Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by drsifl View Post
    I do hear and understand what you are saying completely. The fact is that the process is not that way so why come on to a message board and just complain about it? I understand you are upset and probably just want to vent it out that you think you are getting screwed or whatever. But you cant change what has happened so complaining isn't going to help. There are a million things that people could complain about this hiring process, BUT it all don't mean anything because it ain't changing.
    I didn't come here TO complain, my first post if you scroll back was to get some information.

Then some guy had the balls to tell me that if I didn't still have my letter and have it laminated like he did then I didn't deserve to be called. I combatted his ridiculous claim with one of my own.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
    I didn't come here TO complain, my first post if you scroll back was to get some information.

Then some guy had the balls to tell me that if I didn't still have my letter and have it laminated like he did then I didn't deserve to be called. I combatted his ridiculous claim with one of my own.
    What about the medic route? Are you young enough to take a few years and do it?
    Last edited by blue2520; 03-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Forum Member

I do hear and understand what you are saying completely. The fact is that the process is not that way so why come on to a message board and just complain about it? I understand you are upset and probably just want to vent it out that you think you are getting screwed or whatever. But you cant change what has happened so complaining isn't going to help. There are a million things that people could complain about this hiring process, BUT it all don't mean anything because it ain't changing.
    I really hope that you are just a troll and looking to start up controversary... Really, since your great granfather put out the great Chicago Fire, you deserve this more than everyone else. That is why I love the testing because it gives other people a chance than people who believe since there Daddy was a FF they should be one also. How did the patronage thing work out for the Strogers? The son was no more qualified to run it than any one of us on this board.

Forum Member

blue why cant i private message you.

Forum Member

blue why cant i private message you.
    no idea....?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    What about the medic route? Are you young enough to take a few years and do it?
    To be honest I'm unfamiliar with "the medic route" I'm turning 27 years old next week....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bagosoxgo View Post
    I really hope that you are just a troll and looking to start up controversary... Really, since your great granfather put out the great Chicago Fire, you deserve this more than everyone else. That is why I love the testing because it gives other people a chance than people who believe since there Daddy was a FF they should be one also. How did the patronage thing work out for the Strogers? The son was no more qualified to run it than any one of us on this board.
    Look man, I'm not here to be a troll or whatever that is. I was just offended by the laminated letter argument that I was using a somewhat sarcastic response of my own. It would be nice if it worked that way, but the random number system is more fair to the general public (except for the minority list, I don't believe in affirmative action). I think my attempt at sarcasm went too far with some of you. If you're laminating your letters from the City of Chicago then it doesn't surprise me how serious you are about this.

My situation is that I've been working in Corporate America the last 4 years out of college and I'm realizing it sucks major donkey dick and I keep getting screwed over by every company I work for. I just want to work hard and get a paycheck I can live off of. I'm not looking to get rich quick, I just want to live a normal life where I don't have to worry about my paycheck and job security at night. The CFD could help some of those worries.

Forum Member

To be honest I'm unfamiliar with "the medic route" I'm turning 27 years old next week....
    Well if I were you i'd call a family meeting and talk about it. I also can't believe that your family hasn't told you that the only way you're going to get on is by getting on the medic side first and crossing over. You have age on your side. Put in the work and you might just get what you want.. Make your family proud. The clock it ticking..

Forum Member

Cdubs,
    your way of thinking is exactly why Chicago and Il is the most corrupt city and state in the USA.

Was Bush the 2nd qualified to be pres of this country because his daddy was?

I bet you voted for blago twice didn't you?
    laminating a letter and/or having a family's worth of FFers in your corner don't qualify you guys for sh_t.
    And as for corp america screwing you over, well that is the way things are done in corp america. live with it and work hard and earn your way to screw others over. That is what you are suggesting happen with the CFD hiring process. You can dish it out but you can't take it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Cdubs,
    your way of thinking is exactly why Chicago and Il is the most corrupt city and state in the USA.

Was Bush the 2nd qualified to be pres of this country because his daddy was?

I bet you voted for blago twice didn't you?
    laminating a letter and/or having a family's worth of FFers in your corner don't qualify you guys for sh_t.
    And as for corp america screwing you over, well that is the way things are done in corp america. live with it and work hard and earn your way to screw others over. That is what you are suggesting happen with the CFD hiring process. You can dish it out but you can't take it.
    It was sarcasm dude, take your zanex. I don't honestly believe I have a right over you to be in the department. No, I didn't vote for Blago. Yes, Chicago is corrupt.

Maybe you should not take this whole thing so seriously because the odds are none of us are going to get called before age 38. I understand you're upset because this may be the only thing you have to hold on to or look forward to in your life, but try to chill out a little bit and recognize when someone isn't being serious.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    Well if I were you i'd call a family meeting and talk about it. I also can't believe that your family hasn't told you that the only way you're going to get on is by getting on the medic side first and crossing over. You have age on your side. Put in the work and you might just get what you want.. Make your family proud. The clock it ticking..
    Basically being a paramedic for a few years and then transfering to the fire department?

Does being a paramedic follow the same testing/random number rules? Is the pay for paramedics enough to live off of?

Forum Member

Wow, some of you guys are way off. It was a random number assigned based on your SS# yea. but if your last numbers are 22 that doesn't mean you are number 22xx. I'm not 100% but i believe it was all about the last number. and i think they started at 9 and are moving to 0-1-2-3 etc. its only luck that the 2's are falling with the 2000's. My last 2 digits are 79 and my random# was 1320's. Besides, if they did it based like that we could only go to random# 9999. Then what? start at the 3rd number out? They do not have a minorities preference that is why they did it based on SS#. The vet preference is to give the vets a better chance since they are already partially trained.. When and if the number 6000 is called, that means the vets around 12,000 will be called. That way it is all luck and this crap about having family doesn't mean anything anymore. I have family too that are CFD, but some say that is not fair to someone who is well qualified and really wants the job but doesn't have a connection.. The only thing wrong with it this way is someone with # 16,769 could be way more qualified for this job than number 203... Sorry, I'm not yelling at anybody, just trying to clear it up a bit. If I'm mistaken please tell me, but this is how i was told it is.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    Wow, some of you guys are way off. It was a random number assigned based on your SS# yea. but if your last numbers are 22 that doesn't mean you are number 22xx. I'm not 100% but i believe it was all about the last number. and i think they started at 9 and are moving to 0-1-2-3 etc. its only luck that the 2's are falling with the 2000's. My last 2 digits are 79 and my random# was 1320's. Besides, if they did it based like that we could only go to random# 9999. Then what? start at the 3rd number out? They do not have a minorities preference that is why they did it based on SS#. The vet preference is to give the vets a better chance since they are already partially trained.. When and if the number 6000 is called, that means the vets around 12,000 will be called. That way it is all luck and this crap about having family doesn't mean anything anymore. I have family too that are CFD, but some say that is not fair to someone who is well qualified and really wants the job but doesn't have a connection.. The only thing wrong with it this way is someone with # 16,769 could be way more qualified for this job than number 203... Sorry, I'm not yelling at anybody, just trying to clear it up a bit. If I'm mistaken please tell me, but this is how i was told it is.
    You are saying it how it is.

Forum Member

And, at the bottom of that first letter that said you passed the test, it says in BOLD, KEEP THIS NOTICE FOR YOUR RECORDS... Now, I think laminating it is a little too far, but telling people they are no longer qualified because they lost it is absurd. Should you have kept it? yes. Does it matter, no, because otherwise they would have asked you to bring it with your interest card.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by seditiondp View Post
    That's what my family has been telling me, they started at 9 and have been going 9-0-1-2-3 and but I've heard everything for what number they're on. I've been told they're on 3, and I've heard they've just started the 0's, who really knows at this point.

I'm heading down to city hall right now and I'll try to pry for some answers, but even then who knows if they're telling the truth or even know how it works.

The only thing I'm confused on is that the test was 2006, it's been 10 years since the 1995 test before that. Someone said they don't want to take 10 years between tests again, so we're almost 5 years into this process and it sounds like we're not even half way through, how is this NOT going to be a 10 year process? It doesn't make sense to me.

Forum Member

I think anyone that wants to vent and b_tch about this hiring process has every right to. Think about how ridiculous it is to hold a 7th grade level test for 20,000 people and call it pass/fail. The bottom line is that not all 20,000 want the job equally. A guy like cdubs would kill to have the oppourtunity to work for CFD, but some guy out of state that FORGOT he even took the test gets in ahead of him. And think about what that says about the years of work that his Dad, Uncles, Grandfather put in. It is horrible for them too. I tested in a suburb of Chicago where my father and grandfather worked their whole careers and I honestly believe the bloodline HURT my chances. My father was devastated. See, clout is bad when it brings unqualified people through the door, but in a job like this, clout just means more accountability. I'm not saying that cdubs should be a handed a job, but he should have a better chance than a random SS#

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daaaabears View Post
    I think anyone that wants to vent and b_tch about this hiring process has every right to. Think about how ridiculous it is to hold a 7th grade level test for 20,000 people and call it pass/fail. The bottom line is that not all 20,000 want the job equally. A guy like cdubs would kill to have the oppourtunity to work for CFD, but some guy out of state that FORGOT he even took the test gets in ahead of him. And think about what that says about the years of work that his Dad, Uncles, Grandfather put in. It is horrible for them too. I tested in a suburb of Chicago where my father and grandfather worked their whole careers and I honestly believe the bloodline HURT my chances. My father was devastated. See, clout is bad when it brings unqualified people through the door, but in a job like this, clout just means more accountability. I'm not saying that cdubs should be a handed a job, but he should have a better chance than a random SS#
    It should be best man for the job. Plain and simple. Score the tests, do physical tests, and the best scores get put at the top and are called first. That's how America was founded, that's how it should be.

Forum Member

It should be best man for the job. Plain and simple. Score the tests, do physical tests, and the best scores get put at the top and are called first. That's how America was founded, that's how it should be.
    That's the one part I don't understand. Why can't they have the tests be pass fail, but then use the results to rank everyone. If they did that in 1995, they wouldn't even be involved with this lawsuit issue, where they said, you people passed and then months later told them that they were moving it up to needing over a 89 on it. They should have just ranked everyone by their scores, meaning those above 89 were first and then just sent people letters with their numbers and that's it. I just don't get why the city couldn't have done that and i think the way they're doing it now is because of all the crap they got themselves into from the 95 test.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going to speak as an OUT OF STATER for a minute, but also someone who has been a firemen for 9 years. First of all in my opinion if you took the CFD test and forgot about it your a D-BAG! Put it on the back burner ya. Forgot no. Second I agree if you have family on the job there are perks that you enjoy because of that but it only goes so far in my book. Unless you have a LODD in your family. Also I want to try to explain this out of state thing. The cities like Chicago, NY, Philly Boston, Baltimore have very old Fire Departments who are very rich in tradition. These FD's built the fire service in the U.S. There the best in the world! They have things that most other FD's don't have. These places also present some of the most unique and tough situations to fight fires and make rescues. For me thats just a couple of reasons why I took the test and want to be a Chicago Firemen. It's not that I'm trying to take a job away from someone who lives there. It's like making it to the majors for me! Thats my 2 cents

Forum Member

Forgot about the test is one thing, I personally never FORGOT, I just have moved so many times to different apts in Chicago the last 4 years I misplaced my letter. It happens. We're in a technological age, I keep all my important info and documents on my computer or a disc.

Maybe right when I took the test I was on the fence about whether I'd be a fireman in the future as I just graduated college and was starting a new job at a fortune 500 company, things looked like they were going well already.

I just got back from City Hall where I requested a duplicate copy of my letter. The person in charge wasn't in, but I was given her direct phone line and she may even email me a copy of my letter. The assistant was able to tell me they are on the 2500's for numbers right now, and that's all she knew, but I can call the main contact tomorrow and ask more questions if I want.

I don't know know what's goin on with the SSN#'s, but I'm eager to find out my number and see where I'm at. I'll shoot myself if they've passed my number, but the address I listed is my Aunt's house and she's never gotten a letter for me in 4 years since I moved out and they've never called me by phone and I've had the same number for 10 years, so I doubt I missed my chance.

Forum Member

It was sarcasm dude, take your zanex. I don't honestly believe I have a right over you to be in the department. No, I didn't vote for Blago. Yes, Chicago is corrupt.

Maybe you should not take this whole thing so seriously because the odds are none of us are going to get called before age 38. I understand you're upset because this may be the only thing you have to hold on to or look forward to in your life, but try to chill out a little bit and recognize when someone isn't being serious.
    Sad thing is that it prob wasn't really sarcasm and you really did mean it until everyone started jumping down your throat and you suddenly started singing a new tune.
    You have no idea how serious or not I take this whole thing, or what else I have going on in my life. Don't speculate because you make an a s s out of yourself. Truth be told, this would be a great job to get, but if I wasn't to get it, then so be it. I have served my country honorably, I have a career (in corp america), and I have a family. That is plenty to hold me over.

And as far as none of us getting called before the age of 38, what the hell are you talking about? Several thousand have been called and several hundred have been accepted. If you really belive that, then why even bother?

You sound like a bitter person that feels he wasted time and money on a college degree, expecting things to turn out better than they have. It is very rare that someone comes right out of college and has nothing to worry about, and you are obviously no exception. Open your eyes man, nothing is handed to you, you must earn everything you get.

You are the sort of person that makes me want to invent something that can stab people in the face over the interent

THE END

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Sad thing is that it prob wasn't really sarcasm and you really did mean it until everyone started jumping down your throat and you suddenly started singing a new tune.
    You have no idea how serious or not I take this whole thing, or what else I have going on in my life. Don't speculate because you make an a s s out of yourself. Truth be told, this would be a great job to get, but if I wasn't to get it, then so be it. I have served my country honorably, I have a career (in corp america), and I have a family. That is plenty to hold me over.

And as far as none of us getting called before the age of 38, what the hell are you talking about? Several thousand have been called and several hundred have been accepted. If you really belive that, then why even bother?

You sound like a bitter person that feels he wasted time and money on a college degree, expecting things to turn out better than they have. It is very rare that someone comes right out of college and has nothing to worry about, and you are obviously no exception. Open your eyes man, nothing is handed to you, you must earn everything you get.

You are the sort of person that makes me want to invent something that can stab people in the face over the interent

THE END
    Wow, you're the bitter one dude, take a look back at what you wrote. I was being sarcastic, and I admitted I took it too far, maybe you should try to re-invent the mirror and take a look in it.

Stay out of Chicago with that attitude.

Forum Member

Wow, you're the bitter one dude, take a look back at what you wrote. I was being sarcastic, and I admitted I took it too far, maybe you should try to re-invent the mirror and take a look in it.

Stay out of Chicago with that attitude.

Lets put some water on the flame. We are wasting space here

Forum Member

Basically being a paramedic for a few years and then transfering to the fire department?

Does being a paramedic follow the same testing/random number rules? Is the pay for paramedics enough to live off of?
    Paramedics make waay more than firefighters cause we are constantly getting overtime due to always being understaffed. You're running 20 calls a day but you also get 3 days off inbetween. Same union, same everything. The FD isn't like it was 30 yrs ago as far as firefighters hating paramedics. Probably 20% of the firefighters are crossovers. I had a random number of around 13,000 and got on as a medic about a year ago. I already took my physical agility to crossover and will probably crossover in about a year or so. You can say it's backdooring your way in but I look at as the people getting on now are no more deserving as the guys that are 13,000 or so. Medics also get 7% more pay when they crossover. You can hate EMS or you can learn to embrace it cause that's the way the chicago fire dept. is heading. Good Luck with everything, and hope you get a call soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cdubs...no offense but you joined this forum a couple of days ago and asked questions that have been answered many times in the previous 256 pages. You're new and it's cool to ask, I did at one point in 2006. However, many people on this board are very helpful when questions need to be answered and it isn't a good idea to **** them off.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a good weekend.

Thread Information