Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 554 FirstFirst ... 2171111118119120121122123124131171221 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 11069
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Default A theory...

So, a lot of us have completed B.I.'s and medicals, have numbers under 400, but for some reason we were not called for this class. I wonder if they are looking at our ages and if we are over 30 or 33 maybe we are bumped? Speaking for myself, I am in the 300's and my BI was completed but I was not called for the medical. I am over 33 and I think that is what is going on. Please prove me other wise.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Good Luck

Good Luck to everyone starting the Academy tomorrow!

Forum Member

Default background check hiccups

great post below. I agree. I am a very low number, and due to some paperwork issues, I seem to have been passed over for yesterday's academy. Your post is what I have been told/heard. And is what I pray is the case.

to all the the future people going through the background investigation, take notes on EXACTLY what they say they want. This sounds simple, and many of you will balk at this claiming how easy the process is, but it seemed like every time I spoke with my Investigator, there was something I had missed.

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    I had a theory I put on another site that was roundly rejected, but I think has some merit. When I went down in April with the other 200 guys and gals, we were not taken in number order, nor were our application packets put in such an order. As I recall there were 6 or so milk crates alphabetically separated, and each packet was arranged in alphabetical order in each one. When our photos were taken, our SS# was used as our identifier, not our rank#. I don't believe then, that these 200 or so applications were then taken and placed in rank# order for the investigators to go through. I feel each investigator was given a random stack of folders to begin on, and the first 100 or 95 (or however many academy spots were alloted) completed made up the class. If you had any issues or hold-ups in your application (like mine) you were probably passed up this time around. The CFD Commander at the proceesing even said that if we run into a problem we just pass you over until it is squared away.

This would be in keeping with the entire "randomness" of this process, alleviating CFD of any charges of racism or sexism or favoritism. The best system. No. The worst system. No. With a number somewhere in the 400's I feel extremely lucky I am where I am in the process. Remember, guys from the 95 test waited a decade just to be told they were out of luck.

My only other observation would be that unless you have been told you are no longer eligible, YOU WILL BE A CHICAGO FIREMAN, it's just a matter of when. That's what I hold onto during this long process. I hope we all make it. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Default Too old?

Hey guys,
    I am in the 350 - 400 range, last name J - M range. I had my BI but that was it. No call for the medical. Did this happen to anyone else? Since I am hearing that guys in the 400's were called for this academy I wonder why I was passed over. I am also over 30. Any thoughts?

Forum Member

Unhappy House for sale in very nice Chicago Beverly area

Union carpenter/Hopeful future fireman has very nice all brick ranch for sale in great chicago nieghborhood. Bought with my dad right before the market took a dump. Fire sale - (no pun intended). down $30,000 from original. Everything new. 2 bed, 2 bath, 2 fireplaces, all new windows, double lot, oak floors, all new phone and cable, updated electric - 200 amp. full finished basement, new 30 year roof, glass blocks, new heating & air, don't make me go on or i'll have an aneurysm. This is a deal. Give me a call at 773-931-0293. You won't be dissapointed - pocket doors, all new plumbing and lighting fixtures, loads of storage space, attached garage, new cherry cabinets... i could cry.

Forum Member

Thanks trco2h, pretty quite last week but i think the hammer is comming monday :/

Forum Member

Default Also

We wanted to know why the last class hadn't been posting, it's because you eat sleep and breathe what is going on in class.....it's not because they think they're better than anyone. It's intense. Thanks for the well wishes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CLOVER440 View Post
    Thanks trco2h, pretty quite last week but i think the hammer is comming monday :/

Meet that Hammer with an Anvil!!!

Forum Member

[vvvvv bbb fffffffff
    Last edited by tmpc2007; 08-26-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Forum Member

Default my 2 cents

I finished my BI and have not been called for the medical yet. there was two hang-ups in my file. I had to sumbit two statements so I am pretty sure why I didn't make the cut off for this class. My number i sunder 250 and I am a vet. It's odd because when they do the background, all kinds of questions come up with military service....

I am curious to know, if you are disqualified for any reason...do they tell you? You get a letter explaining why or do you just never hear from them?

Forum Member

I do not think it is an age thing. I have met a 37 year old in the academy. Something in your processing must have been held up, and there were 76 candidates that were ready, so they went ahead.

I heard today that they will be in the coming months calling 1000 people for a PAT. Lots of people expected to retire in several months (can't remember why, something about 29 years and a day or something).

Forum Member

did any of you guys (processed on 4/5, with BI's finished) hear anything from personnel yet about medicals, or when they are going to call you in to sign up for the medical?

i figure if they want another class to start 10/1, they would need to get the remaining medicals started in the next few weeks.

Forum Member

Default Not Yet

Quote Originally Posted by 233wacker View Post
    did any of you guys (processed on 4/5, with BI's finished) hear anything from personnel yet about medicals, or when they are going to call you in to sign up for the medical?

i figure if they want another class to start 10/1, they would need to get the remaining medicals started in the next few weeks.

My BI is done and haven't heard anything about medical.. I wouldn't get my hopes up about a 10/1 academy. I think December/January is more realistic, judging from how the procees has been done for the last two acadamies. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    My BI is done and haven't heard anything about medical.. I wouldn't get my hopes up about a 10/1 academy. I think December/January is more realistic, judging from how the procees has been done for the last two acadamies. Good Luck.
    the only reason i was thinking 10/1, is that they called extra guys down on 4/5. it seems like people in the 350-490 range got letters for 4/5 a week or two later than the lower numbers. from what i heard (just rumors), is they added the extra numbers, thinking they would have another class ready to go right after this one (7/1), out of the 200 who were there on 4/5. it seems like there are a few people on this forum that were there on the 5th and are done with everything, but the medical.

"I wouldn't get my hopes up about......." that's funny in so many different ways.

anyway, i hope you guys get called down there soon. good luck and let us know when you hear something.

Forum Member

Week 2 over. We JUST started PT stuff today - wow. I would tell you what it's like, but i could never find the words...not possible. Brutal would be one of those words, absolutly brutal. We lost 2 guys today - they quit. I'll admit, when I got the academy spot i didn't think it would be as rough as it was today - or "Hell Week," next week (God knows what that's like) But today was rough. 15 minutes of all out full force insentive PT before lunch, directly after lunch - same thing. Then before we went home, 20 minutes worth of PT. I came home, took a shower and passed out. We aren't writing on here because we feel we're better than you, that's not the case at all....we literally don't have time to do anything except, eat, sleep and study. Good luck to you all waiting....i KNOW there is a class coming, IAD told us so...the rest of the guys who were processed that day (200) will be in the next class. Then they will pull 500 more in for a physical test. Hang in there, it's coming...just hope you're ready for it - it's definately far from easy. SIR! CANDIDATE FIREFIGHTER EMT XXXXXXXXXXXXXX SIR!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    Week 2 over. We JUST started PT stuff today - wow. I would tell you what it's like, but i could never find the words...not possible. Brutal would be one of those words, absolutly brutal. We lost 2 guys today - they quit. I'll admit, when I got the academy spot i didn't think it would be as rough as it was today - or "Hell Week," next week (God knows what that's like) But today was rough. 15 minutes of all out full force insentive PT before lunch, directly after lunch - same thing. Then before we went home, 20 minutes worth of PT. I came home, took a shower and passed out. We aren't writing on here because we feel we're better than you, that's not the case at all....we literally don't have time to do anything except, eat, sleep and study. Good luck to you all waiting....i KNOW there is a class coming, IAD told us so...the rest of the guys who were processed that day (200) will be in the next class. Then they will pull 500 more in for a physical test. Hang in there, it's coming...just hope you're ready for it - it's definately far from easy. SIR! CANDIDATE FIREFIGHTER EMT XXXXXXXXXXXXXX SIR!!
    Keep up the good work United! Don't let those guys get to you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
    Congrats on getting in, United! Any idea if your classmates were brought in by lottery number or when their medical was completed or some other random thing?

Thanks and congrats again,
    RyBaK

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyBaK477 View Post
    Congrats on getting in, United! Any idea if your classmates were brought in by lottery number or when their medical was completed or some other random thing?

Thanks and congrats again,
    RyBaK
    It seems like everyone is all over the board. I think the assumptions of how people were called to fill this academy are correct. I believe that the investigators were given a list of people based on how the files were stacked on the desk. IAD did tell us that the remaining people (the 200 from that day of processing) will be in the next academy, and then they are pulling a thousand in for physical. So who know when all that will be. All i know is my legs hurt, my brain hurts - and i still have more to read!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Word that I've been hearing on the street...

Keep going United, keep driving on! Remember quitting is a sign of weakness ;-)

I was in Chi over the 4th, visited a buddy of mine at Tower 10 and was bull****tin with some guys when I bought a T shirt from squad 1 on my way out of town... apparently, as I heard this from both stations, they're going to exhaust this list before they start another one.. and part of the reasoning behind that is apparently they're going through candidates like nothing else.. something to the extent of getting 70 people in an academy out of 300.. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in,you guys pry know more than I do. But being 12,XXX I'm not holding my breath, at least not for the fire side haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jourdan View Post
    ...apparently they're going through candidates like nothing else.. something to the extent of getting 70 people in an academy out of 300...
    i think it's hard to say how many people they went through to get this past class. it seems they may have another class left from the group processed on 4/5. we will have a good idea how many people it takes to get X candidates, once this next class is started (with numbers 1-500 being finished/exhausted).

Thread Information