Like Tree294Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

  1. #5726
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keefus View Post
    So you're giving up because things are not going how you like?
    I am not giving up on the job. I am lready a career firefighter and absolutely love it. I work on a smaller Dept on the southside of chicago. Getting hired on CFD would just be a change of venue, and pay raise. I couldn't give a s.h.i.t about the money. I have always wanted to be on the CFD. I am just hearing a ton of stuff from guys on the city that is not good, and this situation is just making me question things even more. Maybe just venting !! I know that I love Chicago, and the CFD, but I HATE all this black white S.H.I.T and thats what I am questioning about the CFD. Everyone has to make their own decision, and not on what they "like", but on what is right..... for themselves!!

  2. #5727
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    I give up on worrying about this stuff.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:51 PM.

  3. #5728
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Good luck to everyone in Chicago from Ohio. I am thinking about moving there if I cant land a job in Ohio but by the looks of things, its all up in the air.

  4. #5729
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    26

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    I give up on worrying about this stuff. Starting my third year this Fall for a Bachelor of Nursing degree. Hopefully the CFD job will be waiting for me when I come out in two years. Ever since I took the 2006 exam and got my number (2300's), I knew that it might be a coin toss. My buddy who tested with me had like #300 and has been on for quite a while. I am happy for him, and anyone else who landed this gig without having to cry, or sue for it.
    good for you harry, i just finished RN school 2wks ago, never thought i'd finish since i got my interest card after my 1st semester, but kept plugging my way thru classes/clinicals as i have waited out this process. Guess in the meantime i'll be a nurse. Good Luck with school, it flies by

  5. #5730
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    112 must be hired and go through the academy according to the ruling. No place in the ruling does it say what happens if someone turns the job down, etc.. I put a link up that has the ruling one page back. Give it a read.
    I read some info at the Fireside Chat boards that kind of makes sense. Here is a post from one of the members:

    "The city has 90 days to mail out interest cards and come up with a list based on what's returned. They will also have to put an ad in the trib and times. If they don't get close to the 6000 or enough to sastify the court the city will be required to hire a skiptracer to locate as many as they can. They will also be able to mail the cards to personal due to the cour waving the mandatory turning of the cards in person requirement. Then the city has up to 190 days to hold the lotto and to start processing them. They have to offer jobs till they get 112 that except the job and pass all the pre-employment tests. The city has up to 24 months from the time the award is final to have this group START an academy class. They have to all be in the same class and will have a monitor over see the tranning and to "provide support for any special needs due to the candidates being up in age or life experiences that might effect them during training". They will have to submit to all pre-employment tests the were given in 1995. That means no hair test, etc.. once the group starts the academy the city will then have 6 months to payout the rest of the 6000.

    You better believe the city will stall in court as long as they can. Once it's all said and done they'll wait till the last second to get them in a class. They are in no rush to pay this group."



    Blue2520

    I think we might dodge the bullet on this one. It could easily take 2-3 years if the city does indeed drag it out. By that time the contract will be settled, and many will retire.

  6. #5731
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Last edited by harrynuts; 11-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.

  7. #5732
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrynuts View Post
    I read some info at the Fireside Chat boards that kind of makes sense. Here is a post from one of the members:

    "The city has 90 days to mail out interest cards and come up with a list based on what's returned. They will also have to put an ad in the trib and times. If they don't get close to the 6000 or enough to sastify the court the city will be required to hire a skiptracer to locate as many as they can. They will also be able to mail the cards to personal due to the cour waving the mandatory turning of the cards in person requirement. Then the city has up to 190 days to hold the lotto and to start processing them. They have to offer jobs till they get 112 that except the job and pass all the pre-employment tests. The city has up to 24 months from the time the award is final to have this group START an academy class. They have to all be in the same class and will have a monitor over see the tranning and to "provide support for any special needs due to the candidates being up in age or life experiences that might effect them during training". They will have to submit to all pre-employment tests the were given in 1995. That means no hair test, etc.. once the group starts the academy the city will then have 6 months to payout the rest of the 6000.

    You better believe the city will stall in court as long as they can. Once it's all said and done they'll wait till the last second to get them in a class. They are in no rush to pay this group."



    Blue2520

    I think we might dodge the bullet on this one. It could easily take 2-3 years if the city does indeed drag it out. By that time the contract will be settled, and many will retire.
    I agree. It will be at least 30 months before anyone from that group steps foot in the academy. Fuc* them anyway..

    Manning is the real fight.. I talked to a friend of mine on the job the other day that really feels that they will be going to 4 man companies. I hope it's not true but nothing any of us can do about it anyway.
    I'm just going to try and take a rest from all of this for a bit. Just don't want to worry anymore.

  8. #5733
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    I have a question fellas, obviously it seems like these gentlemen are getting hired ahead of us or at least somewhere down the line. Like blue related Manning is the issue, I've heard different things people saying that they wont take it away due to a meagar pay raise and the mayor not really wanting that in an election year. And then I've heard that besides the city and NY they are the only ones with 5. So it depends on the arbitrator right? (The contract is in arbitration I believe?) I guess lets talk worst case the gentlemen Who won the suit get hired in 2 years they lose Manning except for downtown and they retest in a couple years, any more classes off this list worst case? I heard on the '95 list people were dangling with final processing letters. Any thoughts on this overall? Thanks enjoy the long weekend.

  9. #5734
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    191

    Default

    CFD and FDNY are not the only ones in the country that have 5 man staffing several other departments have 5 man staffing too. FDNY's staffing is actually 6 because the officer is not counted in the staffing. The city has been using manning since the strike as a leverage tool against the union. The city already has something like 60 variances a day and I think with the NIST staffing study that was just released and the Millwaukee issue that the city would lose in arbitration. CFD is currently going through a lot of things right now and things probably won't move forward until a new commish is appointed. The lawsuit isn't a done deal and I'm sure the city is looking into its options. The whole hiring 120 candidates is not their biggest problem its coming up with the 45 million to pay off the rest of the slugs in the group. Just sit back and wait your turn will come.

  10. #5735
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TRUCK61 View Post
    CFD and FDNY are not the only ones in the country that have 5 man staffing several other departments have 5 man staffing too. FDNY's staffing is actually 6 because the officer is not counted in the staffing. The city has been using manning since the strike as a leverage tool against the union. The city already has something like 60 variances a day and I think with the NIST staffing study that was just released and the Millwaukee issue that the city would lose in arbitration. CFD is currently going through a lot of things right now and things probably won't move forward until a new commish is appointed. The lawsuit isn't a done deal and I'm sure the city is looking into its options. The whole hiring 120 candidates is not their biggest problem its coming up with the 45 million to pay off the rest of the slugs in the group. Just sit back and wait your turn will come.
    Truck61-

    I looked into the Millwaukee issue and NIST Study. I can see a manning reduction being a major issue for the mayor come election time. Local 2 would need to take to the streets in an effort to pressure city council not to sign the contract if manning is reduced. The NIST study looks good but the city would argue that 4 man companies show very good response times, etc. I really think the up coming election cycle might just be a saving grace.

    Thanks for the imput!

    link to the Millwaukee issue: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/64187502.html

    Link to the NIST Study: http://www.nist.gov/bfrl/fire_resear...ort_042810.cfm
    Last edited by blue2520; 05-31-2010 at 07:57 PM.

  11. #5736
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Looks like they are bringing some of the CFD Investigation guys back into the firehouses. I wonder how this will affect us candidates.

  12. #5737
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Beverly
    Posts
    415

    Default

    I was at the academy the other day and one of the instructors told me there will be no more classes this year.....only officer training at the academy....We are currently 100 over in manpower also..

  13. #5738
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Hey fellas so it sounds like no more classes this year, man I don't know how you guys feel but I feel like its a lot of kicks to the balls lately with regards to the overstaffing and the recent supreme court ruling. Lets be Frank any more classes off this list? Its hard not to be pessimistic but we'll see I guess. Any thoughts thank you.

  14. #5739
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ILFFPM View Post
    Hey fellas so it sounds like no more classes this year, man I don't know how you guys feel but I feel like its a lot of kicks to the balls lately with regards to the overstaffing and the recent supreme court ruling. Lets be Frank any more classes off this list? Its hard not to be pessimistic but we'll see I guess. Any thoughts thank you.
    It's a real kick in the nuts. I should just change my username to sorenuts.

  15. #5740
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Hard to tell if they will hire off our list. I believe (but not positive) that our PATS expire after one year. So we would likely have to take those again. I think since our test has been proven to be a fair selection process,Chicago will utilize it for a while. But who the hell knows. All I know is I have pretty much adjusted my life as if I will not be hired by Chicago. If it happens great. If not well I will no longer let myself get disappointed.

  16. #5741
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyball View Post
    Hard to tell if they will hire off our list. I believe (but not positive) that our PATS expire after one year. So we would likely have to take those again. I think since our test has been proven to be a fair selection process,Chicago will utilize it for a while. But who the hell knows. All I know is I have pretty much adjusted my life as if I will not be hired by Chicago. If it happens great. If not well I will no longer let myself get disappointed.
    The PAT has an expiration? If that is true, I don't understand why they sent a batch of interest cards and then another batch of interest cards out, when they already had a set of people waiting on final processing. They had to have an idea that they couldn't go through all these people in only a year you are correct in that. I knew that the medicals had an expiration, but I didn't realize the PAT did too.

    I believe that some more people will get hired off the 2006 test someday, just who knows when.

  17. #5742
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    289

    Default

    First off the PAT's do not expire. The CPAT does and we didn't take the CPAT. Whoever started that rumor is full of crap.

    Second, they will be hiring off this list. If (and that is a big if) manning gets cut it will be sometime before hiring will continue but it will at some point. Who gave anyone the idea that hiring off this list is over? This list will be good for a long time and if manning stays intact we'll all get our chance without any doubt. Be patient and keep your eyes on the road. Don't let your mind play tricks on you. Again, the city didn't put us through the PAT or whereever you are in the process to fuc* with you.

    Taking 6 fireman from OFI and putting them back in the houses has no effect on hiring. We're talking about 6 guys.

    All doom and gloom.. Get a grip people. This department isn't falling apart and cleaning house. Let the FD get a new Comish. Let the city and local 2 figure out this contract. Let things run its course. Enjoy your summer and have a little faith.
    Last edited by blue2520; 06-07-2010 at 05:12 PM.

  18. #5743
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Thanks for clearing that up Blue, I did not believe the PAT expired, but I have been wrong before. I'm also with you in that they will hire from this list, its just a matter of when.

  19. #5744
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    335

    Default

    I guess maybe I shouldn't have said anything about the PATS if I wasnt positive but thanks for clearing it up. I thought maybe I read that here or heard it from a reliable source. I have been wrong before lol. And Blue you are right about not being all doom and gloom. I think its more frustration than anything. Things seemed to be moving along until about 3 months ago. Oh well in all honesty I think we will all be ok just a matter of time.

  20. #5745
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Some of you guys need to calm down a bit. Lawsuit and manning reductions suck, but for those of us who are in processing right now, at any stage will be fine. We will be hired it just may take a little longer. They have already put time and money into us and they arent going to throw that away, even if they retest soon (which I doubt they will any time) they will still finish our group and send us in. They are going to need more manning eventually.

    I myself just took the PAT in April and I was originally anticipating starting the academy late 2011. With all that is going on it may be pushed back later. But unless your in late 30's and worried about the age cutoff, I can almost say with 100% certainty that we are gold as long as we pass everything else. Just relax, live your life as normal, stay in shape, and stay out of trouble.

    And for those of you who keep saying "I have always dreamed of becoming a fireman" or whatever. Nothing is stopping you. Get your medic, try and get on a volunteer or part time gig to get your FFII and start testing in the suburbs like the rest of us.
    Last edited by Outlet05; 06-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.

  21. #5746
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blue2520 View Post
    First off the PAT's do not expire. The CPAT does and we didn't take the CPAT. Whoever started that rumor is full of crap.
    Just to clarify the CPAT does not ever expire, as there is no expiration date on the card itself. However, most departments require it be obtained within a year or six months of their test.

  22. #5747
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    37

    Thumbs up

    Blackhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  23. #5748
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truckman111 View Post
    Blackhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bravo!!!!!

    Another beautiful chapter in the history of Chicago.

  24. #5749
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    210

    Default Way to Go

    Thank You Blackhawks...Got a new T-Shirt coming compliments of the Philadelphia Fire Department. GREAT JOB BOYS!!!

  25. #5750
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Loved how the crowd booed Daley and Quinn when they spoke at the parade.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 03-19-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 12:02 AM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 03-15-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 09:15 AM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 03-09-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 08:41 PM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 03-29-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 11:52 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 03-28-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register