Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

hey guys. passed my medical with flying colors. they were a little concerned about the amazing definition in my delts and upper back though fearing that i might need custom turnout gear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nboyce45 View Post
    Just curious as to what numbers they are processing currently. im around 3600, just wondering how far into the list they are.
    There roughly up to #850.

Forum Member

Did anyone get a PAT letter for their test before Oct 14 or 15th?

Forum Member

they are way higher than 850 cuz half of you fatties can't pass this crap. i see you guys coming off the bruce treadmill test huffing and puffing like the fat kid running a mile in gym class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tower4 View Post
    Did anyone get a PAT letter for their test before Oct 14 or 15th?
    Yes, I have to go down Oct 10th for my PAT

Forum Member

United or anyone else in the current academy,
    Still get the perception that there will not be another academy til next year. As always any info is appreciated.

Forum Member

the sources that told me november 3rd...are now saying february 2nd, 2009 for the next class.

Forum Member

Official: no more classes this year.

Forum Member

Default Physical Test

First of all congrats to everyone who has made it this far. I recieved my letter for the PAT, my date is Oct 10th at 9:00am. Does anyone know if the different test dates have anything to do with our numbers? Also does anyone know the range of dates... I believe the latest I saw was Oct 17th.

Any chance of switching dates, or is that a stupid question?

Thanks
    Last edited by yoe400800; 09-24-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Member

I am just throwing this out there..... Why would the city call people down to schedule medicals and why would they send more cards out if they weren't going to have another class this year? ya, I know what half of you are going to say, well it's Chicago right? But think about it??? Last, why would they tell people that they are going to have a class in xyz month and have xyz amount of people. They know that if they tell someone they will go and tell their friends. Does anyone else think this is all a bit stupid to call people down 5 months before, if it were to be in Feb?
    Just throwing it out there. Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irish2847 View Post
    I am just throwing this out there..... Why would the city call people down to schedule medicals and why would they send more cards out if they weren't going to have another class this year? ya, I know what half of you are going to say, well it's Chicago right? But think about it??? Last, why would they tell people that they are going to have a class in xyz month and have xyz amount of people. They know that if they tell someone they will go and tell their friends. Does anyone else think this is all a bit stupid to call people down 5 months before, if it were to be in Feb?
    Just throwing it out there. Good luck to everyone!
    I agree!!!!

Forum Member

I am just throwing this out there..... Why would the city call people down to schedule medicals... Does anyone else think this is all a bit stupid to call people down 5 months before, if it were to be in Feb?
    this is the one thing that makes me think, nov 2nd is still possible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    this is the one thing that makes me think, nov 2nd is still possible.
    I'm just confirming what others have posted recently, I found out last night that the CFD will hold off on any new hires for as long as they can even though people have medicals this week and PAT are scheduled in Oct. The earliest the next class would be January or February. I hate to say it but we'll probably be sitting a while. My info came from a very reliable source. At least we should have no excuses about not being in shape.

I was also told that they are failing a lot of people on the medical due to a high number of disability claims on the CFD. Any medical problems you tell them about will almost fail you, but you will have a chance to see your doctor and have him OK you. If you had surgery on a knee, foot, ect. they want the O.R. report and therapy records so when you claim your knee hurts two years from now they'll be able to fight you. I'm not trying to scare any of you but this is what was told to me and this happened to me.
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 09-25-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    Official: no more classes this year.
    Thanks for the update.

Forum Member

Default Pay Scale

Does anyone know what the pay scale for the fire department and where you can find it on the Chicago website.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tower4 View Post
    Does anyone know what the pay scale for the fire department and where you can find it on the Chicago website.

Thanks.
    Here's the link:

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...nPayPlan_1.pdf

Forum Member

Shot in the dark... Does anyone know if it's possible to switch PAT test dates?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yoe400800 View Post
    Shot in the dark... Does anyone know if it's possible to switch PAT test dates?
    very much doubt it...but you can always call ms. ghant, in personnel, and ask. 312-746-6902 x151.

good luck!

Forum Member

I doubt it. Think of how many people are behind you?? Do you think they care if you have work etc.....?

As for the latest gossip. It's like a kick in the face!! I will still hold out hope that maybe something else will happen. Again, I just don't see the f'n point calling people to take an agility or a medical if nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Yes, I know it's Chicago they can do what they want. I just find it funny how we can't rebuild a fountain and build a new park but we can service the city with enough police and FF's!! ah, just venting a little frustration.
    Hey nobody really knew when the next group was getting there agility test letters. Stay positive everyone!! IT WILL HAPPEN. Good luck!!

Forum Member

I doubt it. Think of how many people are behind you?? Do you think they care if you have work etc.....?

As for the latest gossip. It's like a kick in the face!! I will still hold out hope that maybe something else will happen. Again, I just don't see the f'n point calling people to take an agility or a medical if nothing is going to happen anytime soon. Yes, I know it's Chicago they can do what they want. I just find it funny how we can't rebuild a fountain and build a new park but we can service the city with enough police and FF's!! ah, just venting a little frustration.
    Hey nobody really knew when the next group was getting there agility test letters. Stay positive everyone!! IT WILL HAPPEN. Good luck!!
    Just some food for thought, I heard that Comish Brooks got called downtown to explain all of the overtime that is being used across the ranks. If they think overtime is bad now just wait until Feb when the class from 1980 is eligible for full pension. That puzzles me, why wouldn't you want to get some people in the academy to alleviate some of the OT????

My .02.......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aircrew777 View Post
    Just some food for thought, I heard that Comish Brooks got called downtown to explain all of the overtime that is being used across the ranks. If they think overtime is bad now just wait until Feb when the class from 1980 is eligible for full pension. That puzzles me, why wouldn't you want to get some people in the academy to alleviate some of the OT????

My .02.......
    A friend of mine has work one Daley day a month for the past six months. He likes it since it's double time and he's @ step 5. I would think it would be cheaper to the guy in step 1 than pay double time for someone in step 5. Or maybe since I'm sitting at home and not on the job I feel that way.
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 09-25-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Member

It's cheaper to pay a person overtime then it is to pay a new person their wage + benefits etc... we all know it sucks but that is the truth. I don't know about the step 5 ?
    Just because they are eligable (spelling) doesn't mean they have to retire. Some people will stay on because they are not close enough to the age to get medicare. It is to expensive to pay out of pocket for insurance as some of you may already know. We will just have to see what happens. Correct me if I am wrong but the contract is up an more then likely the city is just trying to stick it to the union. Anyone know more about this..??

I can't point out enough how strange it is to keep pushing people through processing to just let them sit idle.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    very much doubt it...but you can always call ms. ghant, in personnel, and ask. 312-746-6902 x151.

good luck!
    Got it changed. Thank you for the info.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yoe400800 View Post
    Got it changed. Thank you for the info.
    any chance they decided to tell you when the next class would start??

Forum Member

Out of an Instructor's mouth today: Next class not 'til Jan/Feb and it will be of about 110 candidates

Thread Information