and those who have served.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    Have not served yet. Got injured and never completed the task. I was on my way to USMC. But screwd the heck out of my knee on a 15' fall this was 3 weeks before I was going to sign.

I was just trying to recall the routes that my RDI had explained to me.

What I meant by OCS was once you complete highschool, the corps will help you find a college with a ROTC program in place. Once you graduate from college, you go to OCS.....etc. If you dont want the college route, you can go straight into combat school. It was 5 years ago when I was going to enlist, but the injury screwed me for a few years, its fixed now, but I dont know what I am going to do. Since I now have a distinct career goal and am about 3/4 the way done getting to it, I might go USAF or USAR reserve.
    I was alittle out on cold medicine and was pretty ****ed off at the tv, so I think I left a few things out of my rant.

But I personaly have a crap load of respect for those who serve and those who have served.
    The Marine Corps is not going to help you find any sort of college, you are on your own there. You finish boot camp you are going off to MCT/School of Infantry then off to your MOS School, and then going off to the Fleet. From there, IF you have good grades and good proficancy and conduct scores than, you can apply for the Naval Academy or the MECEPS program, nobody is going to do the applying for you.

As for keeping recruiters out of the schools, that is up to the parents of the community to decide. If they decide that they do not want them there, they will be giving up their Federal funding, in many cases that is not giving up much, in other cases that is most of their budget. Democracy in action, if you want to defend it, you better LOVE it.

And as a side note/question, I thought that they did away with the kids going off to boot camp between their Junior and Senior Years of H.S. about a decade ago?
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

For the first question,I would say that if the schools are going to keep military recruiters off high school campuses,they should keep anyone looking to hire high schoolers off as well.
    The Navy wasn't quite the adventure my recruiter promised me and I know what parts of that were my fault.My experience(that I'd repeat in a heartbeat,just with a couple different P.O.s)and the fact that this country is at war should not be a reason to prevent the US government from encouraging young adults to enlist or go for a commission in the service of their choice.

On the second,I only know from a friend's enlisting in the Army National Guard,and watching her ROTC grades plummet because our Instructor was Regular Army,that 20 years ago,you could go to basic training as long as you were 18 or over.
    I did not know the policy had been changed.Was it because someone got hurt during training and couldn't take their team to a championship their senior year?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    As for keeping recruiters out of the schools, that is up to the parents of the community to decide. If they decide that they do not want them there, they will be giving up their Federal funding, in many cases that is not giving up much, in other cases that is most of their budget. Democracy in action, if you want to defend it, you better LOVE it.

And as a side note/question, I thought that they did away with the kids going off to boot camp between their Junior and Senior Years of H.S. about a decade ago?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    For the first question,I would say that if the schools are going to keep military recruiters off high school campuses,they should keep anyone looking to hire high schoolers off as well.
    The Navy wasn't quite the adventure my recruiter promised me and I know what parts of that were my fault.My experience(that I'd repeat in a heartbeat,just with a couple different P.O.s)and the fact that this country is at war should not be a reason to prevent the US government from encouraging young adults to enlist or go for a commission in the service of their choice.
    Parents should be able to exercise local control that the GOP lead Congress and White House keeps extolling. If they are willing to give up the incentive of federal money, than they should be free to be able to keep out any federal job program, be it the job corps, peace corps, or Marine Corps that comes a knocking at THEIR school house. Accept the federal money on the other hand and you have to play by the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    On the second,I only know from a friend's enlisting in the Army National Guard,and watching her ROTC grades plummet because our Instructor was Regular Army,that 20 years ago,you could go to basic training as long as you were 18 or over.
    I did not know the policy had been changed.Was it because someone got hurt during training and couldn't take their team to a championship their senior year?
    I am pretty sure that you can go to boot camp at age 18 still regardless, 17 even, except for the fact that they usually want a H.S. Diploma, and unless your scores are really good won't accept a GED(we will have to see how long that lasts with the current recruiting situation) atleast for the USMC. I was specifically wondering about the H.S. juniors, who on average are 16 turning 17 that summer, so they are entering Boot Camp at age 16/17. I entered boot camp at age 17 myself, after graduating H.S. with mom and dad's signatures of course.

I just thought that the Junior/Senior summer H.S. program had disappeared in the late 80's
    -Big Russ

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think the program actually ended in the late 90s. I went to go sign up my junior year and they told me that I could go during summer for boot camp if I wanted. Then I went back a year later half way through my senior year and they told me that the program was done with. I was in delayed enlistment for half a year before leaving.

Forum Member

I am currently looking into possibly enlisting in the Illinois National Guard here in the near future. Currently I am a Junior in High School and would not be able to officially enlist until I was 17 (with permission of course). I would go to basic over the summer between my Junior and Senior years and then attend drill one weekend a month.
    Mike Hopper

Thread Information