Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    Out of an Instructor's mouth today: Next class not 'til Jan/Feb and it will be of about 110 candidates
    Thanks for all your updating. It's appreciated.

Forum Member

Instructors at the police academy have been told there will be no new hires for the rest of the year also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigern79 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Default Thanks United

Out of an Instructor's mouth today: Next class not 'til Jan/Feb and it will be of about 110 candidates
    You're the best United. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    You're the best United. Thanks for the info and keep up the good work.
    Just trying to help. I remember what it was like when I was waiting, hoping someone in the class would jump on here and let us know what was going on... We had our EMT final yesterday, so yesterday was pretty much our last academic day at FAS. We go donw the street to the Quinn on Wednesday...which is awesome. I know we're all burned out with the EMT studying..so the Quinn will be a nice change. We've been told that it gets much tougher; physically, trying to make a name for yourself, 2 PT sessions a day...but it's worth it right?! Not sure how much more info will be given out while we're over at the Quinn...but whatever I hear i will pass along. Good luck to you waiting, try not to get discouraged.

Forum Member

Hello, I know tons of people ask this question. But I was just curious if I have a shot to get hired and if so in what timeframe? My number is in the low 1400's thanks for your time have a good one.

Forum Member

Are any of the people in the academy or on stand by from the garfield/clearing area?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aircrew777 View Post
    Are any of the people in the academy or on stand by from the garfield/clearing area?
    yes....on stand by..."should be in the next class."

you can send me a pm if you like.

Forum Member

Talking Further Processing this Saturday

Guess what everyone...just got a call to go down for further processing this Saturday!? Makes you think there could still be a class this year.

Forum Member

Default Saturday

Received a call to report to 1338 S. Clinton on Saturday, Oct. 4 for further processing. She said be there at 7:45, I plan on sleeping in the Dominicks parking lot. Hope we all get the call!

Forum Member

Guess what everyone...just got a call to go down for further processing this Saturday!? Makes you think there could still be a class this year.
    I hope you are right. What range is your number? Good Luck this saturday guys
    Last edited by tmpc2007; 09-29-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Forum Member

Default Processing on 10/4

I was called to go down too. Number range=mid 400. Last name=W

Forum Member

I was worried they were going to stop processing guys for the medical until Dec. or Jan. This is good news. My money is still on a Jan. or Feb. 2009 class though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Hello, I know tons of people ask this question. But I was just curious if I have a shot to get hired and if so in what timeframe? My number is in the low 1400's thanks for your time have a good one.
    By the way things are going now I would say it would be a wait. I couldn't even guess a time frame. Good luck, your time will come.

Forum Member

well....at least they are keeping it interesting!

good luck to you guys called down for this saturday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    I hope you are right. What range is your number? Good Luck this saturday guys
    Range 450-500. I know its wishful thinking but they could finish medicals next week, get results the week after, and still have 2 weeks until a Nov. 3rd class. I wouldn't bet on it though.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medical

did any one hear about results from our medical exam from last week?

anyone from the past groups ever get results from the medical before you started? united?

Forum Member

Default Chicago Sun-Times

September 30, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter fspielman@suntimes.com
    Mayor Daley will eliminate 3,000 vacant positions and lay off 1,000 city employees -- 735 of them union members -- to solve Chicago's worst budget crisis in a generation, union leaders were told Monday.

The biggest hit will be felt by Laborers Union Local 1001, whose members are in line for 300 pink slips in the Streets and Sanitation Department.

Click to enlarge image

Mayor Daley (inset) says there will be city worker layoffs with the Streets and Sanitation Department to be hardest hit.
    (Sun-Times files)

That's likely to mean major changes in garbage collection, tree trimming and other housekeeping services. Possibilities range from lengthening the time between pickups -- once-a-week now in most neighborhoods, twice-a-week in congested areas -- to privatizing recycling and shrinking crew sizes.

"They put an average of 350 trucks out-a-day. To cut 300 bodies -- they're probably gonna go to every other week pickup. That's probably the only way they can do it. Either that, or every 10 days," said Lou Phillips, business manager of Laborers Local 1001.

"You're gonna have to look at your garbage an extra three or four days -- and I don't know when they'll be able to get to your bulk. It's gonna create a rodent problem. You might even see a difference in the Loop area, as clean as the Loop is. That's the showcase."

A top mayoral aide, who asked to remain anonymous, insisted that weekly pickups would be maintained. That likely means greater use of crews with one laborer on a truck, instead of two.

To help plug the budget gap, Local 1001 has also been lobbying for a $10 monthly garbage collection fee and for the right to make city pickups at small businesses in exchange for a fee. It was not known whether Daley would propose the garbage fee, which some aldermen view as a backdoor property tax increase.

The 1,000 layoffs are expected to save $100 million. They represent the biggest purge of Daley's nearly 20-year reign. Roughly 265 of those fired are expected to be middle-managers.

The 3,000 vacancies to be eliminated include: 329 sworn Chicago Police officers; 424 non-sworn police employees; 12 sworn firefighters, and 10 non-sworn fire employees.

Last month, Chief Financial Officer Paul Volpe pointedly refused to rule out police and fire layoffs -- even as homicides and other violent crime continue to rise -- to close a $420 million budget gap over this year and next. But police officers and firefighters are not among those targeted for layoffs.

Meanwhile, all but six of Chicago's 50 aldermen plan to accept a 6.2 percent cost-of-living increase that will boost their annual salaries to $110,556 Jan. 1.

Aldermen John Pope (10th); James Balcer (11th); Scott Waguespack (32nd); Tom Tunney (44th); Helen Shiller (46th), and Mary Ann Smith (48th) are the only aldermen to sign affidavits by a Sept. 15 deadline declaring their intention to forfeit the increase.

Forty-four aldermen declined to sign the affidavit from Budget Director Bennett Johnson, in part, because of the effect it would have on their pensions. Some were offended that Johnson even asked.

"I need to see more from the departments. I need to see more from the administration. I'm looking at new cars and other luxuries that people have. We need to get rid of those luxuries . . . before we balance the budget on the backs of working people -- including the two-[ticket] boot rule as well as the aldermen," said Ald. Leslie Hairston (5th).

The mayor is scheduled to unveil his proposed 2009 budget on Oct. 15.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman22 View Post
    did any one hear about results from our medical exam from last week?

anyone from the past groups ever get results from the medical before you started? united?
    I took the medical last week and have not heard anything. I am not sure if that is a good or bad sign?

Forum Member

Default medical

there are a few different things that happened with the "may medicals."

1-some people that had "minor problems," were sent letters saying they need to get XXX checked out, or get on XXX medication, etc, and have doctors proof/letter turned into medical by june 9th. these guys...if they did what was asked were still able to get into the july 1st class.

2-people that passed the medical no problems...received letters on 6/10 saying "congratulations...final processing on 6/14, you start the academy on 7/1."

3-this is the group you do not want to be in. this group received letters on 6/12 saying "due to the results of you medical, you are no longer being considered for employment (remember...you're expecting the 7/1 start letter everybody else is getting). if you want any information regarding the results of your medical...send a letter etc." you then wait for weeks, thinking you have cancer and are going to die, only to find out you need to show proof that something minor...isnt a problem, and would not hinder your ability of being a Chicago Firefighter. not sure how they decide who goes into group 1 vs. group 3...but from what i've heard, group three seems to be the "30 and over crowd." being in this group is not the end of the world...just the end of any chance getting into the next academy class.

from what i've heard, they know within two weeks if you're clear or not. not sure if you would call medical section or ms. ghant to find out.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=233wacker;993493]there are a few different things that happened with the "may medicals."

Thanks for the info Wacker. Did they send a letter saying you passed medical? Also, if they found something how long did it take for them to notify you after taking the medical? Couple weeks? Month? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    Did they send a letter saying you passed medical? Also, if they found something how long did it take for them to notify you after taking the medical? Couple weeks? Month? Thanks
    they dont send anything to you unless you have a problem. if its something that you can get checked out, and still make it into the class... you should hear something within 2-3 weeks of taking your medical.

Forum Member

in my earlier post...i'm not saying the CFD puts you into different groups. all i was saying is... i saw three different outcomes.

Forum Member

Okay, so I post what i hear and know.... The Drill Instructor told us today that he would be there for the next class of December 1st. So take that how you will....

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Okay, so I post what i hear and know.... The Drill Instructor told us today that he would be there for the next class of December 1st. So take that how you will....
    That would make sense since they are still calling us in for medicals. Thanks for all the updates.

Thread Information