Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Not sure if anyone would know this but I'll give it a shot. If you are in the service and Chicago were to offfer a firefighting exam, which I know could be in years, is there anyway you could take the test at your base or work out some sort of arrangement? Thanks for anybodys help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Andy

Your best bet would be to take leave from your base to attend the testing. I can't say I have heard of anything special in the testing locations for Military.

I served in the Airforce myself, you in or just thinking out loud?

Forum Member

I'm seriously considering enlisting in the Air Force. My dad is on the job in Boston and he tells me in Boston they mail the civil service test to your superior officer then he/she acts as the proctor. I know taking leave would be my best bet but I wasn't sure how my chances were of putting in for a specific leave and getting that approved. What was your experience of the Air Force?

Forum Member

As of now, the city is intending on offering a testing opportunity, once a year for the duration of the new entrance exam (from 2006) to the individuals who were in active duty when the tests were offered last year (May 25 and 26 I believe). If you pass the written exam, you will be lumped in with the approximately 18,000 people who passed the exam. You will then be processed as everyone else. They still have yet to do further processing on anyone from the 2006 list and no one is talking about an upcoming class: academy, personnel, or city personnel. Processing numbers, it appears, were based on reverse social security with the last digit of your social being a "9" as the people who got the low numbers of the "random number" that is being used for hiring with 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. following.

Lot of people sitting on a list that they have done nothing with. The academies are empty starting this next week. Will they keep hiring from the 1995 list with 40 or 50 year olds? Will they start processing people off of the new list? Unknown.

BTW. The city has announced that they are accepting applications for single role paramedics for the fire department. This is the third time in seven years. Guess which is the easier way to get hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMedic View Post
    As of now, the city is intending on offering a testing opportunity, once a year for the duration of the new entrance exam (from 2006) to the individuals who were in active duty when the tests were offered last year (May 25 and 26 I believe). If you pass the written exam, you will be lumped in with the approximately 18,000 people who passed the exam. You will then be processed as everyone else. They still have yet to do further processing on anyone from the 2006 list and no one is talking about an upcoming class: academy, personnel, or city personnel. Processing numbers, it appears, were based on reverse social security with the last digit of your social being a "9" as the people who got the low numbers of the "random number" that is being used for hiring with 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. following.

Lot of people sitting on a list that they have done nothing with. The academies are empty starting this next week. Will they keep hiring from the 1995 list with 40 or 50 year olds? Will they start processing people off of the new list? Unknown.

BTW. The city has announced that they are accepting applications for single role paramedics for the fire department. This is the third time in seven years. Guess which is the easier way to get hired?
    Yeah, backdooring is easier. Is that your angle? Trying to back door your way on?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Default Backdooring

I guess if backdooring your way in with the CFD as a medic, then crossing over is the easiest way, I would imagine this Paramedic list will have a ton more applicants than usual. Is this frowned upon? I wouldn't imagine, but I don't know how the FF's feel about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medic

Does anyone know how to apply for Chicago Fire as a medic. I didn't see anything on the official website. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jamin

MembersZone Subscriber

Andy,

I guess it would depend on the job you take. I was in avionics maintenance, I worked on C-130 aircraft. I was an instruments/autopilot/navigations tech. I was stationed in Little Rock, AR. I got out due to the fact we were a high deployment squadron, and if I reinlisted I was probably getting transferred.

I had a great time while I was in, however looking back I may not have chosen that job specialty. I would probably been a airfield firefighter or in law enforcement.

Forum Member

City is taking applications for medic until March 6. See the thread under "EMS General" on Chicago Fire Department in Firehouse forums. Must be a paramedic in order to apply.

Forum Member

I don't want to start any false rumors but I heard from a friend of a friend that someone in the low 100's got a call from the fire department about a week ago. Anyone else hear anything like that?

Forum Member

Nope. Haven't done any physicals or called out for anyone to report.

Forum Member

There will be no answers for awhile until the lawsuit against the city is finalized. Just sit back and relax, its going to be awhile. Lewis Firefighter Case

Latest News

On December 12, 2006 we finished submitting damages evidence in the case. We will file proposed findings and conclusions of law with the Court on 12/19; the City and union will respond on 1/4/07; and we will reply on 1/11/07. Then we will wait for the Judge to rule on damages issues. Once she has done so, we expect that the City will appeal all issues (both damages and liability) to the Court of Appeals.

Background on Remedy Issues: On June 1, 2006 our trial court judge, Judge Gottschall, ruled on our request that she order immediate remedial hiring. The judge declined to order immediate remedial hiring, and instead ordered the parties to finish discovery as to all remedy issues, for example, how much back pay and how many remedial hires are owed to the class.

Lewis Firefighter Case Background

The Chicago Lawyers’ Committee filed a lawsuit in 1998 which argued that the Chicago Fire Department's use of a very high cut score on the 1995 firefighter entrance exam discriminated against African Americans. We filed the case on behalf of African Americans who scored between 65 and 89 on the test. There are nearly 7,000 African Americans in the plaintiff class.

On March 22, 2005 Judge Gottschall ruled that the City's use of the 89 cut score on the 1995 test was discriminatory. Specifically, the judge held that the City had not shown that the 1995 test effectively measured the skills it was supposed to measure (like the ability to learn from demonstration) or that performance on the 1995 test predicted performance in the Fire Academy or on the job. She also found that performance on the video portion of the 1995 exam hinged on one's ability to take notes--an ability that was not important to being a good firefighter.

What does this mean? We have won the most important part of the case, but the case is not over. The City may choose to appeal Judge Gottschall's decision. If it does, we will defend Judge Gottschall's decision in the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. It will likely take six months or longer to brief the appeal and to get a decision. If we win in the Seventh Circuit, we will still need to have a hearing before Judge Gottschall to determine what remedy is proper. We have argued that a proper remedy should include both back pay and jobs.

No decision has been made as to who will get any back pay or jobs provided in a remedy. Those decisions will be made by the judge, after the City's appeal has been decided. If settlement discussions occur, the parties will negotiate over these back pay and hiring issues. At the moment, no settlement negotiations are taking place.
    Judges opinion http://www.clccrul.org/templates/Use...inion32205.pdf

Any ideas about who the city is going to hire in the meantime while this lawsuit is settled? What about the group off the '95 list that was ready to go into the academy last November? I can't imagine the academy empty for the next 6 months or more while the city appeals the judge's decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wounder out of the 69-89... how many were white? Probably about the same number.

And by saying that.... 89 is discrimnating against blacks.... does that mean that whites then are then smarter?

Wouldnt that be something that they would not want to imply?

Forum Member

The reason why
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 10-20-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Forum Member

Default Why?

Why is it that there are still people out there who still believe racism is non-existent? Or still have stereotypical views of black people?

Forum Member

.wfewfewfefwe
    Last edited by bugsy2007; 10-20-2007 at 02:56 PM.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by Toyamsu View Post
    Why is it that there are still people out there who still believe racism is non-existent? Or still have stereotypical views of black people?
    Sadly enough, many still are able to fufill those sterotypes, and do it well. I work in an area that is very poor. It's not uncommon to see several high school aged kids wandering the streets during school hours. Little to no importance is placed on education, or improving ones living conditions in these areas...or so it would seem from my experience. It's been almost an entire year since the test...and still nothing. I wonder how many will actually proceed if they are called.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bugsy2007 View Post
    Thats an easy one. If we lived in a world that judged you by performance, skills and qualifications instead of the color of one's skin you probably wouldn't have these problems. Problem is certain people don't have to be qualified to get a job or get a promotion in any profession. They just have to be non-white. Just like the law suit says.
    Or they have to be white in order to be treated "fairly".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Let's not go there...

This is a discussion regarding the Chicago Fire Deprartment and the recruitment process. Let's not start a thread that is based soley on discrimination of a particular race, gender or obvious nepotism (despite that being the apparent theme of the fire service's hiring priorities). Let's keep this about the process of being hired as a Chicago firefighter. This is a great job in a great city despite what some people may say. I am a career firefighter... and my sights are on joining a even greater department. Stay focused and be safe out there brother and sister firefighters! - Brian
    Last edited by bantigio; 03-05-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

Question Any Info?

A bit of a bump here, but just curious if any word has come out lately. Every day I hear some new "info", but nothing concrete. I find it hard to believe that the city still has not had a class in since August (a small class at that!) when people have already been processed. I know all about the lawsuit, but the city knew they lost since March 2005. Why spend the money to process those from the 1995 test, take a small group and stop? I'm sure they are paying a lot in overtime (I've talked to some fireman) so why haven't they processed the people that started from the 1995 test or started taking the 2006 exam people? Waiting for the damages from the judge makes little sense since the city probably will appeal anyways - all this hush hush and secrecy is frustrating. Are we trying to join the Fire Department or the freakin' Freemasons?

MembersZone Subscriber

Are we trying to join the Fire Department or the freakin' Freemasons?

To get hired on CFD, you have to know the secret handshake

[QUOTE=heavy69;783200]A bit of a bump here, but just curious if any word has come out lately. Every day I hear some new "info", but nothing concrete. QUOTE]

Heavy69, what new info have you heard lately? It sounds like you're in the same boat as me waiting for any piece of info or rumor concerning the group off the '95 list that was processed last year. I haven't heard anything in awhile from the guys I talk to in the Dept. other than "maybe" or "we don't know yet." I can't believe it's March and the city still hasn't made a decision yet. If they're not going use us at least tell us now and let us move on with our lives.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavy69 View Post
    I'm sure they are paying a lot in overtime (I've talked to some fireman)
    Really? I havent moved up even one space on the rehire list in six months. I wish I knew where all this OT was happening.
    all this hush hush and secrecy is frustrating. Are we trying to join the Fire Department or the freakin' Freemasons?
    Everything is a friggen secret on this job. And it is frustrating, but worth it in the end. If you do get hired you will still be saying the exact same thing! I'm on furlough right now but as far as I know no one has heard a thing. The last class that was in from '95 graduated in February and I haven't heard anything about that class that was supposed to go in November and got held.

Joining the freemasons is easy..........................
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

My brother only moved up 3 spots on the rehire list in 6 months. So i dont think over-time is a problem the city is worried about.
    I think the academy is empty because the city is preparing itself for alot of mandatory hires off the discrimination lawsuit. More then likely the cfd will have to run them through first (court orders), then start on the 06 list. This will allow them to move more quickly to the 06 list which i'm sure they want to get started as soon as possible. Actually this would be best case scenario for those waiting on the list. Just my opinion.

Thread Information