Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Default 3 Down, 9 To Go

EMS Training Week 3 in the books. Pain is still there, but now in muscles I never knew I had before. Big study weekend.

Forum Member

Default thanks

Thanks for the medical info sosubff I appreciate it

Forum Member

Smile Don't give up!!!!!

Lost a couple candidates this week for various reasons. Can't wait to see what next week brings us. Already lost ten pounds. I love the Navy Seal training we get. Had my head in the books all day. Muscles hurt alot but will not give up. Can't wait to finish EMT-B and progress into the fire side.

Forum Member

Post Another bites the dust

Another candidate quit today. Not sure why but it looks like we are down to 84 candidates. Started out with 93. Can't understand why someone would quit unless they won $100 million in the lottery. Getting tired of cleaning the floors with my clothes. Something tells me we will have to clean floors again tomorrow. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashtray View Post
    Another candidate quit today. Not sure why but it looks like we are down to 84 candidates. Started out with 93. Can't understand why someone would quit unless they won $100 million in the lottery. Getting tired of cleaning the floors with my clothes. Something tells me we will have to clean floors again tomorrow. Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!!
    Hey ashtray, sounds like you're having a blast, keep up the good work.

I finished medical last week and am playing the waiting game. Did you get a call or letter after med?

I cant believe you guys already lost 9 guys. Nuts.

hope everyone has a merry christmas (or a happy time during whatever holiday you celebrate)

Forum Member

Smile ... a blast

No matter how tired or sore I am, everyday I reflect back to the previous day and laugh. It is a great time with good candidates and instructors. Made a mistake on the numbers, we lost eight guys, we are down to 86. As far as medical goes, you will receive a letter in the mail telling you to report on a certain date or you will receive a letter stating you failed a portion of the medical and to go to your personal doctor and have them clear you. If the latter happens, go to your doctor asap and have him/her do whatever test(s) are needed and bring the results, in person, to the academy immediately. The next academy IS March 1st so make sure you do alot of cardio, stairs, and stretching. Go into the academy with a sense of humor and humility. It will definately be worth six months of tough training both mentally and physically. Whatever happens, IT IS WORTH IT!!! Good luck, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Forum Member

Default Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas Everybody!!! I hope Santa brings everyone an invitation to the Academy. God Bless.

Forum Member

Question

Merry Christmas everyone, real quick question.....Im red/green colorblind. So should I just give up on this whole thing? Thanks!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabre67 View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone, real quick question.....Im red/green colorblind. So should I just give up on this whole thing? Thanks!!
    NOOOO. Being colorblind will not affect you being hired as a firefighter/emt-b. If you were blind then I would probably give up but colorblind no way. Keep processing and don't sweat the small stuff. Just curious, since you can't recognize red or green how do you know to stop at a red light or pass on a green light? What color do you see when you look at a fire hydrant or money? Give yourself a x-mas present and stick with processing.

Default Christmas Wish

I wish I had that opportunity to face the challenge of being a Chicago Firefighter. Sincerely, test applicant 9,515.

Forum Member

Default quick question

does anyone know if when you go on a saturday to schedule your medical if it is going to to be that same day if not .. what is done on that saturday

Forum Member

Default medical?

has anyone heard back from medical. i took mine on the 16th of dec.

Forum Member

Hi guys, I just found this massive thread of info. I took the test in '06, passed without a problem. I was assigned a random number of 2,147 out of 17k I believe. I have never received any follow up information.

I still live in the same place, I have no criminal record, owe no debts to the city, or any other obvious disqualifying factors that I've read of.

Any ideas of what I might be able to do?

Forum Member

asdfasdfasdf

Forum Member

I'm not sure if there is a probationary period to post here, I've posted twice, one was a question and another was junk text, don't see either ;(

Anyway, in case this makes it, I asked if I should be worried that my random number was in the low 2k's, and I've received no information whatsoever, since the initial letter with my random number was sent.

After reading around the April 08 posts though, I see they were around the 600's, so I guess I'm still in line for some point in the future.

Forum Member

Are they still planning a class in March?

Forum Member

has anyone heard anything from medical, or gotten a letter for further processing? i took the medical on dec. 16th and thought the stress test wasn't hard at all. i'm sure i passed everything else but just anxious to hear back saying i'm cleared

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aircrew777 View Post
    Are they still planning a class in March?
    I believe so, when we went for our medicals Mrs. Ghant told us that she was pressed for time, thus why we all got calls instead of letters telling us to report for the medical.

On another note, did anyone hear back about the medicals yet?

Forum Member

I went in for my medical Dec 8 and have not heard anything back yet besides getting a bill for my x-rays.

Forum Member

I was down for medical second week in December. No letter or phone call yet. Every day Im more and more anxious.

Forum Member

Post March and Medicals

Quote Originally Posted by seventies View Post
    I believe so, when we went for our medicals Mrs. Ghant told us that she was pressed for time, thus why we all got calls instead of letters telling us to report for the medical.

On another note, did anyone hear back about the medicals yet?
    I'm 99% positive the next class starts March 1st. It was brought up in week two in my class. Nothing has been said since, however, I think the CFD is going to start a new class every three months over the next year.

If you don't hear anything about medical that's a good thing. If you get a letter about medical that means you failed something and need to go to your personal doctor. No news is good news because that means you will go to final processing.

Make sure you guys are working out! The physical training is not easy. Just warming up to start PT hurts. Work out as much as you can now to make life that much easier for you when you start. CARDIO, STRETCHING, and more CARDIO. I don't care how much you think you are in shape, you're not, but don't worry, you guys will find out first hand when you start the academy. Good luck and happy New Year.

Forum Member

Default March

I haven't heard anything but I'll keep my ears open. Hang in there with it. Awesome does not begin to describe the Academy and this job.

Forum Member

good lookin' out ashtray. How much do you think you are running everyday?

Forum Member

Default Passed National EMT-Basic

Hey guys,
    this is for those who may be in the academy or about to start soon. I have taken my nremt-b and passed. wow that was ton of bricks lifted off me. anyway.....are you guys required to take the state or national during your ems training? if you are required to take national, does a canidate who has that already need to redo it, sit through the class, or take any exams. i heard that if you have a license, you are not required to take any test and show them your card each test day. im sure there are guys out there who are in the same boat as me. hit me back and give me your words of wisdom. one more thing i am starting paramedic school in fall, and if my number comes around by then would you guys recommend dropping out to follow through with the cfd or finish paramedic school and get a waiver for the process?
    thanks--.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by playball View Post
    Hey guys,
    this is for those who may be in the academy or about to start soon. I have taken my nremt-b and passed. wow that was ton of bricks lifted off me. anyway.....are you guys required to take the state or national during your ems training? if you are required to take national, does a canidate who has that already need to redo it, sit through the class, or take any exams. i heard that if you have a license, you are not required to take any test and show them your card each test day. im sure there are guys out there who are in the same boat as me. hit me back and give me your words of wisdom. one more thing i am starting paramedic school in fall, and if my number comes around by then would you guys recommend dropping out to follow through with the cfd or finish paramedic school and get a waiver for the process?
    thanks--.
    If you have EMT-B you will still have to attend the EMS side of the academy and have a 75% or above on your classwork (homework, tests, daily quizz, etc.) but not have to take to national test. If you do not maintain a 75% or above at the end of the three months you will be fired even though you already have EMT-B. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 12-31-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Thread Information