Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 230 of 552 FirstFirst ... 130180220227228229230231232233240280330 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,600 of 11028
Like Tree282Likes

Thread: Chicago Fire Exam, March 2006

Forum Member

Default PAT videos

Quote Originally Posted by Labowu View Post
    Does anyone have any more info on this youtube link. I spent yesterday evening searching on youtube and found nothing. Thanks for any assistance.
    ChicagoFD is the poster of the videos.
    there are 5 parts to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoFD#p/u/9/mQ37gEh37iY
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoFD#p/u/8/UolDa6D1JNw
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoFD#p/u/7/nL3zsO2trZw
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoFD#p/u/6/GfPHH78ZLQQ
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoFD#p/u/5/Ei2BDo-Gl7o

Forum Member

How long is this eligibility list good for? Any ideas when they may have another entrance exam?

Forum Member

Thanks 233Wacker. Much obliged.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex77 View Post
    How long is this eligibility list good for? Any ideas when they may have another entrance exam?
    nobody can tell you for sure. but past tests have been offered in 1985, 1995, and 2006. so if i were to GUESS, 2015 would be a conservative estimate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gfdtrk1 View Post
    Does anyone know the number to call to find out what # they left off with? Iím in the 2600 and wondering if they got to my number. Hope they get to me soon Iíll be 38 in September 2010.

Unless you have an interest card in your hand right now, you are pretty much SOL. Your odds of getting in an academy by that date are slim. Start looking at other departments if you want to pursue the profession. Keep in mind that a good majority of them have the age cut-off, and it's usually around 36. Sorry to **** on your party. Just giving you my honest opinion. Good Luck.

Forum Member

If anyone is interested in working out together to prep for what waits for us (getting beat on in the academy) let me know. Been working out evenings at Xport Fitness at Ashland/Belmont/Lincoln. Hoping to continue beating myself into shape, rather than being shredded by instructors once the academy begins.

Forum Member

there going to shred you either way.

Forum Member

I was told that CFD academy is way more demanding physically than the CPD academy I went through. The first few weeks of the academy tend to be the toughest. All I can say is, being in shape when you arrive will be a huge advantage. Not that they'll take it easy on you, but trust me, showing up out of shape is the worst thing any of us could do. Stepping it up now will save a lot of pain down the road.

Forum Member

Default Pt

Make sure to work on your cardio, leg strength and then cardio again. Being strong is great, but will only help a little you when you start sucking wind after running 2-3 blocks. Also, make sure to get use to running on the concrete. The pavement is less forgiving then the treadmill. The key is endurance. how long can you do an exercise for or hold a certain position. You move quickly from one set to the next. There are usually no breaks until you have completed a minimum of 20-25 minutes of continuous work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jarobi View Post
    Make sure to work on your cardio, leg strength and then cardio again. Being strong is great, but will only help a little you when you start sucking wind after running 2-3 blocks. Also, make sure to get use to running on the concrete. The pavement is less forgiving then the treadmill. The key is endurance. how long can you do an exercise for or hold a certain position. You move quickly from one set to the next. There are usually no breaks until you have completed a minimum of 20-25 minutes of continuous work.

anyone have ideas as to how many miles you run in the academy on a daily basis? im guessing it varies, and also how bad someone screws up. been running atleast one mile every day, some days 2-3 miles -

Forum Member

it depends, monday we ran about 6ish? with other exercises of course. today we can only 1.5ish I'd say, but also did a lot of stairs.

Forum Member

I know interest cards were sent out to approximately 2200 for non vets. Does anybody know what the highest number a vet has received is? Any vets who recently received an interest card care to share their number? Trying to figure out where the vet list is at- Thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cpderik View Post
    I was told that CFD academy is way more demanding physically than the CPD academy I went through. The first few weeks of the academy tend to be the toughest. All I can say is, being in shape when you arrive will be a huge advantage. Not that they'll take it easy on you, but trust me, showing up out of shape is the worst thing any of us could do. Stepping it up now will save a lot of pain down the road.
    I took both the CPD and CFD test in 2006. I am just waiting on the next academy date for CPD and waiting on the medical portion for CFD. Since you are currently in the CPD, or for those in the CPD, which is a better career route to take. I am 27 now and would like to choose the best path for myself, but it is driving me insane because they are both good jobs. I would hate to select one and find myself wishing that I would have selected the other. I am just asking for some feed back on both careers to better assist me with my decision.

Forum Member

Chicago82
    My brother in law is a chicago cop, going on 7 years and I have two cousins that are Deputy Sheriffs each on about 4-5 years each.
    My brother in law is dying to get on the fire dept and one of my cousins just got his interest card in this last batch and is super excited and ready to leave his badge behind him.

I also have an Uncle who is a detective and one that is an almost retired firefighter. Each one of them always tell me how much better thier respective job is and which route I should go.

Now, I never carried a badge, but if I had to choose...I'd pick CFD

Tkae that for what its worth

Forum Member

March date still what people are hearing for next date or noone knows??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rockgod View Post
    Chicago82
    My brother in law is a chicago cop, going on 7 years and I have two cousins that are Deputy Sheriffs each on about 4-5 years each.
    My brother in law is dying to get on the fire dept and one of my cousins just got his interest card in this last batch and is super excited and ready to leave his badge behind him.

I also have an Uncle who is a detective and one that is an almost retired firefighter. Each one of them always tell me how much better thier respective job is and which route I should go.

Now, I never carried a badge, but if I had to choose...I'd pick CFD

Tkae that for what its worth
    Thanks for your input Rockgod.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the appropriate contact number at CFD for questions about the application process? Specifically, I went to my doctor on Friday to get the medical release form taken care of for the PAT. All went well, but when I got home I noticed that on the top line where she was supposed to print her name she printed mine. Her signature, stamp, and all the other details are fine. Do I need to get a new form and have her fill it out or since it's just the printed name thats on the wrong line, can I white it out and fill in the appropriate info? I know it sounds trivial, but the last thing I want to do is lose out because of a paperwork error. If I have to get a new form and have it signed again it's no biggie, but who can I call at CFD to verify whats OK and pick up a new form if needed? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

labowu-

try 312-746-6902, ask the first person that answers. be very polite, and be quick about it, and try not to ask any questions they dont have the answers to (when is the next class? when will the pats be?)

Forum Member

Thanks. I called 'em up but couldn't get a concrete answer. It seems Ms. Ghant is the source of all information regarding the application process and she's on vacation until Jan 4. Frustrating because my PAT is on Jan. 5. The nice folks I did talk to said they weren't sure about what I should do, but they thought (as I do) that as long as the signature and stamp are fine then there shouldn't be a problem.

I think what I'll do is make the appropriate change and then go back and have my Doctor initial the change. Better safe than sorry.

Forum Member

Do I need to get a new form and have her fill it out or since it's just the printed name thats on the wrong line, can I white it out and fill in the appropriate info? I know it sounds trivial, but the last thing I want to do is lose out because of a paperwork error. If I have to get a new form and have it signed again it's no biggie.

Can anyone help this future brother out? Can anyone who has the form and has NOT filled it out yet get in touch with this guy and get him a blank copy? I really don't think he's gonna have a problem, but to give him some piece of mind, maybe someone can step up. It's a good habit to get into early...This job is all about watching each other's back!

Thread Information