Like Tree289Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

If they refund it.... I want my money back for the test... and flight and hotel

Forum Member

If this is true I may not even retest, as much as I want to be a firefighter in Chicago, there is no way I would want to work with people who couldn't pass that test. This isn't just some brainless job that a monkey could do, if you make a mistake it could cause injuries or even death to others...Guess I'll just stick to testing in the burbs instead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    If they refund it.... I want my money back for the test... and flight and hotel
    Don't forget the $16 parking if you drove to the test.

Forum Member

If there is one thing I know about the internet, it's that rumors spread crazy fast. So I wouldn't bank on heresay.

But, my curiosity was aroused and I crunched some numbers of the supposed scenario that Chicago1 has been presented with.

There was a total of 24,894 applicants according to the article in the SunTimes by City Hall Reporter Fran Spielman shortly after the test was administered.

Of the total:
    49% (12,198) were White
    51% (12,696) were Minorities (breakdown is below)

26% (6,472) were Black
    21% (5,228) were Hispanic
    2% (498) were Asian
    2% (498) were Other

Now, if in fact, 72% of the White applicants passed, that number = 8,782

And, if in fact, the percent of ALL minorities that passed is a dismal 12%, that number = 1,524.

Seems fishy. but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. But also be aware that the "% passed" are based on rumors.
    Last edited by jabuan; 09-21-2006 at 10:59 AM. Reason: incomplete

Forum Member

If nobody heard. It's official, 17,000 people passed the test.APPLICANTS WHO PASSED FIREFIGHTER EXAM

54 Percent white

21 Percent African-American

20 Percent Hispanic

3 Percent Asian and Native American

I got all of this from the Chicago Tribune.
    Last edited by beeballs; 09-26-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

I would guess we can start expecting results in the next month or so, hopefully they will tell us what number we were randomly selected so we will be able to make realistic estimates whether will we move on or not.

Forum Member

I actually just got my results today...it says my randomly assigned number
    Last edited by Outlet05; 09-26-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Forum Member

Default Letter

Got my letter in the mail today. Anybody else get there's. It says that I qualified and they assigned me a random number. There is 17,063 candidates left.

Forum Member

Default Test Results

Nice job for everyone that passed, now hopefully we'll all get hired soon. I'm still waiting for my mail, so I'm just a bit anxious.

Forum Member

sounds like everyone that passed are getting letters. so that's a good thing.

Forum Member

Dh just got the letter too - I wonder what's next

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomen
    Dh just got the letter too - I wonder what's next

Round 2 of the waiting game is next.

MembersZone Subscriber

A few questions for the guys that just recently got their letters. Are you located in the Chicago/Illinois area? I checked my mail today and havent received anything but I figure its because im in California, so it may be a few more days. Also did anyone receive a letter via email?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my letter with my number on it. Let's just say it's about halfway between 0 and 17,063. I got veteran's preference but it doesn't elaborate on how that's going to work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cservat
    A few questions for the guys that just recently got their letters. Are you located in the Chicago/Illinois area? I checked my mail today and havent received anything but I figure its because im in California, so it may be a few more days. Also did anyone receive a letter via email?

Yes that is most likely why you havent heard yet, I am about 25 miles west of chicago.

Forum Member

Red face

Im a Chicago resident................got my letter today......... I believe i've got a good random number,,,,, it is between 1 and 2000..........i've also got Veteran's prefence ,,,,,
    but i've heard that this random number is just for the next steps in the process...........
    i've also heard that once you have passed the next steps ,,, and have gotten on the eligibility list........
    there will be 2 seperate lotterys..... 1 for Veterans.... and 1 for the rest.........hope this can help a few people...........
    but then again.........that is just what i've "HEARD".
    Last edited by ArmyMPchick; 09-26-2006 at 05:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Chicago
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Forum Member

O.K. More for the rumor mill. A friend works for cfd in the office. he says that the random numbers were assigned to all that passed, but the city still does not know how they will use them. for example, they meay start at random #1 and work back, or start at random #1001... you get the point. Also, they may just select random #'s at "random". rest assured in chicago, your best bet is still to have clout. Anyhow, good luck to all, but remember, keep testing. there is noway all 17,000 passing candidates will get called in this lifetime.

Forum Member

I think I've heard about 5 different rumors in the last 10 hours about what is next, I swear some people just make this stuff up, so with that in mind, I'm not going to believe anything I hear unless it is from an official source.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    O.K. More for the rumor mill. A friend works for cfd in the office. he says that the random numbers were assigned to all that passed, but the city still does not know how they will use them. for example, they meay start at random #1 and work back, or start at random #1001... you get the point. Also, they may just select random #'s at "random". rest assured in chicago, your best bet is still to have clout. Anyhow, good luck to all, but remember, keep testing. there is noway all 17,000 passing candidates will get called in this lifetime.
    also received my letter today and also that thing about the 17,000 getting a call is not true im sure the physical agility, background investigation, and drug test will weed out some more people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlKalineTrio
    I live in Chicago but I had the results sent to my parents house which is also about 25 miles west of Chicago and I got my letter today. My random number is in the 4600's and my SS# ends in a 1. I am very curious to know what number other people are and what their SS# ends in.
    i'm in the 1600's and mine ends in a 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I got mine this evening in the mail. I applied for Veterans Preference but do not remember there being anything written down on the paper about it. I would imagine they would do some lottery system that would further assure there is no bias. I am not holding my breath, but I am interested in seeing how long it takes for Chicago to get to the next step.

Forum Member

mine ends with an 8, and i fall in the upper 1600's

Forum Member

I live in New Jersey and didn't get mine last night. Prob will get it today or tomorrow i think, maybe Friday. I'll let everyone know.

Thread Information