Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 552 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666116516 ... LastLast
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    You will get hired according to how many votes you can get for Daley.
    I should clarify this. It isnt "you" per se. It is going to be based on the group you belong to and the political capital it provides the mayor. The city wants to hire as many minorities as they can. That's a simple fact.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

If you cant figure it out it has nothing to do with your SS#

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 27Truck
    If you cant figure it out it has nothing to do with your SS#
    I was told that it does not go by SS#. Numbers assigned will be randomly picked. You can be called tommorrw or in 5 years so be patient. I wish everyone good luck.

In the paper they said that people from 1995 are still getting called because many are still on the list that are qualified.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, let's say the numbers are totally random. Whatever percentage of veterans passed the exam that same percentage has to be in every future academy class. Also, 10% of the class has to be paramedics. How do they work that in if they just pick all the numbers randomly?
    (Yes, I know it could still take a while for veterans or paramedics to get called but I would like a little less ambiguity about the process.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcconn1
    Okay, let's say the numbers are totally random. Whatever percentage of veterans passed the exam that same percentage has to be in every future academy class. Also, 10% of the class has to be paramedics. How do they work that in if they just pick all the numbers randomly?
    (Yes, I know it could still take a while for veterans or paramedics to get called but I would like a little less ambiguity about the process.)
    10% needs to be cross over paramedics, meaning people already working for CFD. They are selected from a seperate pool based on seniority.

LOL,

So many people wonder why I never had an interested in this test.

I am not trying to discourage or shoot anyone's dreams and hopes down. If I had a dime for everytime I heard, "you'll never be hired by the FDNY," I'd be a rich man. (I could actually use those dimes right now!)

I am not telling anyone they won't be hired by CFD. What I am saying is that I am sorry you guys have to go through the test like this. Unfortunately, this thread will go to about 25 or more pages with posts just like these. It's ALL rumor, it's ALL "what-if....'s" and "why don't they....'s".

My advice to you is: Take a test in a village, town or city that will give you a LIST NUMBER based on your TEST SCORES. This process is completely f'ed up. There is ONLY ONE REASON (described below) that "randomly selecting from a pool of candidates" is the better way to do it. It could be such an easy process if it was run like any other city, town or village fire department:
    1) Written test score
    2) Agility Test score
    3) Factor in Military/residency/legacy points (if they are available)

The average of these scores would directly give you a ranked list number. The list numbers are followed from 1 to the end and you would know when your number is coming up.

THE ONLY REASON FOR TESTING LIKE THEY DO: Of course, if you did the above process, it would be harder to sneak Chief's kids, minorities, the mayor's buddy, etc... into the job. We woudn't want that now would we? After all, those mentioned above DESERVE the job, right?

I hope everyone knows what they are getting in to. Just remember, when you finally DO GET THE JOB, the hiring process will be the most smooth running process that you are involved in!

DO NOT WAIT FOR THE CFD TO "UN-F$#K" THEIR HIRING PROCESS. I have several friends that took the '95 test in the city and thank god they didn't wait to be called. One is a Chief of Department in a suburb and several others are Lieutenants & Captains in good suburban departments. Move on to better your career and cross the bridge when it comes.

Good Luck All!
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

In the paper they said that people from 1995 are still getting called because many are still on the list that are qualified.[/QUOTE]

Nobody from the 1995 list is getting called anymore. The academy told them that they were the last class of 1995,for the class of August. The also said the were the last class with 3 quarter boots. And they just don't grap CFD paramedics and cross train them, they have to take the entrance exam too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beeballs
    In the paper they said that people from 1995 are still getting called because many are still on the list that are qualified.
    Nobody from the 1995 list is getting called anymore. The academy told them that they were the last class of 1995,for the class of August. The also said the were the last class with 3 quarter boots. And they just don't grap CFD paramedics and cross train them, they have to take the entrance exam too.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they have to had taken the 95 test to cross over, then it is based on seniority. my point was that they don't reach the contractually negotiated 10% of each class as medics by taking civilian medics. Now for a bit of a ramble. I think the testing process is just fine for a city that gets 25k apps. True, the guy that scores a 70 cannot read a paragraph as well as the guy who scores a 99, but anyone on the job knows that being a great reader does not make you a great firefighter. All the test needs to do is insure that you are smart enough to pass the state ffII test, and the emt test. I think it does that. As far as arbitrarily selecting candidates based on SS#, why not, at least it is objective. I'd rather take my chances that way than in some interview like Indianapolis, "what would you do if you saw another firefighter stealing?" That allows for to much subjectivity. As far as chiefs kids go Ndemarse, this is Chicago, it's never gonna be different, but I love it anyhow. Anyhow glad you're happy in FDNY (one less guy to compete against), and keep taking those photos.
    Last edited by FFSmitty1; 09-28-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Forum Member

The two guys I know were both medics. One was at Evanston and the other at Schiller Park. Nothing to do with CFD medics. There class started with 137 and there is only 72 guys left and a female. That's what I am saying. And I do know what your saying.

Forum Member

Funny what a small world the fire service is. I know those guys too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why do certain people on here think that people on this thread have their hearts set on CFD just because we are talking about the process? You assume A LOT! I've tested with Arlington Heights, Skokie, Evanston, Northbrook, Glenview, Wheeling, Highland Park, Park Ridge PD, CPD, ISP, Secret Service, FBI, BOP, USMS, and many other agencies that I can't even remember. I'm also taking the FDNY test. I'm not going to stop until I get hired somewhere. I might be going to law school as well. I don't know. If you don't want to talk about the process, or potential problems with it, then don't read the posts. I just like to discuss these things and I'm sick of people saying be patient, or just forget about it, or worst of all, "don't put all your eggs in one basket." If anyone on here has all their eggs in one basket then yes, they're an idiot. But why would you assume they do just because they're discussing what's happening with the Chicago test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmcconn1
    Why do certain people on here think that people on this thread have their hearts set on CFD just because we are talking about the process? You assume A LOT! I've tested with Arlington Heights, Skokie, Evanston, Northbrook, Glenview, Wheeling, Highland Park, Park Ridge PD, CPD, ISP, Secret Service, FBI, BOP, USMS, and many other agencies that I can't even remember. I'm also taking the FDNY test. I'm not going to stop until I get hired somewhere. I might be going to law school as well. I don't know. If you don't want to talk about the process, or potential problems with it, then don't read the posts. I just like to discuss these things and I'm sick of people saying be patient, or just forget about it, or worst of all, "don't put all your eggs in one basket." If anyone on here has all their eggs in one basket then yes, they're an idiot. But why would you assume they do just because they're discussing what's happening with the Chicago test.
    Agreed, I've only been testing since march and I think I'm currently on department number 9, I'm also in the process with 4 other departments as well as the CFD.

Forum Member

Well rmcconn1, Do you want to be a police officer or firefighter? Seems to me you'll take anything that's a government job. Of course the process sucks, I've tested 25 different departments and I don't know if it's bad luck or just me. Well Good luck at Hoffman because that's the next on the list.

Forum Member

I agree with what you gentlemen are posting. I have been on a career department for 4 years and the only place I would want to leave for would be CFD.

Well, for a fire test... more of them you dont need to have wits to pass. But the National Registry.... bubba joe will have a hard time with a 4th grade education. You need to have some brains in this job.

As for the ranking system.... Total BS. You have a better chance of going outside with a pick and striking oil in your backyard

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985

As for the ranking system.... Total BS. You have a better chance of going outside with a pick and striking oil in your backyard

I would try that, except that I am afraid that my profits from selling the oil would be randomly distributed among the 17,063 people in my neighborhood.

I would try that, except that I am afraid that my profits from selling the oil would be randomly distributed among the 17,063 people in my neighborhood.
    No No No. Just have everyone take a test to apply for their share of the benefits. Take the last digit of their social and randomize the numbers. Then, tell everyone that the test will be good for 3 years. Then, tell them you will be sharing with up to 300 people a year for the next 3 years. That should solve your problems. Also, that would allow you to pick your favorites and get away with it with the "randomized numbers"

Forum Member

Question Anyone from MI?

I'm actually posting on behalf of my husband who has been trying to become a FF for over the last 3 years. He took the test in Chi but hasn't received his results yet. Is there anyone here from MI who has received theirs already?

Forum Member

I live in New Jersey and did not get my results yet. Do not worry if you did not get one, EVERY person who took the exam is getting a letter, it will tell you if you are qualified (passed) or not qualified (did not pass). It'll come, everyone is getting one

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in detroit and I got mine last week

Thread Information