Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 557 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373123523 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicagomojo76
    Minorities have had doors shut in their face on a daily basis for years because of the color of their skin or because of an ethnic sounding name.
    You mean like Murphy, O'Neill, or Walsh?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think the city feels minorities are substandard and unqualified, I believe that the city knows that patronage hiring and racial discrimination still exists. The only way to be sure that minorities aren't unfairly being left out of city job opportunities is to have a hiring requirement.
    So the city in the interest of increasing the number of persons from a certain race(doesn't matter what race), manipulates what could be a realtively blind hiring system that hires based on the merits of said canidates...solely on job related criteria...basic intelligence and mechanical apptitude along with physical strength and endurance...and instead base it on either random numbering(which devalues the efforts of those who worked hard to excell and studied hard in school, stay out of jail..etc.) or some racial preference where two or more lists are simulatneously promulgated or outright preferences for certain persons over others based on race or gender,used to "balance" out the hiring as if race had anything to do with the job.

And once again they promote these ideas the intent and knowledge that it will in all likelyhood increase the number of persons from one race getting hired...over persons of other races...

How again is this not morally and ethically repulsive?

Is this what the civil rights movement was all about? Or have some racial hucksters taken practicing demagoguery to a new level and too many are all to willing to become willing accomplices to their subterfuge of the general populace.

Do you think your favorite MLB, NFL or NBA team should be also basing their selections for new players in the draft or in trades based on their racial background? Now how absurd is that? Would anyone even be taken seriously if they approached this subject with the concepts you and apparently the racist politicans of Chicago agree on?

Just because we don't agree doesn't mean I'm wrong. I just see things differently. I have been the victim of racism and it doesn't feel good. I wish race had nothing to do with hiring practice, but it does, for better and worse.
    Race has nothing to do with this job or any other for that matter. Wasn't that the argument of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.? I suppose his ideals are only a convience for you if they suit your mood for the day?

What an abslolute disgrace some of you people are and how ashamed you should be for actually asposuing such notions. I suppose if we had your address we could send you an application for your local KKK chapter...you and them apparently have alot in common.

God help this country.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    You mean like Murphy, O'Neill, or Walsh?
    African Americans also have the last names Murphy, O'Neill and Walsh. The difference is that their names didn't come from their ancestors, they came from their slave owners.

All of you need to step back and think about what you're saying. You sound like a bunch of racist fools. Worry about yourself. Do the best you can if you get called. I'm done here, and I hope I never have the displeasure of ever working with you.

African Americans also have the last names Murphy, O'Neill and Walsh. The difference is that their names didn't come from their ancestors, they came from their slave owners.

Now, that is funny. This is a typical comment coming from someone like him

Forum Member

I'm done here, and I hope I never have the displeasure of ever working with you.
    Don't worry, you probably won't. You'll get run out of every house you go to with an attitude like that, victim........
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Angry

You know what, this whole subject makes me laugh and is really a reflection of the direction our country is heading.
    A couple friends and I went and took the test. Im in the 14,000's, and one of my buddies is just over 300. We have taken this same test, only a much harder version about 5 or six times now. Each time i have scored a 92 or better, and any local 8th grader could have passed this test, what a joke. Like someone said before, I didnt do my homework on the historic hiring practices of the CFD, I just kinda figured that a department with the rich history and tradition would want only the best people to join them. The fire service as a whole has become a breeding ground for reverse discrinination and unfair hiring practices. I am a young, fit, white male FF/Medic who keeps his mouth shut (unlike some people on this forum and in the service already.) Its sad that myself and other already qualified people who are willing to make the service a better place are passed over for these supposed minorities who "dont have a fair chance." What about my D@MN FAIR CHANCE?? Do you see anything fair about myself bieng passed over for a minoity (female, black, brown, purple, who cares, ...) who is hired only to pad the #'s for some extra federal $$?? I wish I could show you all the letter I recieved from a local dept. for a full time position that said "We don't feel you fit the profile of this department at this time." Well you know what the "profile of the dept. is? They have a white woman for a chief, and are mostly black males and females. Isint that a joke! According to some of you, I should have gotten the job to make it equeal right, isint that your logic?????
    I just cant wait to see the failure rate of these "qualified" people that try and pass registry. Oh, wait a min, they give that test in house @ the academy right. Im sure that will be graded fairly too...

MembersZone Subscriber

All of you need to step back and think about what you're saying. You sound like a bunch of racist fools. Worry about yourself. Do the best you can if you get called. I'm done here, and I hope I never have the displeasure of ever working with you.
    The only racist fool here is you. As evidenced that you won't address any of the questions posed to you. All everyone wants is a blind exam that ranks persons according to the merit and fitness for the job. That is very easy to do...however Chicago would rather continue the tradition of patronage and bias in hiring. Patronage that seeks to hire more of one race over another is wrong in any light and is racist in theory & in practice.

So only blacks who decended from slaves are true minorities, is that your argument? What about the Blacks and other minorities who's families have immigrated since 1964 when the immigration laws changed? NYC is full of them and I'm sure Chicago is no different. Are they "less" of a minority than those who can claim roots in this country before 1860s? Reminds me of the Know Nothing movement early in this countries history. I guess some blacks are blacker than others in your book?

As for all the Irish slave owners...you are completely ignorant of the history of this country and who owned slaves and who didn't.

Boo hoo is me. Guess what...my last name is different because my grandfather had a hard time getting a job with an ethinic name, and changed it to a more american sounding name. And I'M WHITE!(although at one time not long ago my national background had my family counted among the lowest in society)

Did I whine and complain like a woman with s*nd in her v*g*ina? No. Like a man I made something of myself.

Stop being such a g*dd*mned p*ssy and go out there and achive something for yourself without looking to make excuses or blame some events that in reality never affected you directly any more than my grandfathers experience affected me.

You are a coward and a disgrace to this country and its ideals. You have today as much opportunity as anyone else and the only thing holding you back is your own ambition.

Stop being a victim and be a man for godsake!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

As crappy as the first part of the process is guys, a lot of this is not going to matter in the physical, med or background. If you can't meet the requirements, you won't get in; the same is true with the fire academy. If you can't perform and accomplish what is asked of you, I guarantee you those instructors will not let you out on the street, protected status be damned! The fire academy is tough, you will be stretched to cram and retain a lot of info, along with working your butt off in p.t. or drills. If any of us are lucky enough to make it to the academy, it won't matter where we came from or who we knew; you will do the job.

Edit: BTW today is the anni of the Great Chicago Fire.
    Last edited by Peekay; 10-08-2006 at 09:28 AM.

Forum Member

new to forum. does anyone know as of now if the number assigned to us is strictly random? i.e. can # 15000 get called before #15? thank you

Forum Member

also, has anyone heard of any new paramedic academies starting?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    You never know who's reading, do you jagoff.
    rightttttt like they can really trace it back to me. and if they are who really cares all they are doin is reading they cant disqualify someone because of what u say on a message board

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by northsidesox24
    new to forum. does anyone know as of now if the number assigned to us is strictly random? i.e. can # 15000 get called before #15? thank you
    yes 15000 can get called before 15

Forum Member

thanks for your reply anthony, is that speculation or is it pretty credible?

Forum Member

Your number was assigned by the last number of your social security #. If you end in 0 you are the first 1000. If you have 15000 your number ends 7 8 or 9. The number you have is a process number. The might start at 6. Nobody knows.

Forum Member

thanks for your reply anthony, is that speculation or is it pretty credible?
    speculation just because of how they assigned random numbers i mean it only makes sense. no one knows for sure not even real firefighters

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyT
    speculation just because of how they assigned random numbers i mean it only makes sense. no one knows for sure not even real firefighters
    As opposed to fake firefighters....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyT
    yes 15000 can get called before 15
    Where did you hear that from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beeballs
    Your number was assigned by the last number of your social security #. If you end in 0 you are the first 1000. If you have 15000 your number ends 7 8 or 9. The number you have is a process number. The might start at 6. Nobody knows.

not exactly true... mine ends in 9 and im in the 1600s

Forum Member

As opposed to fake firefighters....
    as i did say speculation........

Forum Member

your speculation is wrong. my ss# ends with 9, and my random # is in the upper 2,000 range. they did not start at 0 and work down to 9. who knows what they did.

Thread Information