Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackthunder92 View Post
    Did they tell you what you were going for on the 26? Do you have to go down on the 18th too?

Have you done your medical yet?
    No medical yet, starting background, they only said to come in and I will get a letter in the mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by allroad View Post
    I just got a call to come in on June 26 and then July 18 background paperwork starts now sweet!
    allroad, congrats on moving on. If you don't mind can you tell us if your out of state, a veteran, what # your close to. Did they give you any info on what your going to be doing there on the 26th or what to bring. Did you get the call today? I know its a million questions. Any info you could give a lot of us a better idea on where we stand. Thanks for your help and congrats again!

Forum Member

I received a call on Monday to report on the 27th for my medical, #1183 non-vet, background finished last Friday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    Hey Guys, I was down at the Union Hall today and one of the Union officials said the next class was going to start on August 1st. Not written in stone of course, but it looks pretty good. Good Luck.
    are you in tech a this week, or were you signing up...shoot me a pm and let me know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    Hey Guys, I was down at the Union Hall today and one of the Union officials said the next class was going to start on August 1st. Not written in stone of course, but it looks pretty good. Good Luck.
    One of the instructors at the Quinn just told us the same news, August 1. But, that is a saturday so the 3rd?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slimd125 View Post
    allroad, congrats on moving on. If you don't mind can you tell us if your out of state, a veteran, what # your close to. Did they give you any info on what your going to be doing there on the 26th or what to bring. Did you get the call today? I know its a million questions. Any info you could give a lot of us a better idea on where we stand. Thanks for your help and congrats again!
    I live in the suburbs,
    Not a veteran,
    1190s,
    All she said was to come in on Friday,but I'm going out of town Wednesday, so she said I will get a letter and will have to come in on July 18 with all the things for background I would like to know what will happen on Friday too. I did get the call today. Its all new to me I don't know anyone that's in CFD so thanks to all of you that post on here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by allroad View Post
    I live in the suburbs,
    Not a veteran,
    1190s,
    All she said was to come in on Friday,but I'm going out of town Wednesday, so she said I will get a letter and will have to come in on July 18 with all the things for background I would like to know what will happen on Friday too. I did get the call today. Its all new to me I don't know anyone that's in CFD so thanks to all of you that post on here.
    allroad. thanks for the info. You don't think there trying to rush you through for the August class? Is that even possiable? Anyways good to hear there starting to move on with the backgrounds. Good luck with the 19th and keeps us updated. Thanks

Forum Member

allroad. thanks for the info. You don't think there trying to rush you through for the August class? Is that even possiable? Anyways good to hear there starting to move on with the backgrounds. Good luck with the 19th and keeps us updated. Thanks
    No Way for August at least I don't think so...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seventies View Post
    One of the instructors at the Quinn just told us the same news, August 1. But, that is a saturday so the 3rd?
    Hey i just did my medical this weekend and they said it was taking about a week for blood work to come back...is that Aug 1 st date for people that are all ready to go? just wondering because I am from out of state " west coast" so If Aug 1st is true damn I have to get a place fast? any info would be great thx

Forum Member

Is this August class the last class of 2009? Or are they going to squeeze one more in? Hoping to get a interest card soon. In the 1510"s any info. Thanks & Good luck to all

Forum Member

Exclamation

I just got my BI packet and one of the questions on there is "Have you ever been rejected for or discharged from employment with the city of chicago?". I applied for CPD back in 2004 or 2005 and failed the psych test cause I really didnt want to get on anyway and when doing the psych test you have to take 2 or 3 of those 400 or 500 question tests where they ask the same question in 3 different ways. I got half way through and just answered C C C C C C C the rest of the way.

Does anybody know if failing that and getting "rejected" by the CPD will ruin my chances at the Fire Dept. This would kill me if I made it this far only to be rejected by the CFD. =( Please someone who REALLY knows help me out here. I need a definite answer if anyone has one.....Thanks

Forum Member

Default Cpd

TommyJohn....I also had gone thru the process for the CPD, but in the end decided to turn down the position. I did include this info in the packet. it didnt have any bearing on my BI.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onedaychiff View Post
    Is this August class the last class of 2009? Or are they going to squeeze one more in? Hoping to get a interest card soon. In the 1510"s any info. Thanks & Good luck to all
    the rumor is they are going to try and fit one more class in by the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Forum Member

You're in the next batch cause I alread did my agility test and I'm only a few numbers ahead of you. Still waiting to do the rest

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyrmanJ343 View Post
    You're in the next batch cause I alread did my agility test and I'm only a few numbers ahead of you. Still waiting to do the rest
    Thanks seventies & fryrman. Do u think those cards will go out this year or next year? Im really curious about how it's unfolding. Thanks & good luck to all.

I took the make-up exam in Feb and got assigned 14000 with the vetrans benefits. Realistically is there any chance that I will get called before the next test?

Im kind of in the same boat as onedaychiff. My number is in the 1480's and I would really like to know if there will be another batch of cards sent out for another class. If anyoun knows, what are the highest numbers that have been sent out and about how many are sent out each batch? Concrats to the ones who have made it and i'm just curious if I have a legit chance in the near future. Thanks.

Forum Member

I was told in human resources that they no longer are doing the interest cards... and they will just post on the city of Chicago website. anybody know about this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokey024 View Post
    I took the make-up exam in Feb and got assigned 14000 with the vetrans benefits. Realistically is there any chance that I will get called before the next test?
    from what I understand, there are a lot of guys that can retire very soon. I think it will be a while with your number. supposedly the list is good for ten years. you could always do the back door, become a paramedic and get on that list, you may get in the department faster all you have to do after that is get on the crossover list. in any case, hang in there.

Forum Member

Thanks seventies & fryrman. Do u think those cards will go out this year or next year? Im really curious about how it's unfolding. Thanks & good luck to all.

Hey chiff,
    lemme know when you receive an interest card. I'm in the 1420's and still waiting for mine...

MembersZone Subscriber

Can anyone that has been or is going through the BI tell me if they need high school transcripts? I think I saw a post on here that said they did but not sure. The thing I'm worried about is with it being summer I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of anyone at the school. Also do they want them sent to the city or do you turn them in with the rest of your paperwork? Thanks

Forum Member

Can anyone that has been or is going through the BI tell me if they need high school transcripts? I think I saw a post on here that said they did but not sure. The thing I'm worried about is with it being summer I don't know if I'll be able to get a hold of anyone at the school. Also do they want them sent to the city or do you turn them in with the rest of your paperwork? Thanks
    they need your high school (AND any college) transcripts. they give you an envelope, that is to be used for the "school to send" the CFD the transcripts. CFD will let you know if they got them, when you report to turn in the rest of the background packet. i wouldnt worry about it...you should be able to get in touch with somebody at your school, when you need them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seventies View Post
    from what I understand, there are a lot of guys that can retire very soon. I think it will be a while with your number. supposedly the list is good for ten years. you could always do the back door, become a paramedic and get on that list, you may get in the department faster all you have to do after that is get on the crossover list. in any case, hang in there.
    Crossing over as a paramedic is not "back-dooring", as you put it. Everyone that has become a firefighter via this method has contributed many hard years of service to the City and the Department,in some cases almost 20 years, and this is NOT in any way, shape, or form a shortcut. If anything, these members DESERVE this promotion, and they should cross-train the entire EMS division before they take another person off the eligibility list. Heck, if they could ever get the requirements added to having to be an EMT and/or a paramedic to even take the test like the suburbs do, we could get away from 15,000 name eligibilty lists and 10 years between exams and hire more qualified people than we already do, because half the training would already be under their belts, instead of babysitting and hand holding through the EMT class and wasting 13 or 14 weeks doing that. And to the guy who asked about the prior employment by or processing for previous City of Chicago employment, you'd better answer that truthfully, because they will not hesitate to check, and while it's a 50-50 crapshoot on their response to it, it's 100% that you'll get tossed out of further consideration if you try to cover it up.

Forum Member

CDean
    I don't think 70's was trying to diminish the crossovers in any way.
    "Back-door" was not intended to be a cheat or shortcut, just a different way to get on. There are always two routes to the same point,that doesn't mean one is better or worse than the other, just different. Don't take offense.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=CDean1262;1074138]Crossing over as a paramedic is not "back-dooring", as you put it. Everyone that has become a firefighter via this method has contributed many hard years of service to the City and the Department,in some cases almost 20 years, and this is NOT in any way, shape, or form a shortcut. If anything, these members DESERVE this promotion, and they should cross-train the entire EMS division before they take another person off the eligibility list. Heck, if they could ever get the requirements added to having to be an EMT and/or a paramedic to even take the test like the suburbs do, we could get away from 15,000 name eligibilty lists and 10 years between exams and hire more qualified people than we already do, because half the training would already be under their belts, instead of babysitting and hand holding through the EMT class and wasting 13 or 14 weeks doing that.QUOTE]

It is "back-dooring" if you become a paramedic with CFD with the intention of crossing over in 4 years. I don't know what else you can call it. We had a couple guys in our class with 4 years on the job. Also, I was talking to a few of the medics from the last class and everyone of them I talked too said "how lucky I was and how they can't wait until they can crossover". Are they becoming medics because they want to be medics or are they becoming medics so they can cut in front of these guys and girls waiting for their # to be called? I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do but it is what it is..

Thread Information