Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Any new news? Did they start the physical tests yet for some people?

Forum Member

Default chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

I called human resourses yesterday, to try to get some info. They were no help. The lady just told me I'll have to wait until they call me. My social ends in 9 and my number is in the 1300's. I was just trying to see where I stand. So hopefully we hear something. Anybody heard any rumors if there going strait down the list or if there going to do the 1 every 3 or however many people they skip?

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by JMM182 View Post
    I called human resourses yesterday, to try to get some info. They were no help. The lady just told me I'll have to wait until they call me. My social ends in 9 and my number is in the 1300's. I was just trying to see where I stand. So hopefully we hear something. Anybody heard any rumors if there going strait down the list or if there going to do the 1 every 3 or however many people they skip?
    Just sit back and relax..enjoy the ride if you will. It may be a LONG time before you hear anything.

Forum Member

I mean for argument sake lets say they start at #1 and call people for the physical from there. I wonder how many will take the physical in the first wave. Like what, Numbers 1 to 3000? 6000? I mean they clearly arn't going to just test numbers 1 to 500 first, its just not realistic. They are going to have to test a large chunk and project how many they will need certified (both written and physical) by the time the list expires. IE: They may test numbers 1 to 10000 just so they are on record as being on the list so in 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 years they have people who passed both portions of the test who they can hire. Lets face it, they arn't going to call someone 5 years from now to take the physical for a test, they are going to do it now and have it on record. Are they going to test the whole 16 or 17k people that passed (or whatever it was)? Prob not, but they should....... Ideas? Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chicago Fire Dept

Hello,
    I missed the out on applying/taking the exam last year. I know it took like 15 yrs up until last year for an exam to take place, any idea on how long it will be until the next exam goes out??? Thanks for the help. Good luck to all that passed and are going through the hiring process.

Forum Member

atl05trw2179: The last time the department tested was around 1995 (i think), they went a LONG time as you can see hiring off a VERY old list. I think there was a press release saying that the city wanted to step up the hiriing process like other large cities. I recall reading something about a new test every 5 years or something along those lines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NVetro View Post
    atl05trw2179: The last time the department tested was around 1995 (i think), they went a LONG time as you can see hiring off a VERY old list. I think there was a press release saying that the city wanted to step up the hiriing process like other large cities. I recall reading something about a new test every 5 years or something along those lines.

Thanks for the info...Five years, huh? I'll be too old by then, unfortunately. I'll be turning 28, in five years that makes 33, you have to test at 30 or 31 for Chicago, I think? I could be wrong.

Forum Member

They are still working off of the 1995 list. Class in the academy is graduating in mid Feb. No new classes starting, that is known of. The age limit is 38 (which was changed from 35 per the city council after the announcement stating 35 was distributed). Haven't done anymore processing from the 2006 list besides "you passed the written". No physicals, no backgrounds, nothing else!
    They stated that they want to test every 3 years. Don't think that's going to happen since they haven't done any further processing off of a list that they started last May.

Forum Member

Does anybody know of any good web sites for chicago info on the department like operational, responses, work schedule's, pay scale, any and all info is welcome. I'm in the process and don't know a whole lot about the department. Any help is appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

www.5-11club.org is a decent place to start.

Bobby

Forum Member

Default Suburbs

Is it easy to transfer from a suburban department to the CFD? Should applicants for the Chicago Fire Department be testing at suburban departments and trying to gain experience at a suburb while they wait for their number to be called? I would like to end up with the CFD, but have a strong desire to serve as a firefighter now - and don't want to just sit back and wait. Thoughts? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMedic View Post
    They are still working off of the 1995 list. Class in the academy is graduating in mid Feb. No new classes starting, that is known of. The age limit is 38 (which was changed from 35 per the city council after the announcement stating 35 was distributed). Haven't done anymore processing from the 2006 list besides "you passed the written". No physicals, no backgrounds, nothing else!
    They stated that they want to test every 3 years. Don't think that's going to happen since they haven't done any further processing off of a list that they started last May.

No kiddin' -- any extra time for military service?

Just trying to draw to an inside straight
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

I don't think they have an guys in the academy
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Forum Member

Hey JoeyT1986....the class that is currently in the academy is from the 1995 list. They will be graduating in about the next month. They have not started anyone else from the 1995 list, but the group that is in is still from the 1995 list. Don't know what's going on from there.

It looks hot in there

Hey JoeyT1986....the class that is currently in the academy is from the 1995 list. They will be graduating in about the next month. They have not started anyone else from the 1995 list, but the group that is in is still from the 1995 list. Don't know what's going on from there.
    I actually heard the same from a former co-worker.....so....do I dare call shenanigans? Either way, let's not get all worked up..if you get called soon then good, if not..just keep plugging away at other tests. If you get hired elsewhere, you can still go to work for CFD. Let's quit crying about racism this, and numbers that, and you all don't know anything, blah, blah, blah. I honestly figure that if this list goes for 10 years I should get hired sometime about 2012. I can wait that long for a career with the CFD.

Forum Member

hmmm....thanks for clearing that up
    Last edited by JoeyT1986; 10-20-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Forum Member

Talking Other cities hiring

Does anyone know of any other cities that are hiring right now? Looks like the CFD won't be calling anyone anytime soon so I need to check any other options. Thanks!

Forum Member

check out the thread on Memphis,TN hiring

Forum Member

I know a guy in the 100's and he hasn't heard anything. Anyone else hear any word?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

I havent heard anything from the city but I talked to a member assigned to the fire academy and he said that in fact there is a class in the academy right now from the 95 list that will graduate in Feb. and in March he said one last class from 95 will go in. That was the first time I heard that one but those are his words, not mine. I am assuming the last class he is referring is made up of those who won their lawsuit.

MembersZone Subscriber

I figure my best luck is to take my 20 year pension at my current fire job in about 15 years and then go work for the CFD since that is about the time I will get hired

Forum Member

Default Latest on CFD Academy

Here is the latest from what I have gathered. The present class, from the 1995 test, graduates February 14, 2007. They began in August and have not had a class since. Other parts of that group, that started processing in May 2006, are in various stages of processing. Some went as far as the stress test (final stage) and did not get into the Academy. ALL processing of this group stopped in late September, 2006. This group, which the city has spent tens of thousands of dollars processing, probably will not enter the Academy. Meanwhile, a short-handed CFD pays thousands more in overtime since the city needs to cover the shortage from not having recruits in 11/2006 or 2/2007 and a small class in August 2006.

So far as the class-action lawsuit, the judge in that case has not made a decision yet as to damages. The city is probably waiting to see what the judge decides to figure out what to do next. The lawsuit asks for employment as well as back pay/seniority, so the city will have it's hands full dealing with this and what to do. Allow the lawsuit damages and face possible lawsuits from existing firefighters who would now have less seniority/pay than the class-action recruits? Appeal the decision and the damages?

The 2006 test-takers have not been contacted (just repeating what's here, I know) so not sure who is going in next. Curious that a November class from the 1995 test would have been 3 months from graduating now and could maybe help alleviate some staffing issues. As it is now, a graduating class from the 2006 or lawsuit class is minimum 9 months away, probably a year. Anyways, some decision will come soon, most likely after the judge decides damages.

Forum Member

thanks alot for the post heavy69 man i was really hoping we'd hear somethin this month

MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Forum Member

Default Age

65? I'll be 70 in 2051.

Thread Information