Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

well im black so im just goin to relax during this process and for everyone complaining about minorities, just get over it, its not gonna change i dont think they wanna get sued again and lose millions

Forum Member

Default Everyone is wrong!

Well you are all wrong about the city should be hiring more blacks, hispanics, asian. As far as the last census I saw, there are at least 50 percent women and I believe more than 50 percent women in the city. So until Chicago Fire Department is at least 50 percent women, including minority women, it's not going to be truly seeking diversity.

Sorry just trying to be difficult

MembersZone Subscriber

i dont think they wanna get sued again and lose millions

They most likely will get sued again for the current test, if they hire like most think they will

MembersZone Subscriber

AnthonyT, I'm not going to relax about it. It's bull*****. There is absolutely no reason cities should be discriminating against ANYONE in any hiring processes.

If you truly believe that "its not gonna change" because they're afraid "they'll get sued", answer me this. Are you one of those that would spur a lawsuit because they didn't hire enough minorities, even though they hired the most qualified people (those who scored higher in numerical order)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyT
    well im black so im just goin to relax during this process and for everyone complaining about minorities, just get over it, its not gonna change i dont think they wanna get sued again and lose millions
    Easy for you to say. By the grammar in your post I bet you barely passed that joke of a test. The fact that you're black probably means you will be more likely to get called then someone who can actually write proper english. Sorry buddy, but people like you getting in is what's wrong with the system.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is the most ironic post that I have ever seen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CarnyTheKid
    Well you are all wrong about the city should be hiring more blacks, hispanics, asian. As far as the last census I saw, there are at least 50 percent women and I believe more than 50 percent women in the city. So until Chicago Fire Department is at least 50 percent women, including minority women, it's not going to be truly seeking diversity.

Sorry just trying to be difficult

Actually...........i don't think they group Women in 2 separate catergories..(white women / minority women) WOMEN in general are considered a minority in CFD and CPD.

Forum Member

I continue to see all the talk about the physical and writen test. Why has the CFD not mentioned anything about an interview. This is the way the problem should be solved once the other two steps have been passed. If you can't handle yourself around a few members of the department how are you going to do in an emergancy situation with the public. Has anyone heard about an interview?

Forum Member

Default not qualified

I'm posting this message here because I'd like to hear people's input to my situation. I received not qualified on this test and I'm not satisfied with this outcome. There is no way in hell I could not have passed this test. I have a bachelor's degree in information science and I'm currently a Chicago Fire Dept. paramedic. I took this test so I could have the opportunity to cross train. This is the only real way to advance on this dept. I even went over the entire test a second time because there was so much time left. I've take other more difficult department tests and passed. This test was really easy, especially the reading and comprehension section where if you didn't remember the answer then just go back to the passage. That's why I can't understand how I could not have passed. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jimmy

Forum Member

All you career test takers quit whining. If you're the real deal and not an ambulance chaser, the city should pick you up. If they don't, then better luck next time. And judging someone by their grammar shows just how ignorant you really are. No fire department will pick up someone like that. Whiners are nothing but trouble. P.S. I'm WHITE.

Forum Member

Default CFD Test

The only reason why I could possibly think why you recieved a "Not Qualified" result was because of the little 50 question "No right or wrong answer" part on the end of the test. Maybe some of your answers didn't match up with however they wanted them to be. That's my guess. Best of luck to you in finding more answers.

Forum Member

Somebody wrote earlier in this post about how they heard CFD is going to be finding out who is paramedics and placing them to the top of the list in some sort of order and then begin hiring. I was speaking with a Field Officer and he stated he believes this is how he thinks they will hire people. Apparently CFD wants Firefighter/Paramedics he says. This is by no means official. Personally, I think this will open up a whole other can of worms on top of the other open cans. Has anybody else heard of this?

Forum Member

Chicago1, I wouldn't really listen to what people tell you in this post. Nobody knows whats going on, somebody also wrote earlier in this post that only 12% of the minorities that took the test passed and that CFD was going to throw the test out. About a week later we heard the truth.

ANd Jimmy, I'm sorry to hear that bro. Maybe the psych portion of the test at the end got you, you wouldn't be the first victim of it. And with 24,000 applicants. It is possible that there could have been a mix up in there somewhere too.

Forum Member

Smile

Hey Chicago1 that is what I don't get if there isn't a" right or wrong answer how can you be penalized??? This whole thing is really eating away at me it's all I think about now. I have 6 years on now as a medic and really don't want to spend the next, at least 14 years on an ambulance. If there is nothing I can do, I honestly have already thought of changing careers. Don't get me wrong I love the CFD but the chiefs on the EMS side will stab you in the back in a heartbeat! Thanks for your response. God bless all of you guys out there do'in it day in and day out! Good luck to all of you that passed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay7869
    Easy for you to say. By the grammar in your post I bet you barely passed that joke of a test. The fact that you're black probably means you will be more likely to get called then someone who can actually write proper english. Sorry buddy, but people like you getting in is what's wrong with the system.
    u judge me by how i type on the INTERNET? last time i checked i was typin not writing an essay......

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jones51
    All you career test takers quit whining. If you're the real deal and not an ambulance chaser, the city should pick you up. If they don't, then better luck next time. And judging someone by their grammar shows just how ignorant you really are. No fire department will pick up someone like that. Whiners are nothing but trouble. P.S. I'm WHITE.
    I will get hired, QUOTE me on that

MembersZone Subscriber

AnthonyT, I hope for your sake, someone takes the time to instill in you common sense. You can sit back and enjoy the fact that you'll get a job because you're black. When I get hired, I can sit back and be proud of myself that I had to earn my position and bust my *** to get to where I got because I am a white male under 40 and I'm not getting any special treatment.
    I'm pretty sure between the two of us, I'll be much happier in the long run, rather than using this mindset:

MembersZone Subscriber

What a proud day this must be for you and your family.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFDRESCUE
    I'm posting this message here because I'd like to hear people's input to my situation. I received not qualified on this test and I'm not satisfied with this outcome. There is no way in hell I could not have passed this test. I have a bachelor's degree in information science and I'm currently a Chicago Fire Dept. paramedic. I took this test so I could have the opportunity to cross train. This is the only real way to advance on this dept. I even went over the entire test a second time because there was so much time left. I've take other more difficult department tests and passed. This test was really easy, especially the reading and comprehension section where if you didn't remember the answer then just go back to the passage. That's why I can't understand how I could not have passed. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jimmy
    You may have mismarked the scantron, like putting #2's answer in #3's blank. This would have thrown off all of your answers subsequent.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default you make me sick

I will get hired, QUOTE me on that

In a previous post I took a side (that I donít whole heartily agree with) and defended the CFD test. I was given a number of replies to my statements, most of which were intelligent statements with a solid foundation and bases for their argument. And then I read further into the forum and read your comment and I am disgusted. Individuals with attitudes such as yourself only perpetuate the racism against minorities and of the racism against whites. My advice to you is to lose the arrogance, and understand this: that if you donít get the job then a large number of us will laugh at you. If you do get the job, a large number of us will have no respect for you. Its lose/lose situation that you have placed yourself in.

Forum Member

If you live in Chicago, you know the City has its troubles with patronage hiring scandals. 3 men from City Hall were just recently convicted for doing so. Maybe you should blame those (usually white men) that make Affirmative Action an absolute neccesity. They are the ones that have passed over more qualified minorities for city jobs, to put their white buddies in big money positions.

After reading all of the previous posts, I can tell what a difficult time minorities are going to have if they actually get a position with CFD. The white guys will never think that they earned it, even if they did.

It would be a perfect world if everyone got a job because they are the most qualified. But, that's not the case, from either side of the fence.

Forum Member

I totally agree! Finally, someone summed it all up. Thank you, Chicagomojo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, because Stroger never helped anybody get jobs. I guess that's why we don't have a bunch of Cook County Hospital Police with criminal records beating up disabled people. Oh wait, we do.

Forum Member

Wink

You say John Stroger.... I say Robert (convicted felon) Sorich. We can go on and on, but what's the point?

I will be the first to admit, I am not qualified to be a fire fighter. I took (and passed) the exam in hopes of becoming one.

I think that anyone who passes the written & physical exams, background checks, and medical evaluations will do well in the academy. If they complete the training, I bet they'll be an excellent fire fighter. And in that instance, race doesn't matter.

MembersZone Subscriber

What a proud day this must be for you and your family.
    I salute you brother for that comment

Thread Information