Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 552 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114514 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

sounds like everyone that passed are getting letters. so that's a good thing.

Forum Member

Dh just got the letter too - I wonder what's next

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomen
    Dh just got the letter too - I wonder what's next

Round 2 of the waiting game is next.

MembersZone Subscriber

A few questions for the guys that just recently got their letters. Are you located in the Chicago/Illinois area? I checked my mail today and havent received anything but I figure its because im in California, so it may be a few more days. Also did anyone receive a letter via email?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my letter with my number on it. Let's just say it's about halfway between 0 and 17,063. I got veteran's preference but it doesn't elaborate on how that's going to work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cservat
    A few questions for the guys that just recently got their letters. Are you located in the Chicago/Illinois area? I checked my mail today and havent received anything but I figure its because im in California, so it may be a few more days. Also did anyone receive a letter via email?

Yes that is most likely why you havent heard yet, I am about 25 miles west of chicago.

Forum Member

Red face

Im a Chicago resident................got my letter today......... I believe i've got a good random number,,,,, it is between 1 and 2000..........i've also got Veteran's prefence ,,,,,
    but i've heard that this random number is just for the next steps in the process...........
    i've also heard that once you have passed the next steps ,,, and have gotten on the eligibility list........
    there will be 2 seperate lotterys..... 1 for Veterans.... and 1 for the rest.........hope this can help a few people...........
    but then again.........that is just what i've "HEARD".
    Last edited by ArmyMPchick; 09-26-2006 at 05:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Chicago
    Last edited by AlKalineTrio; 04-14-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Forum Member

O.K. More for the rumor mill. A friend works for cfd in the office. he says that the random numbers were assigned to all that passed, but the city still does not know how they will use them. for example, they meay start at random #1 and work back, or start at random #1001... you get the point. Also, they may just select random #'s at "random". rest assured in chicago, your best bet is still to have clout. Anyhow, good luck to all, but remember, keep testing. there is noway all 17,000 passing candidates will get called in this lifetime.

Forum Member

I think I've heard about 5 different rumors in the last 10 hours about what is next, I swear some people just make this stuff up, so with that in mind, I'm not going to believe anything I hear unless it is from an official source.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFSmitty1
    O.K. More for the rumor mill. A friend works for cfd in the office. he says that the random numbers were assigned to all that passed, but the city still does not know how they will use them. for example, they meay start at random #1 and work back, or start at random #1001... you get the point. Also, they may just select random #'s at "random". rest assured in chicago, your best bet is still to have clout. Anyhow, good luck to all, but remember, keep testing. there is noway all 17,000 passing candidates will get called in this lifetime.
    also received my letter today and also that thing about the 17,000 getting a call is not true im sure the physical agility, background investigation, and drug test will weed out some more people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlKalineTrio
    I live in Chicago but I had the results sent to my parents house which is also about 25 miles west of Chicago and I got my letter today. My random number is in the 4600's and my SS# ends in a 1. I am very curious to know what number other people are and what their SS# ends in.
    i'm in the 1600's and mine ends in a 9

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I got mine this evening in the mail. I applied for Veterans Preference but do not remember there being anything written down on the paper about it. I would imagine they would do some lottery system that would further assure there is no bias. I am not holding my breath, but I am interested in seeing how long it takes for Chicago to get to the next step.

Forum Member

mine ends with an 8, and i fall in the upper 1600's

Forum Member

I live in New Jersey and didn't get mine last night. Prob will get it today or tomorrow i think, maybe Friday. I'll let everyone know.

MembersZone Subscriber

PA here, still waiting. SS# ends with an 8, anxious to see how this turns out!

Forum Member

I believe they started with SS#'s ending in 9. Everyone I know who has one that ends in 9 is in the first 1800 or so. Which makes sense. now as far as what that means is anybodies guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlet05
    I think I've heard about 5 different rumors in the last 10 hours about what is next, I swear some people just make this stuff up, so with that in mind, I'm not going to believe anything I hear unless it is from an official source.
    Outlet, that is the way to think brother! Nothing is for sure until you see that peice of mail show up at your house saying "report to the fire academy on XX/XX/XXXX."

I didn't even take the test and I'm #10 on the list and my last digit of my SS# is 14! How did I get a double digit LAST NUMBER you ask? It's Chicago, they are going to hire who they want anyway!

In all seriousness guys, good luck and I hope that you all make out for the better on the test.

FDNY's filing period is still open for anyone that doesn't want to wait around: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...s_080106.shtml
    Last edited by NDeMarse; 09-27-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

MembersZone Subscriber

i'm in the 12,500's and my SS# ends with a 6, for what its worth.

Forum Member

I called the HR dept today and asked about these random numbers and how this is going to work, they told me that your random number is where you are on the list and that they will be starting at number 1 and going down the list, so if your # is 1-1200 you will probally be called in the next 3 years.

Thread Information