Thread: 10 codes

Forum Member

Default 10 codes

Don't know if there is another post on this or not. Dont have time to research it, but how many other departments use 10 codes and whats everyones feelings on the 10 codes..

Be safe!
    Auk

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county has ordered all FDs to stop using 10 codes, and go to clear text. Only problem is that clear text is whatever the person currently on the radio feels like saying. There should be guidelines set for "clear text". However I believe that the 10 codes sound more professional and I also think that they cut down on useless air time. If you consider how many of the 10 codes FDs use, they are pretty simple to remember.
    The opinions expressed are my own and not to be confused as my company's or department's.

Forum Member

Our FD's have never used 10 codes. But our PD's all use them. I personally like them (the few we use) and according to the DHS they are staying. Just don't use them when dealing with mutual aid.

Forum Member

I'm crazy about ten codes.

Locally, there was a recent uproar about the use of the ten codes and how we, as a county, should go to 'plain talk'.
    After a brief trial period of plain talk, it was decided against. It's a good thing too. I wish you could have heard some of the radio transmissions. Standardizing the plain talk was quite the hassle.
    To me, ten codes are concise and more professional.
    That being said, it was also agreed that all of the departments, local PD included, should be capable of going to plain talk should a multi-jurisdictional event occur.

Forum Member

we do not use them ...never have. We do have a couple of codes for sensitive things......dont need them in my opinon.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We use ten codes here.There have been some talk of doing away with them but our supervisor refuses to give them up. IMHO I think they save on some confusion and air time. Ofcourse we have some departments in the area that use "plain talk" just to be different. I don't mind it at all. Like Werju1 we have some signals we use also. They were implemented for sensitive issues like suicides. Sig 90g for suicide by gun, 90s for self inflicted stab wound and 90 h for hanging. Sig 80 for overdoses. They done this for respect of families. But my problem with it is that everyone in "scanner land" knows what these codes are so whats the point.

Be safe!
    Auk

Forum Member

Let the government use ten codes, plain English please! The use of ten codes gets to be crazy!

Comm Center to Unit 971, respond to 222 S. 2nd st for a 1074, involving a 1088 who is 1079 with a possible 1067. Both subjects are 1072 and 1063!Also report of a possible 1070 in the area with a code 4?

Oh my god, please lets just make it simple! I woudl rather listen to Chinese

Forum Member

We use them and don't... like most places, we have our own codes. for example here are some codes we use and DONT

(we are EMS, we operate on same frequency as our police, we work with them closely)

Received - You received the message/order
    Affirmative - used instead of 10-4 because we have zone cars 201,202,203, etc... prnounced TWO OHH ONE - TWO OHH TWO - so if you say TEN FOUR - zone 204 may think your calling him, happens a lot since we still say 10-4 sometiomes
    Signal 87 - call someone
    Signal 57 - accident
    Signal 11 - working fire

Etc... we don't use 10 codes really. Ive heard dispatch say "whats your 20" maybe once, we use plain text but in a set procedure, RECEIVED, ENROUTE, AFFIRMATIVE, NEGATIVE, ON SCENE - we don't say "yeah im here" or "im on my way" - granted they will say those occasionaly also, not set in stone, but kinda standards we're taught and as we go along, we modify a few things.

A typical call is like this:

EMS1 respond over to 123 Somewhere Lane on a 57 with injuries.

Okay simple, EMS1 is our ambulance, respond to the address, and a 57 is an accident. The only other time we'd get a code is:

EMS1 respond over to 123 Somewhere Lane for a standby on a signal 11.
    A singnal 11 is a working fire. Otherwise it's

EMS1 respond over to 123 Somewhere Lane. We have an elderly female who is having diffulty breathing. We'll say what the call is. No need to cover it up and confuse people.
    Last edited by Adam07003; 10-31-2005 at 11:15 AM.
    Adam, EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

The only ones who use 10 codes in my county are the police. The FD and EMS use plain language. The next county over use 10 codes for both fire/ems and police.

Forum Member

Here's one that will cause one to remove their hair.....

In the county where I'm employed we used to use '10 Codes' -- Over the last 4-5 years the 10 codes were phased out and plain language became the norm. Several reasons were sited. Our County has 21 Fire Companies some with sub-stations numbered 2 through 32. Last fall Station 7,8,9, {One Company with three stations} announced a fourth station to be opened which would be Station 10. Each Station numbering system for apparatus is as follows....

Station Number followed by a 1 2 3 or 4 is an engine {IE Station 11's Engines would be 11-1, 11-2, 11-3, and 11-4} and Station Chief Officers identifiers are the station number follwed by an 8. {IE Station 17's Chief is identified 17-8} All Station Fire Police are "9" Units {IE Station 14 Fire Police would be 14-9}

Confused yet ???? Well utilizing the 10 codes we commonly used the following:

10-1...Under Control
    10-2...On Scene
    10-4...Received
    10-8...Responding
    10-10...Motor Vehicle Crash
    10-11...2nd Emergency in the District

There were others.....Now with the opening of this Proposed Station 10 and our fantastic numbering system could you imagine ??

"......10-8 is 10-8 for the 10-10. 10-4 10-8 @ 10:00hrs....."
    "......10-2 10-8.....10-4 10-2 @10:01...."
    "......10-8 10-2 with a confirmed 10-10 when 10-2 goes 10-2 have their EMTs come foward....." 10-4 10-8
    "....10-1 10-8 on the 10-10..........10-4 10-1 10-2 and 10-8 are 10-2 and we now are receiving a 10-11 can you handle?..." 10-4 10-8.......10-4 10-1.

"....Fire Board to 10-8.......10-8 go ahead......just to advise 10-1 is 10-8 on 10-11 additional 10-10 with a possible 10-91 {fatality} .....10-4 10-8 10-2 10-8 momentarily 10-2 handling original 10-10.........Uhhhhhh 10-4 ?

"......Negiative...10-4 not on the air.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmfireproof
    I'm crazy about ten codes.

Locally, there was a recent uproar about the use of the ten codes and how we, as a county, should go to 'plain talk'.
    After a brief trial period of plain talk, it was decided against. It's a good thing too. I wish you could have heard some of the radio transmissions. Standardizing the plain talk was quite the hassle.
    To me, ten codes are concise and more professional.
    That being said, it was also agreed that all of the departments, local PD included, should be capable of going to plain talk should a multi-jurisdictional event occur.
    Ok, so the plan is to maintain the status quo because no one wanted to take the time to teach their staff how to be more concise in their plain language communications. However, when the chips are down and you need to work with other agencies, you will go ahead and use plain language which will be "quite the hassle" when you need it the least. Am I the only one that sees a problem here?

We abandoned our "codes" a few years ago now and it has worked out quite nicely. You can be just as concise and professional using plain language if you are committed to learning how to talk on the radio. If everyone can learn a "second language" using codes, certainly they can be trained to speak clearly and concisely using plain language in their native tongue.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

We didn't use them, then we used them, now we don't.

Went from: "We're on our way to the fire"

to: "4205, 10-7"

and now: "Engine 4205 responding to the fire call" or "Engine 4205 enroute to the fire call" or "Engine 4205 in service to the fire call".

Here's another of my favorites.

Was: "Done, going home"

to: "4205, 10-10, 10-8"

and now: "4205 is back at the station and out of service".

You tell me which clutters up the radio more.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

YEA... USED TO BE SIMPLE...THEN YOU GOT 10-CODES FOR "BREVITY AND SECURITY" AND THEN EVERYONE GOT A COPY OF THE CODES AND SO IT WASN'T SO SECURE SO THEY NIXED ON THAT AND WENT TO FREE SPEAK BECAUSE ITS EASIER TO UNDERSTAND WHICH BASICALLY MEANS THEY SAID ....

"TALK LIKE YOU'RE IN SECOND GRADE"

J.E. Guzman
    NC EMT-Intermediate
    NC Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Medical Dispatcher
    NENA Emergency Telecommunicator

Forum Member

Default Nassau County

In Nassau County, NY where I live, we use "signal" numbers to indicate status on the radio and the need for additional help, coupled with limited "plain speech", with guidelines specifically set by FireCom (fire communications - our dispatchers)

Example: Where 262 is the responding ambulance: It will come over our pagers as:

**Wake-up tones**
    **Department Tones**
    **Nassau County FireCom for Mineola Ambulance respond to a (type of call) at (call location) **
    **operator number : time stamp**
    **10 second pause**
    **Department Tones**
    **Nassau County FireCom for Mineola Ambulance respond to a (type of call) at (call location) **
    **operator number : time stamp**

then, when the ambulance has crew and driver and is ready to roll, they with respond with "262 is 21, and give code 1 or 2, depending on whether the crew is ALS or BLS", then, when the unit arrives, we give a "22", etc.

It sounds complicated, but you get used to it -- it clarifies things.

Forum Member

Heres a link to a site with the FDNY 10 Codes.

http://www.thebravest.com/fdny/fdny10codes%5B1%5D.html

Forum Member

In all honesty I thought 10 codes disappeared with transistor radios accept for the occasional joke, and I don’t under stand the problem of “Standardizing the plain talk”(we are all using English right), diez-quarto.

Thread Information