Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chicago Test

Can anyone tell me what the residency requirements are for the Chicago FF test? Do you have to be a city, county, or state resident, or can anyone take the exam?
    Are there any age requirements to take the exam or to get appointed?
    Any preference for EMTs or Medics?
    Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

Read page 1

MembersZone Subscriber

Entrance Exam Announcement - Remarks for Commissioner Cortez Trotter

When Mayor Daley appointed me Fire Commissioner, I set two goals for this department. The first was to build a department that even better protects all the people in every neighborhood in Chicago, and the second was to do all we can to assure that we have the trust and confidence of every community in our city.

To achieve these two over arching goals, I established four pillars. One of those pillars is to ensure that this department is reflective of the communities it serves. While we have made historical, if not, excellent progress in diversifying our command ranks...and while we have further diversified our firehouses by using our managerial transfer policy, we can do more and with today's announcement, we are demonstrating our commitment to do more.

I am pleased to join the Mayor in announcing that the Chicago Fire Department, in cooperation with the Chicago Department of Personnel, will hold a written entrance examination for the position of Firefighter/EMT in the spring of 2006. This will be the first time we are testing for the position of Firefighter/EMT. In past tests, we were testing for the position of Fire fighter only. But it's a changed department for changed times. It's no secret that the majority of our calls are for medical emergencies, so it is only logical that we change, and use that reality to guide future testing.

In the test given in 1995, we grouped applicants for further testing based on their written exam score. The new written exam will be pass/fail. All applicants who pass the written exam will be processed for further testing on a random basis.

Those who pass all phases of testing will have an opportunity to attend the Fire Academy. An even more important change comes in the frequency of testing. Let me assure you....the Chicago Fire Department is committed to never allowing a decade to go by between tests to join this department. Never again.

That is why our goal is to test for the position of Firefighter/EMT every three years. This examination and future examinations will secure the future of this department. In order to move forward we need to constantly bring in fresh faces...diverse people...and new ideas.

We want the best and the brightest...and we don't want anyone or any group to be left out... simply because there was no new test in sight and they choose another profession instead of making the Chicago Fire Department their first career choice. As part of our marketing strategy, we will embark on an outreach program that will involve faith based organizations...community organizations...civic groups and church groups... junior colleges...universities and many as other places as we can find bright talented young men and women of varied backgrounds who need to hear our message.

Some would say why test at all? Because there must be a tool to gauge an applicant's readiness for this department.
    This is a special job, because this job will ask you to aid other cities, as our members have in New York and most recently in New Orleans...this job will ask you to wake up at all hours of the night to help all types of people who are in distress.

This job will require a 110% effort. This profession, this job, is a calling...a calling many have answered and embraced.
    So today, I am asking the people of Chicago, the people of the Midwest, and people all over this great nation.

WILL YOU ANSWER THE CALL?

Don McNea Fire School conducted prep classes for the last Chicago fire exam in 1995. We will again be conducting prep classes for the 2006 exam. If you would like to be contacted by e-mail of the specifics of the exam and when our prep classes will be held, go to the link below and enter your e-mail address. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/firefighter...fireman_ .html

Forum Member

We want the best and the brightest...and we don't want anyone or any group to be left out... simply because there was no new test in sight and they choose another profession instead of making the Chicago Fire Department their first career choice

i hope the mayor and the city will standby this statment....I sucks when a non-minority has to score in the let's say 100-150 and then they go well well below that number so the city can get the RIGHT "people" in the department. Look at all the problems they have had in the past.... for you ohio guys look what happened in cleveland... hey dmschool is the promotional test grev. done and over with?

Does any one know where to get chi-towns annual report on-line

MembersZone Subscriber

THE CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT

The Chicago Fire Department is the largest fire department in the Midwest region of the United States. The City of Chicago covers 228 square miles and has a population of just under 3 million.
    The primary responsibility of the CFD includes the obvious responsibilities of preservation of life and property from fire, but it is also responsible for the response and mitigation of hazardous materials and the delivery of Emergency Medical Service. The Chicago Fire Department operates the largest totally Advanced Life Support ambulance system in the world. The fire department also responds to many other non-fire emergency responses.

The Chicago Fire Department has the following resources available: 98 Engine Companies, 59 Truck Companies, 4 Squad companies, 24 Battalion Chiefs, 6 Deputy District Chiefs, 59 Ambulance Companies, 1 Fireboat, 5 Command Vans, and a number of other specialized pieces of Equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bureau of Fire Suppression and Rescue

Generally referred to as just, "Suppression," this is the firefighting force of the department. Suppression is broken down into six districts that are each commanded by a District Chief and a Deputy District Chief. District Chiefs work normal business hours, except when one is assigned to the "Duty." When a District Chief is assigned the "Duty" he is on 24-hour call for citywide extra alarm fires and other emergencies. Deputy District Chiefs work the same type of shift as other members of subordinate rank in the department. They work a 24-hour shift and then are off for 48 hours.
    Districts
    Each District in the Chicago Fire Department is comprised of four Battalions. Each Battalion is commanded by a Battalion Chief. Each Battalion is made up of a number of Engine companies and Truck Companies. Some Battalions have Squad Companies and other miscellaneous units, such as: chemical units, smoke ejectors, command vans, etc...

^^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago O'Hare International Airport

Chicago is the home of the "World's Busiest Airport." O'Hare is located in the far Northwest portion of the city. Since many people reading this on the World Wide Web may, in fact, come through Chicago in their travels we thought that we would include some information on the extraordinary and interesting array of specialized fire equipment that resides at the three Crash stations at the airport. Presently, the CFD is not the only fire department at O'Hare. The United States Air Force also maintains a large contingent of fire equipment there. These well trained Air Force Crash teams work very closely with the units of the 12th Battalion at O'Hare.
    The fire equipment at O'Hare is top-of-the-line and state-of-the-art. This airport is one of the few airports where commercial pilots feel very confident about coming to when they have an on-board emergency.

The following is a list of fire equipment that is stationed at O'Hare: Battalion Chief 12
    Engine 9 - 1992 Federal/Emergency One 2000/750/300 with a 50-foot Squrt
    Engine 10 - identical to Engine 9
    Tower Ladder 63 - 1988 Federal/Emergency One 95-foot ladder
    Squad 7 - 1988 Spartan/Super Vac
    Command Van 2-7-8
    Ambulance 16
    Ambulance 26
    Ambulance 59
    Aircraft Stairway 6-3-5
    Crash units: 6-5-1, 6-5-3, 6-5-4, 6-5-5, 6-5-6, 6-5-7, 6-5-8, 6-5-10, 6-5-11

Most of the Crash rigs are Oshkosh T-3000's with 3185 gallons of water and 420 gallons of foam. It would take 9555 gallons of water or three full tanks of water to "eat up" or use up the 420 gallons of foam that is carried on-board these rigs. Units 6-5-1, 6-5-10 and 6-5-11 are reserve rigs.

The newest Crash Rig is 6-5-3, which is an Oshkosh T-3000 and is equipped with a "Snozzle." A Snozzle is a device that looks like an arm and has the ability to puncture the thin aluminum skin of an aircraft and inject foam or water to the inside of the plane. This Snozzle is also supposed to be able to be equipped with a television camera that is capable of seeing inside of the aircraft.

The United States Air Force has the following equipment assigned to the airport:
    Chief 2
    Red 3 - Quality P-2 Crash Rig w/ 2000 gal of water and 205 gal of foam
    Red 4 - identical to Red 3
    Red 5 - Ford F350 Rapid Intervention Vehicle. Carries foam products.
    Red 6 - Chevy C30 Rescue Vehicle
    Red 8 - Oshkosh P-4 Crash Rig w/ 1500 gal of water and 105 gal of foam
    Red 9 - Oshkosh P-19 Crash Rig w/ 1000 gal of water and 130 gal of foam
    Red 11 - Engine company
    Take all of the firefighting equipment at O'Hare and you have an impressive armada.
    Emergency communications at O'Hare is handled by the multi-million dollar "Command Center" which is a new state-of-the-art communications and crisis management center that has set a standard for all other airports, which now model their communications centers after O'Hare.

Chicago's O'Hare International Airport serves 66 million passengers every year and has a total of six runways that sit on 7,800 acres -- the acreage is less than half the size of Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport at 17,520 acres and only one quarter the size of Denver International Airport at 34,000 acres.

www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope Chicago does the right thing I have tested with other departments and have scored well. It seems like the "majority" that haven't scored as well but have brothers, fathers etc. on the job get preferential treatment. We cant have it both ways.
    workharder

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you that want to keep checking for the most up to date info on the Chicago fire exam, keep checking the link below.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...meEnumValue=17

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanemtparamedic.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We have set up a specific e-mail to inform you when Chicago announces the exact date of their next exam which we be held sometime in the spring of 2006. We will also inform of you dates and times of our prep seminars for this exam. Go to the link below to enter your e-mail. Good luck !!!

http://www.fireprep.com/chicago_fire...nnounceme.html

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you that would like to visit a Chicago station to talk with firefighters about the job, the link below is for station locations.

http://maps.cityofchicago.org/website/public/viewer.htm

www.fireprep.com

Forum Member

I currently live in the suburbs of chicago and have recently been looking into becoming a firefighter but i am lacking quite a bit of information about requirements of fire departments and the steps to take to become a firefighter and the time frame it will take to do so. I do not have any type of emt traing or firefighter training my chances of the CFD seem slim. Do they require any of this or experience and if so what type of traing, how long does this usually take to get before you can be hired on to a department, what is my best bet to start at a small company and the go big? You guys seem very proffesional and the most likely source for information any and all help would be greatly apprectiated.

MembersZone Subscriber

To make sure that you are informed when the next Chicago fire exam and prep clasees will be given, we have set up phone line at 1-800-989-FIRE.

Sometimes when our e-mails are sent out not everyone receives it. By leaving your name and address on our phone line you will be sure to recieve it in the mail.

Good luck !!

www.fireprep.com
    www.firemanEMTParamedic.com
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-17-2005 at 02:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamie82
    I currently live in the suburbs of chicago and have recently been looking into becoming a firefighter but i am lacking quite a bit of information about requirements of fire departments and the steps to take to become a firefighter and the time frame it will take to do so. I do not have any type of emt traing or firefighter training my chances of the CFD seem slim. Do they require any of this or experience and if so what type of traing, how long does this usually take to get before you can be hired on to a department, what is my best bet to start at a small company and the go big? You guys seem very proffesional and the most likely source for information any and all help would be greatly apprectiated.
    You don't need *****. Just pass the test..

MembersZone Subscriber

The city of Chicago is currently conducting a police exam. I would look for the fire exam announcement right after the police exam is completed.

Don McNea Fire School conducted prep classes for the last Chicago fire exam in 1995. We will again be conducting prep classes for the 2006 exam. If you would like to be contacted by e-mail of the specifics of the exam and when our prep classes will be held, go to the link below and enter your e-mail address. You can also call our office at 1-800-989-FIRE to leave your name and address. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/firefighter...fireman_ .html

www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any idea what the possible agility might be like. Or, does anyone remember or took the last agility and what it was like?

MembersZone Subscriber

They have announced the dates for application and the test. They have also released the requirements. You must be 19 at the time of application, valid drivers license, and you must have your high school diploma or GED. The dates for applications 3/29/06-4/11/06 and you must apply in person. The test dates which are given to you are 5/25/06 and 5/26/06.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mayor Richard M Daley and Fire Commissioner Cortez Trotter today announced details of a new Fire Department entrance exam and urged young men and women to "answer the call" by considering a career as a firefighter-emergency medical technician (EMT).

"The theme of this campaign is 'answer the call' - and itís a high calling," the Mayor said at a news conference at the Fire Department Candidate Graduation at Navy Pier. "It's a job that gives you the opportunity not just to help your fellow human beings, but to actually save their lives. Itís a job that provides plenty of excitement and the satisfaction of working with a team of solid professionals."

Daley added, "We not only want the best-qualified set of applicants. We also want the most diverse set of applicants. We want a Fire Department that looks like Chicago, and that means we want more women and minorities in the ranks."

"I want children in Chicago - regardless of gender or background - to see Chicago firefighters in action and think, "That could be me some day'."

The last firefighter eligibility list was posted in 1995, the last year an exam was administered.

"It is the goal of this Fire Department to never again let a decade go by between tests," said Trotter. "It is our desire from this test forward to have an entrance exam for Chicago Firefighter/EMT every three years."

Registration for the new exam will be between March 29, 2006 and April 11, 2006. The exam will be administered in May.

Trotter outlined a marketing plan that will involve outreach to educational, civic and faith-based organizations in every neighborhood of Chicago and throughout the Midwest.

"We will go wherever ever we can to locate the best and the brightest young people of varied backgrounds who need to hear our message and see what a great department we have to offer," he said.

The outreach will include advertising on billboards, bus shelters, radio and television, as well as a traveling recruiting team, which will hit the streets this week.

Starting salary for a firefighter-EMT is over $44,838 per year with a raise after six months. The job offers competitive benefits, continuing education, reimbursement for college tuition and the opportunity for career advancement.

Trotter challenged young people to "Answer the Call" by signing up at Chicago Public Library branches or on the Internet at www.cityofchicago.org/fire

Candidates must be at least 19 at the time of the exam and have a high school diploma or G.E.D. Applicants need not live in Chicago, but they must reside in the city at the time of employment. Applicants must also be under 35 at the time of appointment.

www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

More detailed infomation can be found at the link below.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...meEnumValue=31

www.fireprep.com

Forum Member

will anyone from chicago send me a PM to possibly answer some questions I have about this process please

MembersZone Subscriber

you must apply in person

Wrong. Online apps are taken

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

There was a past posting by a Chicago firefighter stating that they thought CWH management solutions was giving the next fire exam. They also stated that CWH was doing a job analysis last year by talking to Chicago fireman at their stations.

Can any Chicago fireman verify this ? We are trying to find out who will be the test consultant for the 2006 exam.

www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope it's not chw that test sucks

Forum Member

Default here we go again....

Going to a Pass/Fail only test will be a nightmare, because there will be NO transparency, NO accountability,NO actual list, and NO way of checking to see if the hiring sequence is legitimate.

Otherwise, a perfect world excuse for the City to bypass truly qualified candidates and go back to hiring unqualified minorities and those with clout.

That should ensure the CFD's position as a second rate, progress resistant department for years to come.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CDean867
    Going to a Pass/Fail only test will be a nightmare, because there will be NO transparency, NO accountability,NO actual list, and NO way of checking to see if the hiring sequence is legitimate.

Otherwise, a perfect world excuse for the City to bypass truly qualified candidates and go back to hiring unqualified minorities and those with clout.

That should ensure the CFD's position as a second rate, progress resistant department for years to come.

Who said the test is pass fail?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    Who said the test is pass fail?
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ck=1&cset=true

The City said, that's who.

And the supposed "consternation" of the Mayor and other City officials is nonsense. The top scorers were top scorers not becuae they were white, but because they were CAPABLE - a fact of which the City or the minority- attention loving Mayor fails to realize. This Pass/Fail test will let them pick and choose the CFD of the future, and the citizens of Chicago will be the worse for it.
    Last edited by CDean867; 02-02-2006 at 08:12 PM.

Thread Information