Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 152 of 555 FirstFirst ... 52102142149150151152153154155162202252 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 11085
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Post March and Medicals

Quote Originally Posted by seventies View Post
    I believe so, when we went for our medicals Mrs. Ghant told us that she was pressed for time, thus why we all got calls instead of letters telling us to report for the medical.

On another note, did anyone hear back about the medicals yet?
    I'm 99% positive the next class starts March 1st. It was brought up in week two in my class. Nothing has been said since, however, I think the CFD is going to start a new class every three months over the next year.

If you don't hear anything about medical that's a good thing. If you get a letter about medical that means you failed something and need to go to your personal doctor. No news is good news because that means you will go to final processing.

Make sure you guys are working out! The physical training is not easy. Just warming up to start PT hurts. Work out as much as you can now to make life that much easier for you when you start. CARDIO, STRETCHING, and more CARDIO. I don't care how much you think you are in shape, you're not, but don't worry, you guys will find out first hand when you start the academy. Good luck and happy New Year.

Forum Member

Default March

I haven't heard anything but I'll keep my ears open. Hang in there with it. Awesome does not begin to describe the Academy and this job.

Forum Member

good lookin' out ashtray. How much do you think you are running everyday?

Forum Member

Default Passed National EMT-Basic

Hey guys,
    this is for those who may be in the academy or about to start soon. I have taken my nremt-b and passed. wow that was ton of bricks lifted off me. anyway.....are you guys required to take the state or national during your ems training? if you are required to take national, does a canidate who has that already need to redo it, sit through the class, or take any exams. i heard that if you have a license, you are not required to take any test and show them your card each test day. im sure there are guys out there who are in the same boat as me. hit me back and give me your words of wisdom. one more thing i am starting paramedic school in fall, and if my number comes around by then would you guys recommend dropping out to follow through with the cfd or finish paramedic school and get a waiver for the process?
    thanks--.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by playball View Post
    Hey guys,
    this is for those who may be in the academy or about to start soon. I have taken my nremt-b and passed. wow that was ton of bricks lifted off me. anyway.....are you guys required to take the state or national during your ems training? if you are required to take national, does a canidate who has that already need to redo it, sit through the class, or take any exams. i heard that if you have a license, you are not required to take any test and show them your card each test day. im sure there are guys out there who are in the same boat as me. hit me back and give me your words of wisdom. one more thing i am starting paramedic school in fall, and if my number comes around by then would you guys recommend dropping out to follow through with the cfd or finish paramedic school and get a waiver for the process?
    thanks--.
    If you have EMT-B you will still have to attend the EMS side of the academy and have a 75% or above on your classwork (homework, tests, daily quizz, etc.) but not have to take to national test. If you do not maintain a 75% or above at the end of the three months you will be fired even though you already have EMT-B. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 12-31-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Forum Member

Post Drop paramedic school

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    If you have EMT-B you will still have to attend the EMS side of the academy and have a 75% or above on your classwork (homework, tests, daily quizz, etc.) but not have to take to national test. If you do not maintain a 75% or above at the end of the three months you will be fired even though you already have EMT-B. Hope that helps.
    To continue with what Bugsy said, drop paramedic school and get a seat for the academy. Once your done with probation the CFD will pay for continuing education. Don't take a waiver if you can get a seat in a class unless there is some kind of hardship in your personal life that gives you no choice. The only hardship I can think of is if your in intensive care or dead. Don't forget 20,000 people are in line behind you to get on and there is only around 100 seats for each academy.

Forum Member

Default Playball

I second what Bugs and Tray said. Remember, you cannot waive any part of the training no matter what prior experience or certifications you have. Someone with an MD would have to sit through the entire EMS training program, attend every lecture, complete all homework, take and pass every test, quiz, and practical, just like the guy with absolutely no EMS experience. As for the paramedic class, if time and your financial situation allows, I would take it. If you finish before the Academy, great. You get something like a 9% pay increase over a regular EMT-B for holding the paramedic license, and you don't have to do BLS Ambulance details. But if the Academy comes up before you finish, get into the Academy ASAP. You don't want to be the guy who passed on a class, and had to wait six months or a year or more for the next one.

Forum Member

Post Not Sure

good lookin' out ashtray. How much do you think you are running everyday?
    I'm not sure, maybe BUGSY, TRCO2H, or someone else on this thread has a better answer for you. Everything we do is by time not distance or repititions. For the time alloted on a specific activity you have to push yourself to the limit and keep going even if you puke, feel like your going to pass out, or feel like your going to die. If you slow down or take a two second break a drill instructor will be on top of you in an instant.

MembersZone Subscriber

How long is the Chicago Fire Academy? 6 months? what do you guys do? the first 3 months of EMS then the last 3 months of Fire? what do you guys do for PT?

I am not on any list for Chicago FD, I am just curious as to how your academy works

Forum Member

Default thanks guys

hey-
    well thanks for clearing up some of the rumors i heard. im still really stoked that i passed that national test. so if guys fail the national when they are done with there chicago ems training do they get booted or do they get three tries to pass the national?

Forum Member

You get 3 tries at the national. As far as PT goes, we haven't really ran much at all, pretty much just from FAS to the Quinn down the street, unless you count running in place for like 20 minutes. Probably because of the weather. PT is INTENSE though, even if you are in good shape. Its not a question of whether you can keep up with repititions without muscle failure, its can you keep going after your muscles have failed. I would focus on pushups, squats, and your core muscles.

Forum Member

Default 5 Down, 8 to Go

EMS Week 5 in the books. Caught a break with two short weeks, but they managed to squeeze enough work in. Wednesday PT was indescribable! Next two weeks should be good: Hazmat, Ambulance Rides, skills assesment, then mid-term. Hang in there boys! Up and Over!!!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Indescribable

Quote Originally Posted by TRCO2H View Post
    EMS Week 5 in the books. Caught a break with two short weeks, but they managed to squeeze enough work in. Wednesday PT was indescribable! Next two weeks should be good: Hazmat, Ambulance Rides, skills assesment, then mid-term. Hang in there boys! Up and Over!!!
    Wednesday was a beat down. Over two hours of non-stop cardio and muscle breakdown. P.T., good for you, good for me, oh rah. Surprised no one went to medical that day. Can't wait for Ambulance rides. Ambo is going to be alot of fun. Study skill assessment's because we will get graded on the practicals. Work out over the weekend. I think hell week was Wednesday, if not, we are all in trouble. Can't wait to cross over to Quinn, almost half way there. I love this job. P.S. Don't do anything to lose this job. This is the best job on the planet!

Forum Member

Has anyone who went for medicals in December heard anything yet? Hopefully the lack of talk means we are all healthy as mules and ready for March.

Forum Member

Has anyone who went for medicals in December heard anything yet? Hopefully the lack of talk means we are all healthy as mules and ready for March.
    Nothing yet. Just keep checking that mail box! Keep us posted, Ill do the same.

Forum Member

anyone have the info for the human resources section of the cfd. i don't want to talk to just anyone who will blow me off. you get a lot of that at city hall from what i have noticed. i need to update my certifications and i filled out a change of address a while ago and want to make sure that it went through and is correct. this is the second time i filled it out cuz the first one somehow dissapeared on their end. i spoke to a ms opel last time.

Forum Member

Talking hiring

One of my co-workers just told me he recieved a letter from the city, his number is around 1050. Can anyone confirm?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by playball View Post
    anyone have the info for the human resources section of the cfd. i don't want to talk to just anyone who will blow me off. you get a lot of that at city hall from what i have noticed. i need to update my certifications and i filled out a change of address a while ago and want to make sure that it went through and is correct. this is the second time i filled it out cuz the first one somehow dissapeared on their end. i spoke to a ms opel last time.
    I think you should ask for either: mrs ghant or barbara muse. 312-746-6902
    I dont know their extensions, but you can press # or something to get a list of people at the office.

Forum Member

Default Very first step

Hey Guys
    Just found this thread and it is full of great info.
    Quick question, I just got a letter saying to return an interest card by Feb 9.
    My question is, from this point, how long does the entire process take?
    I know it takes a while but, 6 months or a year or what?
    Thanks for any replies.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yoe400800 View Post
    I think you should ask for either: mrs ghant or barbara muse. 312-746-6902
    I dont know their extensions, but you can press # or something to get a list of people at the office.
    ms. ghant is personnel (312-746-6902 x151).

ms. muse is in charge of IAD (probably wouldn't want to call her).

Thread Information