Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Default Medical Screening

Bugsy, or anyone who has been through medical... I believe they are using the Gerkin Protocol for the aerobic fitness test as part of the medical. Can you tell me how they would pass/failed you for that portion? What if your heart rate maxes out before the 12 minutes? Is the 12 min just an ideal limit they want? How did you do? Any info you can provide would be a great help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlKalineTrio View Post
    what ever happened to ashtray? maybe ashtray is back from the dead and flexit is his new sn, and unitedwestand can we get a rough Estimate of how much running you do in the academy and # of push-ups.
    I've stayed away because of all the crap being talked on here...but to answer you questions: We do ALOT of cardio, and pushups all the time. We don't necessarily run every day - although we run alot, it's all cardio. Doing the the up and overs, doing up and overs until you loose count of how many you've done, until you get to the bottom, throw up and keep going. Yesterday's PT consisded of:

Up & Over, pushups (until every one was off the stairs)
    Up & over, Pushups (until every one was off the stairs)
    Up & over, Mountain Climbers (until every one was off the stairs)
    Up & Over, Mountin Climbets (until every one was off the stairs)
    Up & Over, pushups (until every one was off the stairs)
    Then we ran 4.5 miles
    Then we did sprints on the Roosevelt bridge. Sprint one way jog back.
    Did that for a half an hour - which accounted to abour 2, 2.5 miles.
    Then on the last 5 sprints, before we jogged back 50 pushups each time, ended up doing about 300 pushups...

Work out!! RUN, and do pushups!! Best advice I can give you. Oh and BE EARLY. If they tell you 8am, be there at 6am.

Forum Member

Is the running a double time run or are you jogging? People tell me it's a double time run.

Forum Member

that's perfect i run marathons once a month. so ill wave when i pass you guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flexit19 View Post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sosubff View Post
    Bugsy, or anyone who has been through medical... I believe they are using the Gerkin Protocol for the aerobic fitness test as part of the medical. Can you tell me how they would pass/failed you for that portion? What if your heart rate maxes out before the 12 minutes? Is the 12 min just an ideal limit they want? How did you do? Any info you can provide would be a great help.
    I don't know what the name of the test is or what there looking for in the heart rate. All I remember is I started out walking and at the end I was sprinting. The girl at the hospital wanted my to try to stay on for up to 20 min. She was having a hard time getting my heart rate up and after about 5 min sprinting uphill my calves cramped up and she ended the test at around 11 min. Guys have posted that they did something like a power walk to others running. I never saw my results, all I know is I passed. You'll fail the test if something abnormal shows up on the EKG. But don't worry you'll have a chance to go to your doctor for further testing and if he says your OK bring the results back to medical so they can clear you medically.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sosubff View Post
    sosubff-

the test they use is the BRUCE protocol. speed and incline increase every three minutes. start out at 1.7mph/10% incline, at 3 minutes goes to 2.5/12%, at 6 minutes goes to 3.4/14%, at 9 minutes goes to 4.2/16%, at 12 minutes goes to 5.0/18% incline. i think the worst part is wearing the leads, and having them try to take your blood pressure every three minutes. they made me hold on to the grab rail in front for the entire test (made it even easier). they will take an ekg before the test, and take another reading as you are in recovery.

on a side note...i know of people failing the stress test. it is where "70% of cfd medical failures happen." something as simple as...a lead stuck on the wrong part of your chest...can give you an abnormal ekg...and fail you.

sosubff- are you heading down on saturday?? what range is your number in??

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone going this Sat.!
    Wish I was one of them but unfortunately I can't get any info at all on where my file sits. Good times. Hope I don't get to watch another class go by.

Forum Member

Default Clarification

Just clarifying, people going down Saturday are scheduling their medical correct? I think my files is still pending because of my driving record....damn speeding ticket! Looks like i might watch another class go by, I'm OK with that. I waited 20 years, whats a few more months....

Congrats to those going down Saturday!

Forum Member

First of all - who the **** is this *** clown? And second - it's double time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    First of all - who the **** is this *** clown? And second - it's double time
    Thank you....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSL8R View Post
    Good luck to everyone going this Sat.!
    Wish I was one of them but unfortunately I can't get any info at all on where my file sits. Good times. Hope I don't get to watch another class go by.
    FFSL8R-
    What is your number range? I am 350-400. Waiting for medical. Did you get a call to come down on Saturday yet?
    Let me know if you do.
    Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireballer View Post
    FFSL8R-
    What is your number range? I am 350-400. Waiting for medical. Did you get a call to come down on Saturday yet?
    Let me know if you do.
    Thanks.
    I'm waiting for my medical also and didn't get a call. I'm in the 450-500 range. I was told a long while back that my BI was done so I don't think anything is holding me up. Hopefully next weekend...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical agility test

I got my letter today for the physical agility test. I have to go down Oct. 15th

Forum Member

I got my letter for the PAT also, I have to go on OCT 14TH at 0800.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I got my letter today for the Physical Abilities Test. Have to report to the fire academy Oct. 17th at 8:00am

Forum Member

me too guys ill see you there. ill be the guy kicking your as***S in the physical. most of you guys got dam beer bellies and a solid seat on the couch. watch me ill be the only one laughing at you guys. what a joke. out of shape office workers who are 30 years old.hahahahahahahaha laughing my way to my badge

Forum Member

me too guys ill see you there. ill be the guy kicking your as***S in the physical. most of you guys got dam beer bellies and a solid seat on the couch. watch me ill be the only one laughing at you guys. what a joke. out of shape office workers who are 30 years old.hahahahahahahaha laughing my way to my badge
    You're my Hero!!!! I hope I can be 1/2 the man you are!

Forum Member

First off, crap like yourself doesn't deserve to wear a badge of any kind. Not even a security guard badge. Second, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind my 30 year old *** would and god forbid, will run circles around your arrogant ***. I truly hope I never see you in a uniform. Good luck with growing up if you ever achieve that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireballer View Post
    FFSL8R-
    Let me know if you do.
    Thanks.
    Low 200's. My BI was done mid May. Still waiting on the medical.

Forum Member

Default 9/20 medical sign-up

for you guys that went do to medical today:

-how many of you were down there?
    -what days are the medicals (next week, october, etc)?
    -did they mention if they are having more guys down next saturday?
    -did you get the CONDITIONAL offer letters?

and the question with NO answer.....
    -did they tell you when the next class starts??
    -or at least hint to a "fall academy"?

congratulations...and good luck with your medicals.

on a side note...i've heard november 3rd start from two different sources (both "reliable" rumors/sources).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    for you guys that went do to medical today:

-how many of you were down there?
    -what days are the medicals (next week, october, etc)?
    -did they mention if they are having more guys down next saturday?
    -did you get the CONDITIONAL offer letters?

and the question with NO answer.....
    -did they tell you when the next class starts??
    -or at least hint to a "fall academy"?

congratulations...and good luck with your medicals.

on a side note...i've heard november 3rd start from two different sources (both "reliable" rumors/sources).
    There were about 25 people down there, but I am not sure if there will be more people called down next week. They were very quiet about everything. No talk of a next class. Conditional letters were also given out. Medicals are all next week, I think from Tues to Friday. They did not say anything about the next academy. I wish I knew more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    sosubff-

the test they use is the BRUCE protocol. speed and incline increase every three minutes. start out at 1.7mph/10% incline, at 3 minutes goes to 2.5/12%, at 6 minutes goes to 3.4/14%, at 9 minutes goes to 4.2/16%, at 12 minutes goes to 5.0/18% incline. i think the worst part is wearing the leads, and having them try to take your blood pressure every three minutes. they made me hold on to the grab rail in front for the entire test (made it even easier). they will take an ekg before the test, and take another reading as you are in recovery.

on a side note...i know of people failing the stress test. it is where "70% of cfd medical failures happen." something as simple as...a lead stuck on the wrong part of your chest...can give you an abnormal ekg...and fail you.

sosubff- are you heading down on saturday?? what range is your number in??
    sorry for the delay. I'm not going to medical yet, I'm in the second group that just got called for PAT in Oct. I was just looking for some guidance from you brothers who already went thru medical so I know how to prepare the best in my physical training.. sorry for any confusion... i'm 600-650.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    There were about 25 people down there, but I am not sure if there will be more people called down next week. They were very quiet about everything. No talk of a next class. Conditional letters were also given out. Medicals are all next week, I think from Tues to Friday. They did not say anything about the next academy. I wish I knew more.

thank you for the update, and good luck with your medical.

Just curious as to what numbers they are processing currently. im around 3600, just wondering how far into the list they are.

Thread Information