Like Tree288Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    To switch form the CPAT to a "city made" agility test is proof enough I would say but once again just my opinion.
    There was no switch. As far as I know it has always been our own test - and very easy, at least in '95.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

So you guys know they're definitely using the physical test from '95? I "heard" they might use the CPAT this time. This is important because I know the CPAT will eliminate a lot of people. I'm in really good shape and I'm not gonna lie, the stair climber part is killer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcconn1
    So you guys know they're definitely using the physical test from '95? I "heard" they might use the CPAT this time. This is important because I know the CPAT will eliminate a lot of people. I'm in really good shape and I'm not gonna lie, the stair climber part is killer.
    I don't think anyone knows which they are gonna use. I certainly don't. I just said, as far as I know, we have never used it before. I hope they do use the CPAT because it's widely used and accepted so hopefully it can't be challenged as discriminatory(?), and if it is even mildly challenging, it will be better than the '95 test. In the CPAT are there different standards for women? Or age?

MembersZone Subscriber

This is total BS. I'm sorry but it is. You got thousands of people who went out and put good effort into this test.... because for many this was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity.(i cant spell blah blah blah) And many are getting screwed BIG TIME. This test is supposed to be random and nondiscrimnatory.

Well.... if it discriminates the ones who scored well....that is still discriminations

MembersZone Subscriber

It is truly unfortunate to see yet another department fails to reward and recognize superior achievement and superior performance.

Instead they choose to reward mediocre performance and use a random selection of all those who passed.

God-forbid we reward those who did better than the others...I guess that would hurt someoneís feelings....those who aren't as capable or didn't prepare themselves adequately(either in the past few months or for their entire lives up until this point) for a simple exam.

It is simply amazing this country got as far as it did before falling apart as it is now.

The desire to work and achieve and hire the best performing qualified candidates was at one time the accepted standard...I suppose this notion has been supplanted with that of those who wish to achieve the bare-azz minimum!

God Help the CFD!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    There was no switch. As far as I know it has always been our own test - and very easy, at least in '95.
    Oh ok I could have been wrong but at one point I Thought I read that the CPAT was going to be used since it is a widely recoginzed test and is hard to challenge with discrimination either you can complete the tasks or you can't.
    Like I said I dunno though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230
    Oh ok I could have been wrong but at one point I Thought I read that the CPAT was going to be used since it is a widely recoginzed test and is hard to challenge with discrimination either you can complete the tasks or you can't.
    Like I said I dunno though
    I hope you are right! Again, does anyone know if the CPAT has different standards for women or age differences? All I know about it is what I have read on these forums.

Forum Member

I hope you are right! Again, does anyone know if the CPAT has different standards for women or age differences? All I know about it is what I have read on these forums.
    If there is a different standard,,,,, there shouldn't be........Being a Woman i would like to be held to the same standards as my commrades...... because it's not like you are expected to preform less because you a a woman........you are expected to do you job......
    SO.... that being said....
    if you can't pass it the physical agility test as is.....
    maybe you should reconsider the career as a Fire Fighter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMPchick
    If there is a different standard,,,,, there shouldn't be.........
    Very healthy opinion, to me anyway!!!! I hope you make it on.

Forum Member

Very healthy opinion, to me anyway!!!! I hope you make it on.
    not trying to sound bitter to you... i just had to deal with issues like that being a female MP in the military.....

Forum Member

not trying to sound bitter to you... i just had to deal with issues like that being a female MP in the military.....
    I didn't take it as bitter, I took it as admirable. Too many people are looking for excuses for why they don't have to perform - you are not, and thats a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

MembersZone Subscriber

The CPAT has its legal problems. Recently, there was a settlement regarding the CPAT. Anyone department who is administering the CPAT has to (don't quote me) allow for 2 practice sessions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cpat.

to pass the CPAT you have 10:20 Seconds. Male or female. white or black, fat or skinny. if it varies, then it is not the CPAT.

screw weight lifting for the CPAT, the key is endurance. i ran hills, sprints and stairs with weight to build what little strength i needed to pass, alternate days i just did strictly endurance runs/bicycle. if you can run 4 miles non-stop, you should pass.

also, part of the cpat is the practice test that must be offered as well as a general training program they send you.

!0:1 odds says that Chicago does not use the CPAT. thats just my opinion.

Forum Member

I read in this article
    http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/sea...,4807897.story
    that in '95 canidates were put into "well qualified" and "qualified" categories. Is that not true for this year? I got put into the "qualified" category. Did anyone get "well qualified'?

MembersZone Subscriber

nope.... you are either qualified, or unqualified. your ranking is the order in which you will be called for futher testing

Forum Member

I live in NJ and got my letter today, I got qualified, SS# ends in 3 and i was randomly assigned #68xx and so it begins...........

MembersZone Subscriber

The funny thing is I was actually considering spending the money to go to Chicago to take this test. I'm absolutely happy now that I didn't waste my money doing so. I feel bad for all of those who did and are getting screwed.

Don't worry though, it's not just Chicago that is screwing with things to get people on the job who don't deserve the job. FDNY is doing the same thing, they're getting ready to make the physical easier, they're going to use the standard CPAT apparently for the next test. The prior test was similar to the CPAT but they made it harder, more competitive....the way it should be. The step mill time was 5 min. and 20 seconds as opposed to the 3 min. and change in the CPAT, among other differences.

Philly, talk about a fire department that is going down the tubes. Once a great fire department, busy, full of good guys, now...still pretty busy but full of a bunch of morons who just go to work for the paycheck. The city panders to those who can't get on the job the legit way.

It's happening everywhere and I agree, it's disgusting to be able to literally watch our country fall apart. Many think this is what is needed to solidify our country, I disagree, it's just ruining our country.

Forum Member

The above message that was just posted is possibly the best message I have ever read! I agree 100% with you.

Forum Member

i've also got Veteran's prefence
    Everyone with Veteran's prefernce: Does your letter say that you have Veteran's prefence? My Husband has it too but it doesn't say in the letter. He got a number in the lower 3000's

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomen
    Everyone with Veteran's prefernce: Does your letter say that you have Veteran's prefence? My Husband has it too but it doesn't say in the letter. He got a number in the lower 3000's
    Yes, mine says it in the letter. I would definitely look into that. I still don't understand how they are incorporating that into these random numbers.

Forum Member

Yes, mine says it in the letter. I would definitely look into that. I still don't understand how they are incorporating that into these random numbers.
    i think that they just randomly selected people becuase its obviously is not by SSN

Forum Member

Yes, mine says it in the letter. I would definitely look into that.
    Maybe someone can help me and tell me who I should/could contact now. The Fire Departments's Personnel Divison?

Forum Member

Question Just wondering....

Some of you have gripes with how the testing process for the CFD went. Is it because more minorities have the chance to become FF? Just wondering how everyone feels about it b/c evidently that's what this is about.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Toyamsu
    Some of you have gripes with how the testing process for the CFD went. Is it because more minorities have the chance to become FF? Just wondering how everyone feels about it b/c evidently that's what this is about.

It would seem most are concerned about the lowering of standards to hire persons that are unfit for the job of a fireman...that includes persons of all races I'm sure.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Default i dont think thats what its about at all

I think most people who took the test (most being the ones that are whining) failed to research CFD aside from watching backdraft. If you had researched CFD you would have known how difficult getting a fair shake was going to be (in relation to strictly test scores). The city has been proclaiming for the past year that it is their intention bring diversity to the CFD, and that is what they are going to do.
    Should CFD take the best test takers? NO. The test is merely a minimum standard. The physical agility is a minimum standard. The minimum that it takes to be a firefighter. Did CFD make the minimum standard easier to reach, yes they did. Does it make it easier to pass, sure...but itís easier for everyone.

CFD will do what it has to do to diversify the department, but I can assure you that the standards will not be lowered in the academy (well I canít assure you, but I am assuming...) Will minorities get hiring preference, sure. But if they canít do the job then I will bet they will be weeded out in the academy.

What kills me is that a select few think they are better then the rest of the 17000+ that past the test. Realize this, you are a number.

If you wanted to get a better shake, they you should have checked other when it asked about race. Or not answer it at all.

I do see both spectrums of the argument. After all I am a crusty, almost too old to get hired, white male.

It is what it is folks, complaining isnít going to change your score or give you enhancement points.
    Last edited by pedalinmedic; 10-03-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Thread Information