Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 114 of 554 FirstFirst ... 1464104111112113114115116117124164214 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    What exactly do they ask the old employers? Is it just a verification? Would it be possible to exclude some employers on the application?
    In the interest of honesty and forthrightness I would put everything. The job I'm having trouble with was a dinky part time job at a liquor store. I don't think I made a total of $5000.00 working there, but now it is holding up the works. However, I think it would be worse if they found out about it and it wasn't on my app. To be honest it sounded to me like she just wanted verification that I worked there for official purposes, not like a liquor store clerk prepares you for the FD. She said "they want verification", whoever "they" is. Anyway, I just tracked down the owner who is going to fax a notarized letter to my investigator tomorrow. Hopefully that will clear it up. Good Luck all.

Forum Member

I don't think so
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

I dont think they can really find out where you worked. It's a municipality with limited, or no access to federal documents. They can only call who you put on the application to verify. I dont think anyone here has been asked by an investigator about some old hamburger flippin job from high school
    When your time comes just be as honest as you can. You don't want to have to worry about them finding something you intentionally left out. If your honest your chances of making it through are great if your dishonest I would assume they will throw out your application.

Forum Member

I dont think they can really find out where you worked. It's a municipality with limited, or no access to federal documents. They can only call who you put on the application to verify. I dont think anyone here has been asked by an investigator about some old hamburger flippin job from high school
    Yeah, except me!!! But I've always been lucky.

Forum Member

Wouldn't it work this way?
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

What exactly do they ask the old employers? Is it just a verification? Would it be possible to exclude some employers on the application?
    My BI showed me the form that they send to your previous employers. The only required information that they are looking for is time of employment. There was a small survey on one of the sheets, one of those "strongly agree/strongly disagree" type surveys. I only saw it for a split second so I don't know what they ask. My BI did say it wasn't required to be filled out though, just the dates.

Forum Member

Default Employment

My current boss showed me the statement and actually filled it out while I sat there. It is about whether or not you can work without supervision, did you do things to further your education as it pertains to the job, etc. Then a spot for narrative if they so choose. Another of my employers didn't have a fax machine and my BI just called to verify dates.

My BI is done and was turned in last week friday. Haven't gotten a call to come down and schedule medical. Nothing going on memorial day weekend so maybe I will get something the week after. Waiting patiently.

any word on the date of the next academy class? I am hearing mid June and Mid July...anyone gotten an actual notice to start the academy?

Not to start a new string of gossip but a friend of mine told me that his ex-girlfriend was among the many women that failed the PAT and they are looking to file a petition to have the test results released because they thought they did well and were unfairly failed because they were women and bla bla bla.....looks like another lawsuit coming up chicago..hahah (actually that's not funny)

Forum Member

FYI: They (Chicago FD) will not pull you in for your medical exam until they are ready or are fairly close to hire you. The medical exams are only valid for a period of time, so they won't bring people in for medical unless they are ready to start them. It 1. costs alot of money to give an exam of that magnitute, upwards of 3K for a single person, and 2. like i said, they aren't valid forever. I am not trying to insinuate that if you haven't been called down for medical you won't be in the next academy, because we all know perfectly well that nobody, NOBODY has any idea of numbers, dates, or anything pertaining to that. All I am saying is that conditonal letters are necessary to give the test... As it seems numbers 1-3xx have been called down for medicals...So far 92 (or so) have been called down for medical exam dates. No matter what anyone tells you, you cannot go through the fire academy without having first gone through the EMS academy. The new contract states that any new member of CFD coming onto the Fire side must have, and maintain for the duratuion of their career, an EMT-B certification. You will not go through fire training without first obtaining your EMT-B. Also academies of 150 are things of the past...I believe 96 was the last highest number for a class size. So the theroy and rumor os a split class, xx in EMS and xx in Fire and then flip-flop cannot happen. I am not an expert, believe me, so you can take anything i write how you like...I am in the same boat as all of the rest. Here for information, and if and when i can provide it - I do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason96B View Post
    My BI is done and was turned in last week friday. Haven't gotten a call to come down and schedule medical. Nothing going on memorial day weekend so maybe I will get something the week after. Waiting patiently.
    I asked personnel the status of my file because I was told that my BI was done almost 2 weeks ago and I hadn't heard a response. I was told that they are trying to get the low numbers in for the medicals first and that I might be called down in about a month or so, but it didn't sound like a very definite answer. Just got to keep waitin' I guess...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigern79 View Post
    I asked personnel the status of my file because I was told that my BI was done almost 2 weeks ago and I hadn't heard a response. I was told that they are trying to get the low numbers in for the medicals first and that I might be called down in about a month or so, but it didn't sound like a very definite answer. Just got to keep waitin' I guess...
    I was told the same thing. They also stated they WERE calling people down as soon as the BI was finished, but NOW they are calling people down by numbers, trying to get the lower numbers down first. This is why some of you guys with high numbers were called down on the first saturday. My BI has been finished for over two weeks and I have not been called down. My number is in the low 300's
    Last edited by tmpc2007; 05-21-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    FYI: I am in the same boat as all of the rest. Here for information, and if and when i can provide it - I do.
    And it is appreciated. This place is really the only outlet for information on what may (hopefully) be the job I have for the rest of my life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    FYI: They (Chicago FD) will not pull you in for your medical exam until they are ready or are fairly close to hire you. The medical exams are only valid for a period of time, so they won't bring people in for medical unless they are ready to start them. It 1. costs alot of money to give an exam of that magnitute, upwards of 3K for a single person, and 2. like i said, they aren't valid forever.
    Crossovers took their medicals in early January and they just started this week, so we at least know they are good for at least 6 months, probably one year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Crossovers took their medicals in early January and they just started this week, so we at least know they are good for at least 6 months, probably one year.
    That is a great point. Can anyone whom has taken their medical recently describe what takes place? It seems there is some sort of discrepency between groups. Thanks for the info guys

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tmpc2007 View Post
    Can anyone whom has taken their medical recently describe what takes place? It seems there is some sort of discrepency between groups. Thanks for the info guys
    In the order of events for me (Before each thing assume you will have to wait at least 20 minutes):

1) Basic physical check up; blood pressure, hernia check (men), temperature, limb stability (push against the doctor, etc), ear and throat check, quick family medical history review.

2) Vision and Hearing Exam: Very simple, read a few lines of letters (with glasses or contacts if you wear them) and do the colorblind test (see the blue number in the green circle type of test). You will sit in a refridgerator looking box to do the hearing test. With headphones on you click a button when you hear beeps.

3) Urine and blood test: I had been at the site for a good hour before this happened. It was great, you know, in the way when you have to pee REEEAAAALLLLY bad but have to hold it. I clogged up their toilet just like I did CFD! They take two or three vials of blood then offer you juice and a snack.

3) X-rays: back, neck, lungs

4) Stress test: You will get hooked up to an ecocardiogram (sp), i.e, eight pads stuck to your chest to monitor your heart rate. NOTE: if you have any chest hair they may have to shave some off (I feel like Steve Carrell). I asked how long I had to stay on the treadmill, because CFD said "you have to stay on for ten minutes". The operator told me that they prefer you stay on for the full duration, which is 15 minutes. It's really not bad at all. You walk, slow to fast, the first 12 minutes and then jog the last few minutes. The "tough" part is that the incline is increased every 3 mintues or so. After you stop running they have you lie down for 5 minutes or so. It's really not bad at all. If you are in shape for the academy you should have no problem

5) Pulminary Exam: You have to blow into a tube. Make sure you form a good seal around the tube and blow as hard as you can from start to finish (maybe 12 seconds). Try it a few times whle you're reading this. It sounds pretty simple but it can be a challenge. Well before you get halfway done you feel like you're completely out of air, just keeping blowing. You need to do this at least three times so they can record three identical tests. It took me four. The nurse told me the guy before needed 17 tries.

That's it.

Good Luck,
    RyBaK
    Last edited by RyBaK477; 05-21-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Forum Member

Default Getting called for medical

If they are going by numbers then wouldn't 150 and above be doing their stuff for medical? Makes sense I guess. I am low 200's and I don't think I am going to make the cut off for this academy class (number wise) as I have not been called down for medical yet. (that is assuming there is a mid june class). I am close enough that I am ok with another month or even another couple months. I have a good job and am finishing school so I am in no rush (I say that only because I am so close..hahaha). Fact of the matter is, i've waited since I was 6 years old, what's a few more months?

In the medical, the incline increases every 3 minutes, how often does the speed increase? I am trying to program my treadmill to do that so I can train with a mock exam, lol. I built a mock up of the PAT tests events in my yard before the PAT and did PAT event sets as my workout twice a week to prepare...it worked very well except the neighbors weren't too thrilled with me running up and down the stairs every other morning!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyBaK477 View Post
    They take two or three vials of blood then offer you juice and a snack.
    You got offered juice and a snack!?! I was gypped!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoff2be View Post
    You got offered juice and a snack!?! I was gypped!
    Charm. It's all about the charm, my friend.

Default Crazy 2 years and waiting?!?

Just wanted to thank everyone for mostly great info concerning this ridiculus hiring process. Well lucky #9 eh. Pure luck for those of us with the right SSN. We r in the home stretch now for those of us with offers and medical screening done. Just a waiting game for now. I think its BS if u have an IL EMT or medic license to take EMT again. Personally Im a medic. We should skip those first 3 months for those of us who have already busted our *** to get our license. City is wasting money on that side. JC, what would happen if say a medic for some reason doesnt do well in EMT. In theory it should be very easy but it would be weird if u didnt do well. I mean, would they let u go. Think about, if u r a medic already. Anyway, just food for thought. Havent heard anything since my medical. RN told me it takes at least 5 days for blood work to come back. I'll keep u guys updated if I hear anything new.
    Good luck

Forum Member

Was called to report on Clinton Street this Sat @ 8:00.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Was called to report on Clinton Street this Sat @ 8:00.

Congrats! Be early, same rules apply, first there gets first dibs on their medical appointment preference.

RyBaK

Thread Information